Is there a maximum amount of protein the body can absorb at each sitting? - AnabolicMinds.com

Is there a maximum amount of protein the body can absorb at each sitting?

1. New Member

Is there a maximum amount of protein the body can absorb at each sitting?

I'm wondering what number (grams) I should keep my protein under at each meal so as not to waste food/calories.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

The rule of thumb I've always heard was 40-50, but I've also heard of people taking as high as 60-70.
  3. Senior Member

It depends on your amount of lean mass. Sure, the 300+ lb pros eat 70 grams in a sitting & can absorb much of that. But a 200 lb recreational bodybuilder probably cant absorb much more than 40-50g of protein at a time.
    •   

4. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    It depends on your amount of lean mass. Sure, the 300+ lb pros eat 70 grams in a sitting & can absorb much of that. But a 200 lb recreational bodybuilder probably cant absorb much more than 40-50g of protein at a time.
    This 70+ grams of protein in a sitting has more to do with their AAS usage than it does their size attributing to protein assimilation.

A
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Also factors such as absorption rate can come into play. Adding fiber or milk to say 50-60 grams of protein may make it more likely to be absorbed more thoroghly over time rather than all at once.

It's generally agreed that the max is around 40 grams per sitting.

IMO, one can slowly increase the amount of protein per serving over a long time and have the body adapt to it, ie produce more proteases. Studies on omnivorous animals have shown that if the animal's dietary comp is slowly shifted towards a higher percentage of protien that they will produce more proteases in response. This of course is based on animals, not people and only addresses a normal maintenance diet not a mega-calorie high protein body building diet, but I do think it at least applies to getting yourself acclimated to higher levels of protein when your just starting to supplement.

The reason I say this is becaue I think we all remember our first experiences with the protein powder power flush..ie attempting to drink too much at once.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 05:11 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 01:22 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 11:57 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:54 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 12:19 AM