Ultimate Diet 2.0 Discussion

AlmostRipped

Awards
Ultimate Diet 2.0 Discussion Forum

First thing is first, I am just a shmoe starting UD2, all I know of this diet, and this lifestyle is what I have read, and what I will follow within the guidelines of this book, and other things I have learned that can play into the main goal of UD2 (the way I am doing it to get cut)....

This forum,because I did a search and could not find one, is for the people who really do know about UD2 and anyone who is going to do the diet to ask questions and learn more about how this diet works.

After reviewing enough mainstream diets to see that they are all pretty much the same I have to thank Just Reading for suggesting UD2, I don't know how many more years it would have taken me to find this if I did not join this site and have the input I have already received.

The Ultimate Diet 2.0 (IMHO) takes everything a 60-90 day diet would aim for (and compresses it intelligently, and backed by science into an 8 week cycle that takes into account the way our body partitions calories to either be stored as fat or burned as energy. In turn helping to turn the body into a calorie maximizing, muscle building, machine. My body for the next 8 weeks has one purpose, to get into the best shape it has ever been in. This diet (for the beginner who has not been enlightened by all of the different pockets of excercise science) is nothing short of amazing.

So I am going to start the forum off being a little selfish, talking about what my diet looks like, and asking for recommendations/critique before I get too deep into this thing to make changes, thanks for letting me do this, and any input that you have!!! This forum is yours though, thanks for reading/responding!

I am doing a 8 day cycles (over the course of 8 weeks or until I am happy with my six pack definition whichever comes first) the diet is laid out as a 7 day diet, but the author lays out an 8 day plan as follows:

Day 1/2 low carb/low calorie(half of maintenance) full body depletion workout
Day 3/4 low carb/low cal cardio
Day 5 Begin Carb Load high intensity full body workout
Day 6 Carb Load off
Day 7 85% of maint cals power workout
Day 8 85% off

The weight I used to calculate my calories is not my current weight, it is what I think my weight should be for me to get a six pack....my current weight is 204, target is 185 and this is what I used for my caloric calculations:: This could be a really big mistake right off, let me know if I should change that.

Supplements:
Daily: Fish Oil 6*1, Multivitamin: Mega Men Sport

days 1-2 Depletion workout (both days) full body workout 4-6 sets each body part, 12-15 reps.

53/27/20 pro/f/c %

(E)25mg(C)200mgx3 once before my workout, 1 time after right before I eat my first meal, 1 before my second meal.
600mg calcium in am empty stomach 1200mg before bed
2mg glutamine before bed
Casein protein only on these days (Lyle Explains it is less catabolic)

days 3-4 Cardio Lyle Suggests 45-60 minutes mild cardio, I will be doing 20-45 minutes intense cardio--I love spin class!

53/27/20 pro/f/c %

yohimbe 9mg+200mg caffeine empty stomach before cardio
600mg calcium am 1200mg pm
2 mg glutamine before bed
E+C 2 more times throughout the day (not with the YC in the morning--if that is ok let me know, made me throw up the other day, but I also took ALCAR 500mg+ALA200mg with E+C+Y 25/200/9 dont know what made me puke)

Day 5--Start Carb Load High intensity workout 6-12 reps each bodypart 70-85% of max, stop 1 short of failure to conserve energy for power workout.

65/19/16 c/p/f--> Total calories for today and tomorrow=7,290=648c/day

E+C pre workout (only taking that once this day)
Switch to Whey Protein
20mg creatine today 5 post workout (15 spread througout day)
ALCAR 500mg/200mg ALA with every meal

Day 6--Continue Carb load no workout.
Switch to Whey Protein
20mg creatine today 5 post workout (15 spread througout day)
ALCAR 500mg/200mg ALA with every meal

65/19/16 c/p/f-->Second day of carb load

Day 7--POWER WORKOUT! 1-3sets depending on body part, 3-6 reps 2 minute rest using alternate supersetting

Before AM workout 30g carbs 15g whey 5 g creatine 2-3 hours pre.
E=C 1 hour pre
Gatorade during workout

Post Workout same combo as pre workout 30g/15g/5g c/pro/creatine
2 more doses E+C
1200mg calcium PM
2mg glutamine PM

85% of maintenance cals today 40/25/15=c/p/f

Day 8--Off Training
85% maintenance 40/25/15
back to day 1-2 sups
E+C
2g glutamine
600/1200 calcium

Can I use 185 as the basis for calculating my cals each day even though I am 205? Or is this a bad idea...why..?

Ding Ding...round one....

It is my second day, last week I dropped my calories down to a 40/40/30 c/p/f to get ready for this week. Yesterdays workout was helatious moving into my second day of low carb/ low cal is painful, and I am dreading the gym, I know this is going to be worth it, I have great faith in this diet, and what it can do, and I am really looking forward to experiencing even the lowest lows, seeing how my body and mind reacts!

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am a BIG fan of it...

Lyle kind of suggests supps jokingly though if you catch his tone esp on the glutamine...

Besides that it is an amazing diet because it keeps you focused and motivated because it simply works

AlmostRipped

Awards
Anyone have a better idea of something that I could replace the glutamine with at night before bed to increase GH while not keeping me awake (that is reasonably priced)?

It seemed like he was being sarcastic about glutamine increasing GH before a workout, but serious about the 2g before bed, as he includes that in days 1-3 of the sample....he suggests that it will increase growth hormone output during sleep, but that it won't make a difference if you take it before a workout....

Do you think its a negligible difference altogether to be taking the glutamine?

Logo

Awards
I've been taking the glutamine before bed and it hasn't affected sleep thus far. However, I'm also taking ZMA and ketotifen (known for causing mild drowsiness) at the same time.

ExciteBK

Awards
UD 2.0 works great. My only beef with it is that I recomped too well. I wanted to maintain my muscle and lose the fat. I ended up recomping, which is fine for physique but I was trying to lighten my load to ease my joints when I run.

Next time I'll have to adjust the macros on the carbup and maintenance days.

AlmostRipped

Awards
Updates

I cannot wait to post my pictures, its gonna be crazy, this diet is killer, I didn't know if it was going to work for me, because regular diets DO work for me, but I figured this would be faster and more efficient to help me both lose weight and maintain muscle fast.

Last week was my second week comleted, I hit my targets almost everyday, but the friggin depletion training is hell, takes me 2 hours for each workout, and I am working all the same muscles BORING BORING BORING!!! I have been doing the workouts exactly as he suggests.. full body 2 cycles involving the same muscles of major muscle groups being worked 2-3X12-15. This is two days in a row. The first week I lost .5 pounds, I think I had too much sugar and fat one of my carb days, last week I lost 3 pounds, and I only did 3 total cycles of full body work, 1 on day 1 2 on day 2....hope that makes sense....

Couple questions ^^ feel free to critique as well

Ab work that fits into this diet anyone??

I will be taking my 2 week pictures tonight, at the end of this thing I hope to have a pretty cool transformation in my photos...this has inspired me to start helping others, knowing what I know just from what I have read and doing this diet for myself puts me ahead of probably 75% of the "trainers" in this country...

AlmostRipped

Awards
OMG...WHAT THE HELL UPDATE.....It takes humility for me to admit this, but I have to, I need some heavy rep power for this LOL...you will see...

So I got to work a little bit early today, and I just did not feel like going to my desk, so I was planning my carb load for Saturday in my car, as I looked back over my calculations....

heh...I weigh 199 at this point, this will be my fourth carb load, here is the key to remember during this post, the first three weeks I lost weight (weighing myself on the same day of the cycle each time)....This is probably because I set my calories up for both depletion (and I thought my carb load) for a 185 pound person....

First three week carb loads= 648C!!/215p/50f
The second week and last week I went way over on my fat (1 out of 2 carb load days both weeks) AND STILL LOST WEIGHT!!!

What's my point^^^^ that is not supposed to be my carb load...that 648 is supposed to be split between day 5 AND 6....I was eating 648c BOTH DAYS!!!

This is maintenance calories for a 365 pound beast, and I still lost weight...I am pretty impressed with myself, yet at the same time stupified that I could screw my math up like that!!! And not pay better attention when I was feeling like absolute ****, thought my insulin resistance is just low!

Anything that may be outside of my awareness that I should learn from this, other than the obvious? (pay closer attention to my math before I get fat!!)?

Wait I have one pg.63 UD2:::
Notes on carbloading: I believe I have proven this...

Willybeme

Awards
The carb load is an extremely individual thing, im almost 40lbs lighter than you and sometimes i need 5-6k calories worth of carbs during my load.

AlmostRipped

Awards
The carb load is an extremely individual thing, im almost 40lbs lighter than you and sometimes i need 5-6k calories worth of carbs during my load.

That is incredible! I think it is amazing that with the right diet and excercise routine it is possible to eat like that and still lose bf! Lyle talks about the metabolic trick, and people doing bodyopus that ate 7k-10k the first day and still lost weight!
It's just really incredible to witness it happen to me though. I know we are not all as special as we think we are, its all science, it's still a beautiful thing to me.

Let's see how things work out this week, I am a couple points outside of the bf% I should be at doing UD2 anyway, hopefully I will lose a couple extra pounds this week if its part of my bodys plan!

sonicwaste

Awards
your original math was correct my friend.

The diet suggest 7-8g carbs per pund of LBM... You are 199lbs... probably 180lbs LBM X 8 = 1448g carbs split between your night before carb up and carb up.

AlmostRipped

Awards
UD 2.0 works great. My only beef with it is that I recomped too well. I wanted to maintain my muscle and lose the fat. I ended up recomping, which is fine for physique but I was trying to lighten my load to ease my joints when I run.

your original math was correct my friend.

The diet suggest 7-8g carbs per pund of LBM... You are 199lbs... probably 180lbs LBM X 8 = 1448g carbs split between your night before carb up and carb up.

Next time I'll have to adjust the macros on the carbup and maintenance days.
OK...you are right....oh boy do I feel dumb....I messed up my calories because I thought they were messed up, meanwhile they were right.....In comes my hypothesis...because no one likes to be wrong =)....

Last week I lost 4 pounds....Lyle states that at the perscribed 12-15% body fat 1.5-2lbs (for men) is acceptable weight loss without seeing muscle loss.....

My PF% when starting was 19....it is now 16.6....last week after I re-adjusted this because I thought it was wrong, only using half the perscribed carb load....

Here is the fun part....Last week my weight or reps went up on EVERYTHING from bench to my 1100 pound leg press up from 1000 last week....

I had to re-read UD2 chapters over and over again to make sure Sonic was right, indeed he was.....So here is what else I found out from my review....

PG 51. "....the 2-3 days of higher calorie overfeeding will help to reverse many (if not all) of the metabolic adaptations which took place during the lower calorie phase"

"....Anyhow, by depleting muscle gycogen during the low-carbohydrate phase of the diet with training and carbohydrate restriction, we set ourselves up for gycogen supercompensation which is an anabolic driver in its own right.."

<---Hypothesis.....--->

Like BK I am looking for fat loss, it appears the stupid adjustment that I made last week enabled me, at my size with my build and high BF% to accelerate fat loss without any visable, or observed (through training) muscle loss, while at the same time losing a higher amount of fat.....

As Lyle mentions constantly...it depends....how much does it depend, maybe my genes are better than I thought...

I am going to stick with this plan, I will probably up my carb intake 75-150 more grams total for my (48) hour carb load....perhaps this plays a part in my last weeks successes as well, as I am doing an 8 day cycle days 7 and 8 are pretty normal eating....

INPUT PLEASE!!!! +'s and -'s to continuing my 1/2 carb load...THANK YOU SONIC!!!

capps

Awards
I am a huge fan of this diet. I'm currently on my third week of it, and I have done it in the past for 6 weeks seeing incredible results. In the book Lyle mentions that the diet can be used for bulking. Have any of you guys tried the diet to bulk? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of trying it for a bulk after another 3 weeks of dieting with a one week break. I can't get enough of the Friday carb-loads.

sonicwaste

Awards
I am a huge fan of this diet. I'm currently on my third week of it, and I have done it in the past for 6 weeks seeing incredible results. In the book Lyle mentions that the diet can be used for bulking. Have any of you guys tried the diet to bulk? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of trying it for a bulk after another 3 weeks of dieting with a one week break. I can't get enough of the Friday carb-loads.
With the lean gains I've been getting from the rebound, I definitely am going to try the mass version probably next month, or as soon as I get down to 6-7% bf. Hope to be there by October 1 and then run 2 maintenance weeks... Then hit up UD 2 mass.

I don't think you are going to find a lot of people who have run the UD2 for mass. Just because it's still such a hard protocol to run and most people don't want that type of punishment when bulking.

capps

Awards
Well aside from the depletion workouts, I think if you used the diet for bulking and ate at around maintainance Monday-Thursday then the workouts and the overall diet shouldn't be too bad. I'm about on the same track with finishing cutting early October so I'll let you know how the diet works for me while bulking.