Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I, like many other people, think that pre and post workout nutrition is vital to making quality muscle gains. So i figured id make a post for everyone to share their regimens and help get things rolling on this new board.

Heres mine:

Right before I leave: 100% whey protein shake, two uniliver tabs.

During training: 5 grams of BCAA's that I mixed into my water bottle. The taste is real bitter but i just keep mixing it water from the fountain whenever i can to dilute the solution as much as possible.

Directly after: 2 scoops, roughly 55 grams, of my personal dextrose/maltodextrin 50/50 mix w/ 5 grams creatine (glutamine as well during cuts) and 1 gram of vitamin c for antioxidant purposes. Followed by another scoop of 100% whey protein.

Any one else care to share theirs or offer any tips on the topic?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Pre-WO ai usually dont do anything except for the following:

40mg Ephedrine, 300mg Caffeine, and 2 81mg asprin and an Animal Pack and (if I have it )1 scoop Phosphagen HP.

Post-WO I ALWAYS do the following:

120g Maltodextrin and about 30g protein (BigMax weight gainer)and 5g glutamine

30 mins later, 1 scoop whey (about 25g protein) and 1-2 tablepsoons of penut butter

Before Bed:

1.5 cupsCottage cheese and 1 scoop Whey and 5g glutamine

Resolute

Awards
Pre-WO : SWOLE + 1scoop Betagen(almost out and dont plan on replacing it) mixed w/1.5-3grams (really depends on how sick I feel thinking about its powdered fishbone flavor) L-Arginine (this stuff can ruin the taste of anything). 2-3 glasses of water.

During WO - Nothing. My body temp is usually way up and I sweat like crazy. I find that in the past when i drank anything during my workout, it shut the inferno down and hosed my drive. Maybe because the blood going to my stomach.

Post WO - 40-50 Grams Optimum 100% whey, 50 grams of Optimum Glycoload, 1 scoop of Phosphagen HP(33grams dextrose). I usually use this to chase the 9 -12 optimum 2222 amino acid horse pills after I chew them up (They actually taste good, plus I almost choked to death trying to swallow these f***ers).

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sorry, meant to post this in nutrition from the get go.

Ill also down some EC if im feeling a little tired or always if im on a cut. I try not to use it too much otherwise becuase they I just become dependent upon it and thus have to take it just to feel like "normal."

Before bed I use my mix of casein, egg, and whey along with a shot of efa oil.

Resolute, I cant imagine amino tabs actually tasting good. I use optimum's bcaa powder and it tastes absolutely awful. Im starting to get used to it though.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
I, like many other people, think that pre and post workout nutrition is vital to making quality muscle gains. So i figured id make a post for everyone to share their regimens and help get things rolling on this new board.

Heres mine:

Right before I leave: 100% whey protein shake, two uniliver tabs.

During training: 5 grams of BCAA's that I mixed into my water bottle. The taste is real bitter but i just keep mixing it water from the fountain whenever i can to dilute the solution as much as possible.

Directly after: 2 scoops, roughly 55 grams, of my personal dextrose/maltodextrin 50/50 mix w/ 5 grams creatine (glutamine as well during cuts) and 1 gram of vitamin c for antioxidant purposes. Followed by another scoop of 100% whey protein.

Any one else care to share theirs or offer any tips on the topic?
the amount of carbs seems good (possibly a bit low) but you and lifeguard only use 25g of protein? I use 35-40 with 65-70 carbs. how do others feel about the amounts?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Re: Re: Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...

the amount of carbs seems good (possibly a bit low) but you and lifeguard only use 25g of protein? I use 35-40 with 65-70 carbs. how do others feel about the amounts?
Correction, I use 30g protein and 120g malto immediately post-workout, and 30 minutes later I do 25g protein

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
About 1hr PreWO, I eat 4 whole eggs, 2 whites, 1 scoop isopure w/1 tbsp flax, 1 slice fat free cheese, 1 tbsp PB. I make a shake(70g dex/70g whey, 10g creatine), I split it in half, sip one as I workout, and slam the rest as soon as I finish. Then I go home, 1hr later eat 2 cans tuna and 1.5 cups oatmeal.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
You guys complicate it so well..wow! I get a quart of milk, toss in 2 scoops of optimum, and I drink it...right after working out.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
Does it work for you? That much milk and I'll be on the shitter. Milk postworkout a little slow absorbing.

whale

Awards
spike it

I always like to spike the insulin right after workout then take in some protein maybe in the range of 35-40g. I usually take a shot of insulin so that is how i do it but sugar works well in replacment. I like to get the insulin going so that the protein can carem through the cell without delay. The only thing I would question would be the protein b4 workout. Protein creates glucogon which in turn hinders and supresses insulin. So i might have to say that that is a bad idea. also the act of breaking down the protein would steel much needed blood to the muscle which inturn hinders the "pump" or the nutrients making it to the muscle rapidly. Just my 2 cents

Whale

R.I.C.

Awards
On a cutting cycle.

Preworkout: (1.5 hrs before W/O)
small Banana, granola bar (~100 cals), fat free yoghurt (~90 cals)

Postworkout:
40g Dextrose mixed with 30g Sucrose
10g Amino acid powder (contains the 9 essential amino's)
10g Hydrosalted Whey
5g BCAA
1000mg Vitamin C
250IU Vitamin E
Multivitamin & Mineral

I mix the 3 powders together, and scoop it into my mouth, and drink it down with the glucose/sucrose drink.

Even though I'm on a cutting cycle, I'm definitely harder and more pumped after ingesting my postworkout mix, than I was when I used to do the old WPI mixed with Milk routine.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
On a cutting cycle.

Preworkout: (1.5 hrs before W/O)
small Banana, granola bar (~100 cals), fat free yoghurt (~90 cals)

Postworkout:
40g Dextrose mixed with 30g Sucrose
10g Amino acid powder (contains the 9 essential amino's)
10g Hydrosalted Whey
5g BCAA
1000mg Vitamin C
250IU Vitamin E
Multivitamin & Mineral

I mix the 3 powders together, and scoop it into my mouth, and drink it down with the glucose/sucrose drink.

Even though I'm on a cutting cycle, I'm definitely harder and more pumped after ingesting my postworkout mix, than I was when I used to do the old WPI mixed with Milk routine.
only 10 g protein post workout? (even on a cut and the added amino acids, that seems awefully low)

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Pre- 6 liver tabs

Post - Gatorade mix (60g dex/sucrose) 40g MaxPro (WPC, K Caseinate, WPI), 5g Creatine

One hour after - Whole food meal.

Blindfaith

Awards
im doing a keto diet right now so before i go i have 4 eggs and 6 pieces of bacon with 3oz of cheese along with 4 liver tabs.....and after i have a whey isolate shake with 2tbsp of flax seed oil.

true_c

Awards
TO ALL THOSE TAKING MORE THAN 20-25g OF WHEY POST WORKOUT

you guys dont need any more than 20g - resolute, that 50g ur takin, definately too much. ur body just isnt goin to use that much. it cant.

take ur 20g post workout, then later have a nice big p/w meal

here's what i do

2hr pre-wo: meal high in protien, and some higher GI carbs

1hr pre-wo: 3/4tsp baking soda+2.5g creatine in grape juice (50g sugars)

drink a whole helluva lotta water til wo and during wo

immediately post-wo: 3/4 tsp baking soda+2.5g creatine in grape juice (50g sugars)

30 min later: 20g optimum 100% whey in water

30-45 min later (i cant wait much longer - so hungry) - meal w/ about 40g protein, 60-70g carbs,20g fat (debating whether or not to remove fat for quicker digestion, and save fat for next meal...any ideas guys?)

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I try to get majority of cals from protein and carbs PW. So, I would drop the fat and substitute those cals in carbs, i.e. more oatmeal instead of pb

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
my routine usually starts with:

waking up at 4:00am and making-

2 cups oatmeal
10 egg whites
=770 cals, 108 carbs, 30 prot, 12 fat

then i go back to sleep for 2 hrs and have either-

a Myoplex or a Metrx MRP with a half a cup of milk.....
290-320 cals, 23-27 carbs, 45-48 prot, 2-3 fat

I drink nothing but water during my workout...... (to let the Natural GH your body makes during the training take place)

Immediately after the last weight hits the floor i have

1 scoop Pure Pro Whey Isolate
3 TBLS of Pure Honey
=400 cals, 55 carbs, 26 protien, 0 fat

45 mins after my shake i go to the house and eat

2 cups oatmeal
10 egg whites
=770 cals, 108 carbs, 26 prot, 12 fat

and then i make sure i get another high protien meal within 2.5 hrs after my postworkout MEAL!

The majority of my carb intake is in the morning and i usually eat 7 meals a day and no more than 40-50 carbs after 11 am.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
TRUE-c

If i were you id make sure that the fat is from a good source and there will be no prob... by the way whats the baking soda for???

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Whale-- can you email me i need to talk to you about the insulin?????

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
wildman....pretty damn similar to my preworkout routine. wake up round 5, eat 1/3 cup oatmeal, 1 slice wheat toast, 1 banana, 4 egg whites w/ 1 whole egg, 1 serving protein drink. (GO BACK TO BED) for about 2 hours. down another serving of protein....gym (taking approx 7 grams of glutamine/bcaa during. followed by post drink that contains 45-50 grams dextrose/malt mix, 30 grams whey, about 7 grams creatine. 1 hours later...chicken/brown rice combo (always)

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
bro been doing this for like 3 months now and loving every second....

Ceaze

Awards
Immediately before and after workout:
100g carbs
20g protein

During workout:
20g BCAA's

crazypete

Awards
2-2.5 hrs before - full meal + B vit complex
0.5 hrs before 1 scoop whey (22g) in 4oz milk and 50g of honey (releases slower than table sugar, even though it has the same ratio of glucose to fructose)
during workout - two scoops gatorade in 1L of water (68g carbs) + usually 2L of water (a liter is a tad more than a quart) when the gatorade is gone.
immediately post workout - 2 scoops whey (optimum 100% whey), 15mL flax oil, 100-150g fast carbs (dextrose or maltodextrin), 500mg vit C, 400 IU vit E, 50mg selenium
1 hr post - full meal

BTW i weigh 185±

in the summer i put on 15 lbs lean muscle using this in 16 weeks. i worked an average of at least 70 hrs a week, used creatine for the first 8 weeks and not one sip of booze (of course the first week back to school was a bender)

for true_c: my body can easily use more than 20 grams of protein post workout, you try 5 sets of 5 reps of squats at 275 (ass to grass), 3x12 leg press at 800, and 5x5 of 365 deads. the 50 or so i take in may be a little high, but 20 is jokes, better 10 more than 10 short. although one does need carbs. you have no idea how many idiots in my gym sip on their protein right after and wonder why they don't grow (hmm, could the body be using the protein for energy,... a very sarcastic NOOOOO)

cheers, pete

PS true_c i am not flaming you, just am in dissagreement

crazypete

Awards
the idea of baking soda is too buffer the lactic acid in the blood. there are some problems for SOME people, mainly the dose required leads to upset stomachs (diarrhea - good times), also there are issues with messing up the electrolyte balances in the body. this can have a large impact on the endocrine system.

time to study, cheers, pete

Kay

Awards
my routine usually starts with:

waking up at 4:00am and making-

2 cups oatmeal
10 egg whites
=770 cals, 108 carbs, 30 prot, 12 fat

then i go back to sleep for 2 hrs and have either-

a Myoplex or a Metrx MRP with a half a cup of milk.....
290-320 cals, 23-27 carbs, 45-48 prot, 2-3 fat

I drink nothing but water during my workout...... (to let the Natural GH your body makes during the training take place)

Immediately after the last weight hits the floor i have

1 scoop Pure Pro Whey Isolate
3 TBLS of Pure Honey
=400 cals, 55 carbs, 26 protien, 0 fat

45 mins after my shake i go to the house and eat

2 cups oatmeal
10 egg whites
=770 cals, 108 carbs, 26 prot, 12 fat

and then i make sure i get another high protien meal within 2.5 hrs after my postworkout MEAL!

The majority of my carb intake is in the morning and i usually eat 7 meals a day and no more than 40-50 carbs after 11 am.
if you have toast with your eggs, you can add about 10 more grams of protein to your meal, plus it "may" give you a better amino acid profile.
Egg whites only have 3g of protein ? i count 1 egg as usually 405 g or protein and yolks have no protein?? I am confused about the eggs? 1 egg = 3g only??

You can add some more simple carbs post workout to increase insulin response so any protein you eat for about 1.5 hours post workout can get sucked in to your cells.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
immediately post workout - 2 scoops whey (optimum 100% whey), 15mL flax oil, 100-150g fast carbs (dextrose or maltodextrin), 500mg vit C, 400 IU vit E, 50mg selenium
1 hr post - full meal

15mL of flax....why you adding it to your post? why would you want to slow down absorption at all?

crazypete

Awards
hey kay, the toast would give you some protein (like 5g), but it is an incomplete source so most people don't count it. also, eggs already have an ideal amino acid profile.

whole egg - 6g protein, 3 in yolk, 3 in whites, fat ~5g

sage, i don't know why i add it post other than charles poliquin recommended so (i'm not kidding, that's my reason). however, i doubt that the few minutes difference would matter and it could actually help. a study i saw compared only whey vs only casein post workout. guess which was better. that's right, the casein. now you might be surprised, but allow me to explain. it is true that the whey gets into the blood and therefore the muscle faster stopping the catabolism, but this effect is short lived. by one hour after, the muscles had slipped into catabolism (some people don't eat again within two hrs - fools). in the casein group it took longer for the protein to get to the muscles, but once supplied, it continues for like 4-7 hrs preventing further catabolism, and this effect is enough to more than make up for its slow initial absorption.

so what is the lesson i learned? take only casein? hell no take both and get greater benefits than either alone. note that casein can be switched for any other slow protein, like meat, etc. there is enough casein in my milk that i mix my post shake in to get me to my next meal an hour or two later.

cheers, pete

MySoulFindsRest

Awards
2 hours before working out: whole food meal with 600 mgs ALA.
1 hour preworkout: 5 grams BCAAs.
Half hour preworkout: 12.5 mgs of ephedrine, 100 mgs of caffiene, 1 mg intranasal yohimbine hcl, i serving of SAN's V-12
Right before the fact: Another 1 mg of yohimbine hcl intranasal, 5 grams BCAAs.
During workout: Water.
Post workout: 75 grams dextrose, 42 grams whey, 10 grams BCAAs, 1 gram vit C, 600-900 mgs of ALA
An hour later: Whole foods(usually chicken and brown rice), 600 mgs ALA

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
2 hours before working out: whole food meal with 600 mgs ALA.
1 hour preworkout: 5 grams BCAAs.
Half hour preworkout: 12.5 mgs of ephedrine, 100 mgs of caffiene, 1 mg intranasal yohimbine hcl, i serving of SAN's V-12
Right before the fact: Another 1 mg of yohimbine hcl intranasal, 5 grams BCAAs.
During workout: Water.
Post workout: 75 grams dextrose, 42 grams whey, 10 grams BCAAs, 1 gram vit C, 600-900 mgs of ALA
An hour later: Whole foods(usually chicken and brown rice), 600 mgs ALA
WOW! You're a busy guy. I thought I was anal.

MySoulFindsRest

Awards
lol :D
Where is the line between dedication, and dementia?

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I think you found it and ran right over it

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
That line is usually only visible to those outside of the situation. :D

ManBeast

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is certainly the biggest thread ive ever started. Thanks for all the good info boys, keep it comin....

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I think I've posted my regimen prior, but I've revised it, so here it goes:

Wake-1.5 cups oatmeal, 2 cups skim milk, 1 scoop whey. Then, I take 600mgs ALA. Then I train, PWS-one-third cup dextrose, 45g whey, 600 mgs ALA, 3 liver tabs. 45 min later-1.5 cups oatmeal, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup pineapple, 2 cups skim milk. There you have it.

MySoulFindsRest

Awards
I don't remember seeing the line. It was too long ago when I crossed it. My whole day is just about that busy, not just around my workout.

Your a pretty busy guy too scotty.

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
Pre-Workout: Don't do anything special, usually just some slices of bread for the carbs...

Post-Workout:Fill one Bottle up with 2 Scoops Syntrax Nectar 46 G Protein...then fill another bottle with 2 cups of a fruit juice(Grape, Apple, Lemonade, Orange, etc.) and 5-7 G Creatine.

I have a bag of Dextrose from NOW Nutrition, do you think it would be more beneficial for me to add some dextrose to the bottle of juice with creatine in it, and if so how much because usually it already contains 50 g of carbs.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
boy howdy :D ... sure did find this one late...

bulking, preworkout: muscle milk strawberry, really preworkout is the only time I would ever use it but damn... works wonders, great workouts with the ole muscle milk...

cutting, maint., and bulk, post w/o: whey and dex baby...

by the way, somebody earlier said...

you guys dont need any more than 20g - resolute, that 50g ur takin, definately too much. ur body just isnt goin to use that much. it cant.
yeah, I take issue with that one ;)

Nelson

1 hour Pre-Workout
eca (sometimes) + 1000mg VitC
Oatmeal, flax & 1 x 100% Optimum
28C/26P/20F/410Cals

Workout
5g Glutamine (until finished)

Post-Workout
1 MultiVit, 1000mg VitC
GlycoLoad, 1 x 100% Optimum, 1/2 x VP2, 5g Creatine, 5g Glutamine
54C/37P/2F/380Cals