is there such a thing as too much vegetables?

getridofmytit

Awards
Im currently 5'11, 245lbs, down from about 300. I lost most of my weigh last year, and have sort of hovered between the 235-245 zone in the past year.

Recently, I decided to get back on plan and try and get down to 195.

Here is what I had today:

Breakfast (12:00 AM - woke up at 11:30) Vegetables with 1/2 cup hummus. handful almonds

Workout 45 minutes cardio

Lunch 2:30 - 1 chicken breast . 1 tbsp peanut butter. 1 diet 7up

Snack 4:30 - Starbucks Vivanno Smoothie (250 cals)

Dinner 7:30 - 8oz scallops sauteed with 1/4 onion and olive oil. 1 cup spinach. 3/4 head caulifower mashed with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt/pepper.

My question is: I feel really full from my dinner, but its mostly because of the large volume of vegetables - a lot of spinach and even more cauliflower. my question is, will this get in the way of losing weight due to the volume of food, or does it come down to a caloric figure at the end of the day?

Thanks!

dpfisher

When you get green diarrhea you've had too many vegetables.

annac

Awards
filling up on vegetables is not a bad thing..its low calorie,and full of fiber so it keeps you full, and you won't end up snacking during late night..you'll poo it out da next morning lol

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
some vegetables take more energy to break down than they contain, which is nice lettuce,celery,etc. but others like carrots do contain like 7g sugar, so you cant just go hog wild with those.

sorry to say but calories are calories, and too much can be a bad thing ( depending on your goal ) granted, your body will use them a lot more efficiently than processed carbs.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
some vegetables take more energy to break down than they contain, which is nice lettuce,celery,etc. but others like carrots do contain like 7g sugar, so you cant just go hog wild with those.

sorry to say but calories are calories, and too much can be a bad thing ( depending on your goal ) granted, your body will use them a lot more efficiently than processed carbs.
a calorie IS NOT a calorie!!!

they all have different ways of which the bodys metabolism breaks them down, and they have different responces on blood sugar

300g protein is NOT equal to 300g carbs due to insulin responce

there fore a calorie is not a calorie

eat maintence calories on protein and fat. or eat it on protein and carbs. youll loss weight with the ketogenic type not the other reguardless of if they are the same calories or not!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In short, no. You don't really have an extreme amount as is. At most, you're having 4 servings of produce, which is right about where you should be.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
a calorie IS NOT a calorie!!!

they all have different ways of which the bodys metabolism breaks them down, and they have different responces on blood sugar

300g protein is NOT equal to 300g carbs due to insulin responce

there fore a calorie is not a calorie

eat maintence calories on protein and fat. or eat it on protein and carbs. youll loss weight with the ketogenic type not the other reguardless of if they are the same calories or not!

so uh did you even read the rest of my post where i said that the body would use the vegetables better than processed carbs?
or you didnt think that was important.

obviously 1000 cals of sugar is not the same as 1000 cals of beef.

the point that i made is that if you do eat 2000 excess calories worth of vegetables they will still turn to fat even though they are *gasp* vegetables.

wow.

muaythaiking

Awards
Wait... how many calories are you eating a day? Combined with exercise it sounds pretty low... Have you considered you may be starving yourself? Google starvation mode

"This trigger fluctuates from person to person, but generally, starvation mode kicks in below 1,200 calories. When you go below 1,200 calories per day, your body will start hoarding energy. The effect will be a slowdown in the total amount of calories your body burns each day. Your weight loss will stop and even reverse."

You don't want this...