2 weeks on keto... my results

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Just finished my 2nd week on the keto diet... been getting strong readings on the ketone-sticks...

Here are my results:

Weight lost so far = 2lbs
Inches off waist = half an inch or so...
Inches off chest = not even that ^^

So I am wondering if anyone can advise me why the such crap results?
I'm gona stick to the diet another week or 2, throw in 30mins cardio on all my non-lifting days (low intensity - about 120bpm on a bike)... see if that makes a diff.... maybe cut out foods sooner before bed...

My first week on the diet i lost like 6lbs or so and that first inch off my stomach, but after the first carb up last week it all came back even tho I've been in ketosis the last few days... I aint sure

My lifts are being mildly affected - I've lost that "bang" or explosiveness in certain lifts... so I dont know how some guys get so much stronger on keto while losing weight?

I'll throw in the cardio etc and play with the meals a bit and give it another week or two, if not... I'll stop the diet and I'll just throw the carbs back in and eat 'normally' but in smaller / healthier portions, no carbs late at night.... and HIIT cardio on my non lifting days I am thinking...

Unless someone has any suggestions as to why this is going so badly for me or anything else I could try - let me know.

In the past before I started lifting I always had good weight loss results with just eating normally in smaller portions and doing lots of cardio... HIIT for example... but I never did it properly and did lost muscle mass with it... so if I do go back to that I'll have to do it differently this time around

Let me know if you got any suggestions as to why the keto isnt going as planned...

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This isn't good to hear. I was going to start CKD tomorrow; on TKD currently.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
This isn't good to hear. I was going to start CKD tomorrow; on TKD currently.

haha dont worry! it's probably just me! a lot of other guys i talk to say its fkn awesome and get awesome results

Tho... I have not been doing cardio... and I think my meals may have been a tad larger than I need... so for every extra bit of protein I ate I had to equal out the fat to get that 70/30 fat:protein ratio in terms of cals... and for that extra gram of fat i get 9cals.. so the fat comes fast i guess...

im gona weigh my meals out... I figured ~30g protein and ~30g fat every 2-3hours is fine... whereas my meals are larger and I sometimes get double that

I'll throw in some low intensity cardio this week... I lift 3x a week so I'll do that for 30mins on the remaining 4days for 30mins @ ~120bpm and see what difference it makes

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Post up exactly what you have been eating for your meals. If you are eating too many cals then the weightloss will be minimal. Here is what you have to remember, and it's been beaten to death i think. First week = 5-6 pounds lost. Mostly water weight from depleting glycogen. Glycogen holds I think 4 parts water. As glycogen goes, so does 4 times that amount in water. No biggie. So what happens when you carb up on saturday? You store glycogen plus 4 times that amount in water=a few pounds weight gain. You aren't gaining that much fat if you only add 5 pounds on refeed day. What I think is the important number is your fasting weight on the morning of your refeed. Log that weight, so the morning after your refeed, you know how much weight you added. It it is more than 5 pounds or so, then maybe too much on refeed day. Your goal of 1-2 pounds weight loss should be measured and calculated from your fasting weight on the morening of refeed. If you carb up on saturday, then your "target weight" is first thing sat morning after you piss and don't drink anything. Your 1-2lb fat loss goal is from that number. Don't worry about the couple extra pounds from carbing up, it's mainly water, not fat if you keep it under control. So if you just carb up sat, weigh yourself upon waking and pissing on sunday. Your goal is to keep that under 5 pounds of gain IMO. So by tuesday or so, you should be back to your sat AM weight. If not, then you have to adjust some cals or remove more carbs if you are getting too many. Your net fat loss should be calculated from your weight the morning of carb day. Don't sweat the few pounds added from carbing up. It's trial and error to firgure out how your body responds best to carbing up. And doing it for 2 weeks and 1 carb up is definitely not long enough to figure out that maybe CKD isn't for you. Even though you are eliminating carbs and keeping the 70/30 fat/protein ratio, you MUST keep it within your calorie requirements as well. It is still cals in vs cals out. once you get the hang of it, you might be able to bump it about 200 cals/day and keep making progress. keep trying. People give up too easy sometimes and don't look at the whole picture.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Post up exactly what you have been eating for your meals. If you are eating too many cals then the weightloss will be minimal. Here is what you have to remember, and it's been beaten to death i think. First week = 5-6 pounds lost. Mostly water weight from depleting glycogen. Glycogen holds I think 4 parts water. As glycogen goes, so does 4 times that amount in water. No biggie. So what happens when you carb up on saturday? You store glycogen plus 4 times that amount in water=a few pounds weight gain. You aren't gaining that much fat if you only add 5 pounds on refeed day. What I think is the important number is your fasting weight on the morning of your refeed. Log that weight, so the morning after your refeed, you know how much weight you added. It it is more than 5 pounds or so, then maybe too much on refeed day. Your goal of 1-2 pounds weight loss should be measured and calculated from your fasting weight on the morening of refeed. If you carb up on saturday, then your "target weight" is first thing sat morning after you piss and don't drink anything. Your 1-2lb fat loss goal is from that number. Don't worry about the couple extra pounds from carbing up, it's mainly water, not fat if you keep it under control. So if you just carb up sat, weigh yourself upon waking and pissing on sunday. Your goal is to keep that under 5 pounds of gain IMO. So by tuesday or so, you should be back to your sat AM weight. If not, then you have to adjust some cals or remove more carbs if you are getting too many. Your net fat loss should be calculated from your weight the morning of carb day. Don't sweat the few pounds added from carbing up. It's trial and error to firgure out how your body responds best to carbing up. And doing it for 2 weeks and 1 carb up is definitely not long enough to figure out that maybe CKD isn't for you. Even though you are eliminating carbs and keeping the 70/30 fat/protein ratio, you MUST keep it within your calorie requirements as well. It is still cals in vs cals out. once you get the hang of it, you might be able to bump it about 200 cals/day and keep making progress. keep trying. People give up too easy sometimes and don't look at the whole picture.
Yea before I just ate meal portion sizes that just looked good - now I'm measuring each meal. so no more than 150g of meat = 30g protein... add the fat to that... where as doing the same with 250g of protein plus adding fat = many more cals

I've thrown in 40mins low intensity cycling right when i wake up fasted (except 1 busy day - at night) to try speed thigns along

reason im whinging so early on is because that water weight just came back and didnt go away again even before my 2nd carb up... ie 6 days thru carb depletion on week 2... lots of people get huge results first fortnight or so and mine was crap all...

weight on the bathroom scale aside... even half an inch off my stomach would have been good... thats what im going by each saturday morning - the wast line not my weight

another thing ive noticed last night... I took about 250g / 8.75oz roughly of chicken out of the fridge... ie raw... had been sitting on a plate over night so water drained as much as u could....

after i threw it on the grill... i weighed it again just out of curiosity (never tried it).. i know a lot of crap drips off but it surprised me to find that the new piece weighed 180g / 6.3oz... thats a fair amount of water/fat to drip off on the grill % wise compared to the original piece...

I'll try it again next time - but instead of taking out "150g of chicken raw" from the fridge... if i get the same results... I guess ill have to eat "150g of chicken AFTER its been grilled" (ie ~250g to start off with) coz esentially thats what im putting in my mouth... and thats the quantity id be using to measure my pro/fat/carbs/cals

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You should cook your food then weigh it as you prepare your meal. I cook 3 or more pounds of meat at a time and keep in the fridge. I cut off what I need for my required portions, not just eat a chicken breast. So I usually have half pieces in my bowl all the time.

The cardio will help. You can also do some high intensity stuff on sunday to get back to keto faster. Depending on what your workout plan is, the typical CKD or Ultimate Diet workout has full body workout on sunday to help burn through those carbs faster and get into keto faster. It's not a big deal. I still think you should go with 1lb of weight loss a week as a guide as well because you could be holding a bunch of water in the midsection and it can fluctuate enough to give you fits. Just stick with it. Hit it hard this week and maybe adjust your carb intake saturday as well. Evaluate what you ate last week and see if you can improve on that any this time.

If you can hammer your workouts really hard at the beginning of the week and deplete the carbs faster, you will see some better results.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
So I am wondering if anyone can advise me why the such crap results?
You may have done your refeed too soon. Some folk go the first 2 weeks before doing the refeed.

scott2hott99

Awards
You may have done your refeed too soon. Some folk go the first 2 weeks before doing the refeed.
I have also heard this, but i didnt do the two week refeed and i still lost quite a bit of weight (compared the baseline from week 1 friday to week 2 friday) so idk

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Definitely 2 weeks before your first refeed one week is not long enough to switch over from a carb burning metabolism to one utilizing fats as fuel. Also how long did your carb up last? if you are like me you cannot do a 48 hour carb up and have good results.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
my carb up days take 24hours... well.. all of saturday

i was in strong ketosis by the end of my first week... took me about 3 days to get into it

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You should keep in mind if you are using Ketostiks, that you don't want it to be dark purple all the time. You can still be in ketosis with trace showing on sticks if you are properly hydrated. Usually the darkest purple means you are not hydrated enough which greatly increases the concentration of ketones. If you drink enough water, your body will stay flushed and lower the concentration of the ketones in urine. Don't put too much into the ketosticks, even if they don't show but trace. If you piss all the time because of the amount of water you drink, it might not show up at all, which is better than dark purple all the time.

Just food for thought.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
You should keep in mind if you are using Ketostiks, that you don't want it to be dark purple all the time. You can still be in ketosis with trace showing on sticks if you are properly hydrated. Usually the darkest purple means you are not hydrated enough which greatly increases the concentration of ketones. If you drink enough water, your body will stay flushed and lower the concentration of the ketones in urine. Don't put too much into the ketosticks, even if they don't show but trace. If you piss all the time because of the amount of water you drink, it might not show up at all, which is better than dark purple all the time.

Just food for thought.
Yeah I know, I get strong keto readings in the morning when im dehydrated and usually I get low-mid readings... depends. I do drink a lot of water tho.

I am starting to think that during a period after taking a multi-vitamin tablet it alters the keto results on the stick... I got a mate whose doing the diet who thinks the same thing

Anyway... Serious Question...

this is gona sound weird but seriously...

I have occasionally noticed that when I go toilet to take a poop that my... um... brown logs are coated in what looks like fat... like someone took them and put a layer of butter around them...

now I just got back from the dunny and I had pieces of yellow stuff floating around in the water which to me looks like possibly fat? I have no clue...

Is that possible to poo out fat? Or would it be something else? Anyone here who knows anything on this matter enlighten me, coz if I am poo'ing out fat... then awesome, even tho I'm sure if i weighed it... it wouldnt be a lot... (so hopefully the rest gets pissed out/sweated out/used somehow?)... no clue to be honest how your body actually RIDS itself of fat..

someone explain!

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
good to see someone has replied! cmon!! its a serious question
but im starting to think maybe its just the cheese im eating... after days of lots of cheese.. who knows

people say keto gives u bad breath... ive got that... kinda... but not trying to be funny again but honest to god my breath smells like *****... and my mouth aint gone there anytime recently... either that, or ive forgotten the smell and im getting confused... but i swear on my life it smells like it... haha

tiffyisspiffy

Awards
you went back to eating carbs way too soon. do the strict keto for 4-6 weeks before you do a carb up. really let your body adapt to using fat.

also, not sure what you're actually eating, but it sounds like you're eating too much protein and not enough fat. it's not a low carb, high protein, high fat diet.. it's a low carb, moderate protein, and high fat diet. I'm a 152lb (at 5ft 5 in) girl (with abs) and I consume anywhere from 200-250g of fat a day (depending on my hunger levels) 120-130g of protein a day and 50g or less of carbs a day (most of that is fiber, my net carbs are like 20-30). it's scary at first because you think it's not enough protein (I used to eat a 200-240g a day protein, but I'm glad I decided to experiment with this way of eating. I look better, I feel better, and my joints don't ache anymore!!)

the whole point of keto is your body is using fat as fuel, so you need to give it that. the water/weight drops fast!

JLW99

Awards
good to see someone has replied! cmon!! its a serious question
but im starting to think maybe its just the cheese im eating... after days of lots of cheese.. who knows
High fat diet such as keto can definitely increase the fat content of your feces. It's likely softer and has more of a floating tendency? 10-14% fat content by dry weight would not be unexpected with this type of diet.