starting over after 19 years

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
At age 23 I hit the gym for the first time and in 8 months I was in pretty good shape. Well off to school, got my degrees, the girl, the job the kid and bang here I am, 6'4" and weighing in at 270 lbs. The arms and legs are in pretty good shape considering but the gut is bad. So I got a gym membership last week and it feels good. Now the routine includes light cardo for 25 min on incline bike--I'm not going to give myself a heart attack in the first week. Also I know enough to go light on the weights. My routine is as follows

Day 1. Back and Biceps
4 sets 10 reps each
Back
cable pull downs
incline cable rows
decline cable rows
bent over barbell rows
Biceps (lots of different exercises) for example
barbell curls
Incline Angled Dumbbell Curls
seated preacher curls (cable)
decline dumbbell curls

Day 2. Chest and triceps
bench press
fly machine
decline dumbbell press
dumbell pullovers
incline press

nose busters
close grip bench press
rope pushdowns
single reverse arm extensions using cables

day 3 legs and shoulders
squats
hack squat machine
leg extension machine
leg press machine

seated Two Arm Dumbbell Raises Over Head
One Arm Front Deltoid Dumbbell Raises
Standing Low Cable Deltoid Raises
Reverse Incline Dumbbell Flyes

Day 4 calf and hamsting
Seated Single Leg Calf Raises
Leg Press Machine Calf Press

One Leg Lying Curls
Barbell Deadlifts

I'm going to sub HIIT for my cardio staring next week. I need advice on diet and supplements. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Heavypieces

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
8 am Starbucks coffee cake 210 cal
11 am 1 zero carb isopure protein drink 220 cal
11 am workout quads and shoulders and HIIT -1000 cal ?
1 pm turkey and jack on whole wheat lettuce, tomato and onion 421 cal
3 pm 1 zero carb isopure protein drink 220 cal
6 pm chicken breast, wing with skin rice and beans and 2 tortillas 1162 cals

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
by the way since I am focusing on my waist--I wear size 42 right now. My goal is to be wearing 38s in 6 months.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now thats a good days worth of clean High Protein diet right there...

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Thanks--I'm going to dump the coffee cake starting tomorrow. It's hard to let go.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
today was back, biceps and 15 min HIIT on the reclining stationary bike. interval = 1 min moderatae fast 30 sec full speed.

I ran into my buddy JJ at the gym today. I use to work out with him. Dude is huge and ripped now.

7 am breakfast 2 cups Cheerios with one cup 2% milk 220 cal
isopure protein shake 50 g protein 220 cal
8 am hit the gym
10 am banana 105 cal
isopure protein drink 220 cal
glass of orange juice 100 cal

12 pm
2 rubio's fish taco especial 340 cal total

4 pm dinner 1102 cal
2 chicken breasts
1 wing
rice and beans

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Rest and Refeed

fat 116 g
CHO 215 g
Protein 205 g
Total Cal 2200

Any advice is appreciated.

keeper

Congrats on deciding to live longer and stay healthier! I am such an advocate of HIIT. It proved itself to me. Good luck to you.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Congrats on deciding to live longer and stay healthier! I am such an advocate of HIIT. It proved itself to me. Good luck to you.
Thanks!! I have a 4 year old son and I want to live a long, active life with him.

H

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be better if you get your calories spread out a little more. 2200 is a little on the low side but not horrifying, but with more than half of it being the last meal of the nite isn't optimal.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
It would be better if you get your calories spread out a little more. 2200 is a little on the low side but not horrifying, but with more than half of it being the last meal of the nite isn't optimal.
Breakfast

Oatmeal 2 packs 260 cal

mid morning snack

granola bar 180 cal
raisins 130 cal

Workout at noon

Lunch

Turkey sandwich on whole wheat 360 cal

Dinner

2 chicken breast 375 cal
1 wing 83 cal
pinto beans 77 cal
4 oz rice 160 cal

fat 56 g
cho 230 g
protein 220 g

Today I felt weak in the gym. I couldn't finish sets and strength was way down. Switched my HIIT to after weights.

One more thing I weighed in this morning 265 lbs. Down 5 lbs. Not bad for 10 days in the gym and changing my diet.

H

keeper

Stick with it. You will never regret it if you do. It's hard at first, but soon you will feel off-kilter if you have to miss a w/o.

2 big questions. Are you using a pre-w/o stimulant? What supplements are you using to support your plan?

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Stick with it. You will never regret it if you do. It's hard at first, but soon you will feel off-kilter if you have to miss a w/o.

2 big questions. Are you using a pre-w/o stimulant? What supplements are you using to support your plan?
No stimulants except coffee in the morning and I am only using the protein supplement right now. Isopure whey. I've been reading and trying to educate myself regarding exercise, supplements and diet.

swollwilliams

swollwilliams

Awards
  • Established
i think your entire approach is pretty solid. sure, you could tweak a few things here and there (don't lock yourself into 4 sets, 10 reps) for all your exercises..mix it up based on how you feel- diet looks pretty good.. workouts- variety of exercises, cardio, looks good as well. just stay focused, get your rest, and the results will follow. look forward to some progress posts.. any chance of before, during, and after pics?

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
i think your entire approach is pretty solid. sure, you could tweak a few things here and there (don't lock yourself into 4 sets, 10 reps) for all your exercises..mix it up based on how you feel- diet looks pretty good.. workouts- variety of exercises, cardio, looks good as well. just stay focused, get your rest, and the results will follow. look forward to some progress posts.. any chance of before, during, and after pics?
Thanks. I swap out different excercises but keep the theme constant. I have pics but I want to make some progress first.

keeper

No stimulants except coffee in the morning and I am only using the protein supplement right now. Isopure whey. I've been reading and trying to educate myself regarding exercise, supplements and diet.
I'm not that savy on male sups, other than what I have learned from reading here, so I hope the guys will tweak this list of suggestions:

* a good multi-vitamin
* BCAA's
* fish oil gelcaps
* creatine (I suggest powdered KreAlkaline,)
* appetite suppressant such as Anabolic Extreme's SlimX
* pre-work out stim such as Jack3d

The pre-w/o stim will increase your energy level resulting in a longer, more intense w/o and better focus. It makes a huge difference. Don't take it within 4 hours of the appetite suppressant, though. There are online discount supplement companies where you should be able to get everything you need all in one stop. These products will make a huge difference for you.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
legs and shoulders today followed by HIIT. I felt pretty good in the gym.

breakfast
2 cups of wheaties w/ milk 460 cal

lunch

chicken breast 232 cal

preworkout isopure protein drink 220 cal

workout 3:30 pm

post workout isopure protein drink 220 cal

dinner

chicken breast and thigh 250 cal
apple 95 cal
peanuts 300 cal

started triple omega supplement and multi vitamin today.

fat 60 g
cho 135 g
protein 278 g

2100 calories

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Back and shoulders today. Didn't sleep well last night and felt tired in the gym.

Breakfast

Wheaties and milk. 264 cal
banana 121 cal

Lunch

La Salsa overstuffed chicken burrito 1200 cal

preworkout snack

isopure whey drink 220 cal

workout

post workout

isopure whey protein drink

dinner

Wheaties and milk 460 cal.

Fat 82 g,
CHO 280 g
protein 21o g

Not a good day for my diet. I didn't know the burrito was 1200 calories until I finished it off. I won't do that again.

H

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Moved from size 42 Levi 501's to size 40 today. It's been 3 years since I wore a size 40. A month ago I was looking at size 44's.

Progress.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
chest and triceps and HIIT yesterday.

Fat 66 g
CHO 227 g
protein 218 g
2310 calories

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
legs shoulders and HIIT today.

Fat 55 g
CHO 204 g
Protein 239 g

2140 calories

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
can I get some guidance on the ratio of fat to CHO to protein.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
I'm not that savy on male sups, other than what I have learned from reading here, so I hope the guys will tweak this list of suggestions:

* a good multi-vitamin
* BCAA's
* fish oil gelcaps
* creatine (I suggest powdered KreAlkaline,)
* appetite suppressant such as Anabolic Extreme's SlimX
* pre-work out stim such as Jack3d

The pre-w/o stim will increase your energy level resulting in a longer, more intense w/o and better focus. It makes a huge difference. Don't take it within 4 hours of the appetite suppressant, though. There are online discount supplement companies where you should be able to get everything you need all in one stop. These products will make a huge difference for you.
I have high bp so I can't take a stimulant.

keeper

Okay so scratch the SlimX and Jack3d. The other sups will help as far as muscle recovery and such.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
been a couple of days--however I am still working out.

today

Legs and HIIT

fat 53 g
CHO 201 g
protein 242 g

2200 calories

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
I weighed in at 264 lbs today but I am bouncing between 264 and 268 lbs.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
So here is the plan now. Continue what I am doing now. Lift, HIIT, good diet 2100 calories 40, 40, 20, omega supplement and a multivitamin. In the next few weeks I will add creatine and see what that does.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Okay so scratch the SlimX and Jack3d. The other sups will help as far as muscle recovery and such.
I'm just going to have to deal with being hungry. It's a problem after dinner usually. I'll just have to suck it up.

keeper

That's the hardest time of day. Keep goodies like celery, carrots, cucumbers, and cauliflower washed and cut up for dipping in a low carb, fat-free ranch dressing. Having them washed and handy will make them more appealing. There are also some good sugar-free ice creams, but watch the carb content. Apples are good, but bananas, oranges, and even grapefruit have a lot of sugar. I have a friend who has a bowl of Special K in skim milk when the night time munchies hit. Just don't use a big bowl!

Congrats on your loss so far. Hang in there.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
shoulders and HIIT today.

2006 calories total

breakfast

oatmeal 3 pouches 389 cal
milk 2% 1/3 cup 41 cal

lunch

chicken burrito 593 calories

preworkout whey drink 220 cal

workout 4 pm

post workout whey drink 220 cal

peanuts 170 cal

dinner

2 chicken breasts 374 cal

fat 49 g
cho 191 g
protein 215 g

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
yesterday back, biceps and HIIT

2208 calories

fat 65g
cho 233 g
protein 212 g

bouncing between 264 and 262 lbs right now.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
chest and tricep no cardio

1991 calories

fat 46g
cho 186 g
protein 233 g

felt strong in the gym today

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
what time of day are you training usually. i'd also suggest a product called Cuts 2 by prolab if you can't take stims. very cheap and greatly helped me for my contest diet.

are you trying to make this a log and is it your first?

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
your diet seems strange...seems like you are just cutting back portions and cals and eating cleaner but not to a point where its anal. this simply a weight loss goal? just looking for details sorry to annoy!

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
your diet seems strange...seems like you are just cutting back portions and cals and eating cleaner but not to a point where its anal. this simply a weight loss goal? just looking for details sorry to annoy!

So far I am working on gaining control of my diet and getting in the gym. My focus right now is to cut fat down to 210 lbs followed by gaining lean muscle.

Here is the plan so far. 6 days in the gym one day off.

day 1 chest/tri
day 2 back/bi
day 3 legs/shoulders
repeat 1-3
rest

eating 2200 calories per day to cut fat. High protein to keep what little muscle I have.

Drink lots of water.

On my rest day eat a cheat meal.

I'm just learning right now so any feedback is desired. I'm spending as much time as I can learning.

Heavypieces

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Oh, one more thing. I do 15 minutes of HIIT everyday I am in the gym.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
I posted an progress picture of me at day 11. To me it looks like I am losing trunk fat.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
what time of day are you training usually. i'd also suggest a product called Cuts 2 by prolab if you can't take stims. very cheap and greatly helped me for my contest diet.

I work a lot so the time of day varies.

30% of the time I am in there around or before lunch.
60% of the time after work
10% before work

Just trying to find the right time for me and my family.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards

I am posting this instead of blogging in an effort to get some quick feedback. The plan was to move to a blog after I get enough feedback to formulate a clear plan.

I will look into the Cuts 2. Thanks!

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
I'm just going to have to deal with being hungry. It's a problem after dinner usually. I'll just have to suck it up.
I carry little flavoured cans of tuna on me for snacks. Low fat, good oils, high protein and tastes great.

Keep SFW bud. Just make sure and keep the intensity up and you'll get there much quicker than you think. :)

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
So far I am working on gaining control of my diet and getting in the gym. My focus right now is to cut fat down to 210 lbs followed by gaining lean muscle.

Here is the plan so far. 6 days in the gym one day off.

day 1 chest/tri
day 2 back/bi
day 3 legs/shoulders
repeat 1-3
rest

eating 2200 calories per day to cut fat. High protein to keep what little muscle I have.

Drink lots of water.

On my rest day eat a cheat meal.

I'm just learning right now so any feedback is desired. I'm spending as much time as I can learning.

Heavypieces
great job thus far...i love seeing progress. its good you are making gains with this freelance diet but eventually that may need to change when your weight loss slows. happens to us all so don't worry.

cuts 2 isn't WOW but you'll def benefit or at least give you an idea of some future supplementation. also look into CLA and/or a good EFA stack. add asparagus to your diet and lots of it! leave carbs concentrated around your workouts. i'd also incorporate some low intensity cardio first thing when you wake on a empty stomach and use something like the cuts 2 before and after the cardio session.

just a few simply tricks you probably already know just spitting them out. until you get to that point of really mapping out your diet and supps all you're going ot be able to do is easy tweaks like these...then again if it isn't broke don't fix it. keep it up and keep us updated!

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
great job thus far...i love seeing progress. its good you are making gains with this freelance diet but eventually that may need to change when your weight loss slows. happens to us all so don't worry.

cuts 2 isn't WOW but you'll def benefit or at least give you an idea of some future supplementation. also look into CLA and/or a good EFA stack. add asparagus to your diet and lots of it! leave carbs concentrated around your workouts. i'd also incorporate some low intensity cardio first thing when you wake on a empty stomach and use something like the cuts 2 before and after the cardio session.

just a few simply tricks you probably already know just spitting them out. until you get to that point of really mapping out your diet and supps all you're going ot be able to do is easy tweaks like these...then again if it isn't broke don't fix it. keep it up and keep us updated!
Thanks! I have to add some greens to my diet--so asparagus is it. I was thinking a lot of spinach too. After doing much reading I expected to hit a wall at some point. I'll just deal with that when it happens.

Heavypieces

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
cheat day.

2700 calories

fat 74 g
cho 375 g
protein 151 g

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I carry little flavoured cans of tuna on me for snacks. Low fat, good oils, high protein and tastes great.
they also have it in the silver foil packets, which are easier to drop into a backack, and lighter

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Legs, shoulders and HIIT today.

Workout

ATG squats
hack squats
leg extensions
leg curls

seated DB press
upright barbell rows
front DB raises super set with DB lat raises

1900 calories

fat 63.7 g
CHO 125 g
protein 214 g

felt strong during my workout and my legs are sore.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I started with what I believe to be a similar body type to yours; carry most of my weight in the midsection and thighs. The macro ratio that worked really well for me is 50/30/20 P/F/C. If you are looking for a supplement that will not effect your BP than you cannot go wrong with USP Labs Anabolic Pump; the best fat loss, muscle building product that I have ran into. Do some reading on the USP section, you will find it is extremely effective and that in conjunction with Recreate is an excellent fat loss stack. Recreate has a SMALL amount of caffeine in it, 25 mg per pill I think, and no other stims so you should be fine with this even if it a low dose. Give those two a look and ask questions in the USP section, I think you will be happy with the results.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
I started with what I believe to be a similar body type to yours; carry most of my weight in the midsection and thighs. The macro ratio that worked really well for me is 50/30/20 P/F/C. If you are looking for a supplement that will not effect your BP than you cannot go wrong with USP Labs Anabolic Pump; the best fat loss, muscle building product that I have ran into. Do some reading on the USP section, you will find it is extremely effective and that in conjunction with Recreate is an excellent fat loss stack. Recreate has a SMALL amount of caffeine in it, 25 mg per pill I think, and no other stims so you should be fine with this even if it a low dose. Give those two a look and ask questions in the USP section, I think you will be happy with the results.
Thanks!! Going to the supplement store in about 30 min to load up on whey again.

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Back and Biceps today

overhead rows
lat pull downs
rows
straight leg dead lift

barbell curls
DB curls
preacher bench cable

diet

breakfast

3 cups wheaties with 1 cup milk 450 calories
isopure whey drink 210 cal

workout 7 am

whey drink 210 cal

lunch chicken burrito 629 calories

dinner 3 breast of chicken 426 calories

fat49 g
CHO 167 g
protein 232 g

1950 calories

At the end of work today somone asked if I have been losing weight.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
At the end of work today somone asked if I have been losing weight.
Gotta love that. It's just the beginning champ! Soon enough people will start giving you the, "Holy **** you've been working out!"

Keep up the great work!

:thumbsup: