How much fat is too much to eat with carbs and vice versa?

Rock Lee

Awards
I'm adjusting my cutting ratios from 55/35/10 to 40/30/30 and read that one should not combine carbs with fat. I'm a little confused though, how much is too much? I was eating this high-protein total cereal that has something like 26/22/7 (P/C/F), is that too much fat to be combined with those carbs?

Also is there any time window that one should stay within? I mean if I had a protein/carb meal, how long should I wait until I have a protein/fat meal?

Edit: Bah; I was going to make another thread but I'll just ask here: How long do you keep eating high-GI carbs after a workout? Is your first PWO shake the only time you should have high-GI carbs? Should you have that, then a medium GI, then go back to low, like a tapering thing? Sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and didn't come up with anything related to PWO windows or the like.

Last edited:
Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established
According to the inventor of the South Beach Diet, good fats should be included pretty much w/ any meal containing carbs. Supposedly slows down digestion, thus minimizing the insulin spike from carbs.
The exception for bodybuilders would be the post workout shake/meal where you would want the carbs quick.
I would try to limit high GI carbs to your post workout shake/meal.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
The reason people say you want one or the other (carbs or fat) is b/c your body is only going to use one of them for the primary source of energy....

If you are on a low carb diet, then obviously you would want more fat, b/c that is the whole point of doing low carb so your body uses fat instead of carbs for its fuel.

Personally I think it is better to look at WHAT you are eating, and not necessarily the numbers (%) associated with it, but thast my opinion and what works for me..

I mean if I eat a chicken breast and some broccoli and some flax...i don't know the ratio, but i know it works..I think that these diets such as south beach etc make people focus on the numbers too much and it gets pretty frustrating...just going back to basics and knowing what your eating works..

I think to myself..ok i just worked out..let me get protein shake and a bit of carbs..i don't take much carbs with my protein....but then if I were to say first let me write down the ratio and figure out all this crap..then I will know that it works out on paper..but thats about it..on paper..does it mean its good for YOU?..not necessarily..

ok now enough with the scientific talk..lol. Do trial and error..its the only way your going to know what works for you, whether your dealing with food, supps, sleep..anything...predetermined numbers only go so far

adjust it for a week..see how you feel, how you look, get an assessment of your overall well being..if you like..then stick to it..if not...tweak it a bit..

so back to what you asked...overall low GI carbs should be your primary source throughout the day..this will avoid a lot of guess work...if you want to use a HI GI carb use it post workout.

personally I think you should have a shake post workout then eat real food about an hour later..

ok now that I forgot what the topic was I will stop talking..its time to leave work anyway..later

h19

lionel

Awards
Following up on rocklee's initial post, is consuming efa's(flax, fish oils etc) with your carb/pro meal the same as consuming sat/trans fat? Will there still be the storage of fat from the insulin spike regardless of the type of fat?

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
"good fats" will actually help sugar and insulin metabolism

and depending on the type of carbs your eating would answer your question better

Basically, to answer your question I don't think "good fats" can ever be compared to Saturated and even worse, trans fat.

Common sense has to come in here as well, if you are consuming 50 grams of carbs at one sitting, even if your fat is from "good fats" you would probably not want to have 50 grams of flax in there also.

no more then about 10% of your diet should be saturated fat, and the word trans fat should not even be in your diet.....

h19

SwoleCat

Awards
Right, if you create an insulin spike in the presence of fats no matter what the kind, the fat can/will be stored.

~SC~

lionel

Awards
Right, if you create an insulin spike in the presence of fats no matter what the kind, the fat can/will be stored.

~SC~
Hey swole, good to see you back. So how would one on a bulking diet concuming several pro/carb meals include efa's into the diet?

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
take it with the least carb meal....take it before bed with only protien shake...

take it by itself during the day?..

SwoleCat

Awards
I'd utilize healthy EFA's in between carb/protein meals (if that is your choice of meals while bulking, for some like me it's not) with a great protein powder. Can also be used at night w/a shake to help slow digestion over the course of the night.

~SC~

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I'd utilize healthy EFA's in between carb/protein meals (if that is your choice of meals while bulking, for some like me it's not) with a great protein powder. Can also be used at night w/a shake to help slow digestion over the course of the night.

~SC~
what is your diet like when bulking..not to hijack the thread, but pretty sure others would like to know also..

h19

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you have to combine carbs w/ fats, use MCT's. They react more like carbs and are easily oxidized to where most other types of fast can circulate for up to 9 hours. But in most cases it should be avoided just because the increased chance oif adipose storage. Plus is raises LPL levels which is counterproductive to the release of FFA's form adipose tissue.