Damn, I think I cut too many cals last week and now strength is down...

Rock Lee

Awards
Okay I've never really watched/counted what I ate before, though I always made sure I had more protein than carbs and the only fat that was in my diet came in the form of dairy (but was usually pretty low). Last week though I started cutting and began with what I thought was my maintenance level of calories (body weight x .42 x 24 [hours in a day]), giving me a shade under 2100. So all last week I stayed between 2000-2100 with my macronutrient ratio looking like 55% protein, 35% carbs, and 10% fats. Then this week I weighed myself again and all that and the scale said I had lost 6 lbs and about 2% BF. I had mixed feelings about that...that seems to be too much weight to lose in a week, then today in the gym my fears came true, all my numbers were down. :( So my question is, what should I do now? Is there a better formula then (BW x .42 x 24) for maintenance calories, or is it all about trial and error? Does this mean my maintenance calories is actually much higher than I originally thought? What would you recommend I now raise my calories too and how much do you think I should decrease them each week? How many pounds/ how much BF% should I be aiming to lose each week? And lastly is that muscle that I lost pretty well gone for good, or can it be recovered somehow if I increase my calories?

Thanks. :eek:

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
If you Raise your Cals. now and Keep Lifting Hard then you might be able to "Remind" your Muscles Memory and the extra Cals. will help This Happen. Just dont Drastically Raise Them or you may Put On a Little Fat.

westniles

Awards
That formula seems to be off. There are many different and complex formulas, but just try BW * 10-12. More likely * 12 if you are active at all.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Okay I've never really watched/counted what I ate before,
Thats your first problem, but you probably know that now. :)

I always like the ratio of P/C/F's to be a 30/40/30 when bulking, and a 40/30/30 when cutting. Now, if my caloric intake profile is not supporting the amount of protein that I need per day, I'll usually take that amount off from my carbs, and add it in to my protein intake (I always have protein intake to at least 2grams/lb. of bodyweight). So, my next move would be to start out by counting ALL cals, then of course go from there. If still wanting to continuing cutting, post your weight/height/somatype, and maybe we can give you an idea on what caloric range to start back on.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also, don't know how many cals you were eating prior to your cutting stage, but you should NEVER drastically cut calories. This is the mistake most people make (myself included). When people are bulking and their stomach starts to look a little bigger than normal, they freak out and immediately cut out 1000s of calories. BIG MISTAKE. You should always gradually reduce the amount of calories. As you said, 6 pounds is way too much to lose in 1 week.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Also, don't know how many cals you were eating prior to your cutting stage, but you should NEVER drastically cut calories. This is the mistake most people make (myself included). When people are bulking and their stomach starts to look a little bigger than normal, they freak out and immediately cut out 1000s of calories. BIG MISTAKE. You should always gradually reduce the amount of calories. As you said, 6 pounds is way too much to lose in 1 week.
Big bump, the body doesn't like drastic sudden changes.

Rock Lee

Awards
Yeah, I know the body doesn't like drastic changes, I just kind of guestimated I was eating around maintenance because I haven't been gaining a lot of weight. Eating 2100-2000 was what I thought I had already been eating, just I had only then began to keep track of things...obviously I was wrong though. As soon as I saw how much strength had gone down I bumped up this weeks calories to 2200 (it's still the same week). Next week, depending on if I've gained/lost any weight I'll adjust my calories accordingly...something like +/- 100-200.

Right now I'm about 205 lbs (with about 18% BF [I'd like to get down to around 10], 5'10", and I'm somewhere between a meso and an endomorph.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I know the body doesn't like drastic changes, I just kind of guestimated I was eating around maintenance because I haven't been gaining a lot of weight. Eating 2100-2000 was what I thought I had already been eating, just I had only then began to keep track of things...obviously I was wrong though. As soon as I saw how much strength had gone down I bumped up this weeks calories to 2200 (it's still the same week). Next week, depending on if I've gained/lost any weight I'll adjust my calories accordingly...something like +/- 100-200.

Right now I'm about 205 lbs (with about 18% BF [I'd like to get down to around 10], 5'10", and I'm somewhere between a meso and an endomorph.
Yeah that seems about right. Maybe a little higher, but I would stick to your plan with adding in 1-200 cals if still not gaining.....good choice.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
Is there any merit to bumping calories up by 500 on workout days? I, too, am cutting and I'm starting to notice a slight loss of strength.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
As Jergo said, your ratios are bad. Change to a 40/40/20, 40/30/30, or CKD. Too much protein and not enough carbs or fat, body will start to use protein for fuel, gets very clunky and inefficient.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
just to add...it is safe to assume that you don't want to "naturally" lose more then say 2 lbs a week. I think if you lose more then 2 pounds a week, it is going to include muscle loss...

I'd reduce cals by like 500/day and listen to what everyone else has said..

h19

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Is there any merit to bumping calories up by 500 on workout days? I, too, am cutting and I'm starting to notice a slight loss of strength.
Whether I'm cutting, bulking, or maintaining, I have always cycled carbs on training days, by like 100 or so by means of my post-wo meal. And the same of course for rest days, I deduct 100 carbs. Thats just me though....

Old Guy

Old Guy

Awards
  • Established
just to add...it is safe to assume that you don't want to "naturally" lose more then say 2 lbs a week. I think if you lose more then 2 pounds a week, it is going to include muscle loss...

I'd reduce cals by like 500/day and listen to what everyone else has said..

h19
Agreed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin Training Forum 9
thebigt Supplements 30
Nutrition / Health 4
Supplements 10
mixedup Anabolics 4