Red Meat best kind?

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Alright after about nine years of not eating red meat I'm thinking about going back to it. My wife just got laid off of work and red meat is usually cheaper than chicken and fish.
My question: does anyone know of what the best and economical cuts are, should I just go with ground chuck or get the cube cuts?

any response is appreciated

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
just go to the store and look at it, if it has alot of fat dont get it. and if it is too expensive dont buy it.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Sirloin and as lean of ground beef as you can get. I've never understood why people spend the money on ground turkey when you can get 96% lean ground beef cheaper than 85% lean ground turkey unless of course you're watching your colon.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
round and loin cuts. (i.e. eye of round, top round, bottom round, sirloin, tip)
Sage

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
Sage is correct. Keep on the lookout for the following lean cuts of beef (on sale or whatever): eye round, top round, round tip, top sirloin, bottom round, top loin, tenderloin, and flank steak.

http://www.sccattle.org/7_cuts.pdf

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
eye of round is especially cost effective.

westniles

Awards
Just bought some eye of round, it is thin, but it is great to just cut up in to strips and give it a little stir fry action. Cheap as hell also.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I bought 95% lean ground beef, on sale, for 1.89 per pound. I got some sirloin too real cheap atleast cheaper than chicken. My wife and I went to McD's just to make sure we could eat the stuff again before I bought it and damn it was some good stuff. Cheap as hell too. I bought some turkey and chicken too just not nearly as much as usual. Time to get the Sunday paper and cut some coupons.

Thanks for all the tips, very much appreciated.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Get Buffalo. Lean and 25% more creatine per pound.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I never saw it in the store until I moved out west.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Its out here in CO just way expensive.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Buffalo is great, very lean & I like the taste better than beef. Hard to find it in the midwest though. Venison is another good choice, that's easier to get out here.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
The only problem with venison is the chronic wasting disease running rampant thru the herds in many states. They don't test them so I wouldn't want to take the chance.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Yes. They had a sale on bison our local grocery store. It was about twice the price of beef.
I'm in CO too and just came from the store. Buffalo was almost $5/lb. F that. I'll check the price on base, but I don't remember ever seeing it there.

sepheus61

Awards
become a hunter....

get yourself a gun and go shoot some deer....in NY it is 30 bucks for a in-state licence and you get 4 tags...a buck and 2 doe plus a bear...3 deer go quite a ways...don't know about a bear i have never shot one...and if you can find it i recomend you buy your meat in bulk...my family buys a half a cow every year...cut and wrapped it is signifigantly cheaper than getting it in the grocery store...you just need the freezer space...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ditto become a hunter or buy a crappy car and drive way too fast on the backroads of AZ. Sooner or later you'll cream an elk and in this state you get to keep it.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
Ditto become a hunter or buy a crappy car and drive way too fast on the backroads of AZ. Sooner or later you'll cream an elk and in this state you get to keep it.
LOL. I guy I know who has never shot a deer when hunting, but was falling asleep at the wheel late one night when a deer jumped out in front of his Cadillac. Both were "totaled." It has been a few years and it is still the only deer he has ever gotten.