Am I doing this keto diet corect?

ahsswimmaster

Awards
I'm currently at about 13% bf. I can see some ab definition so I cud possiblely be lower. Last week I began cutting carbs, and slightly increasing my fats, and about 150g of protein. I weigh 157 and I'm 5'9". So basicly for the past week I have been eating about 1200-1400 calories a day consisting of canned tuna/salmon with dark green vegitable and whey protein shakes. I read about keto dieting and as of today started a tuna and water diet. I'm eating about 100gs of tuna/salmon protein and also taking 30gs of fat from Cod Liver Oil so I'm totaling about 34g of healthy fat. I'm taking CLA, a multi-vitamin, RPN eviscerate and l-glutamine for my muscles. Should I take more/less fat to increase the keto process. I plan on doing this for 3 more days and then slowly add in good carbs from fiber and vegies. I believe my daily calorie need are around 2300 so I would plan eat about 1600-1800. Am I doing everything right? Or is there something I could do to maximise the effect?

ahsswimmaster

Awards
I had planned on starting circut training and do HIIT for cardio....after reading around I'm not sure what to do. My goal is to get around 6%-7%( I'm not expecting that to happen during this cutting phase). I don't want to get big but some size would be good, so I'll end up probably doing 1-2 bulking cycles. One more question...... Do some people react well to very low carb levels? After being on this for about a week I feel really good, a little weak but I know that is from the big calorie deficit. I have no cravings what so ever for any kind of bread, pasta, junk foods.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that would not be a ketogenic diet, even though it may be an effective diet.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Y isn't this a keto diet. I have 0 carbs and a much higher fat intake

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for a keto diet, fats need to be the primary calorie source. if you are eating 1200-1400 calories a day, and 34g are from fats thats around 310 calories, so 900-1100 cals are coming from "other" whether protein or carbs. If you are eating vegetables, you dont have 0 carbs. If you are using 99% of the whey protein drinks out there you aren't having 0 carbs. And that is ok for keto, you can go into keto with anything less than 50g of carbs or so a day. But right now it looks like you are taking in 250-300g of protein dietarily, so your body is seeing a surplus of protein and using gluconeogenesis to create glucose from the amino acids, so you aren't going to reach ketosis. You are closer to a PSMF - protein sparing modified fast

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Will I be able to continue what doing, with just a few extra calories, and have pretty effective fat loss? If not, how should I tweak it? So far it feels like it's been great

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it will work ok the way it is, just it isn't keto, and I dont think you can get down to that 5-6% range with it. maybe you can though, hard to say

to go into a full keto state you'd probably need to be at around 120g protein,150g fats.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Where can I get that much heathly fat? More fish oil? I'm going to Hawaii in 10 days, to be in shape and have visable 6 pack for this trip was what motivated me to start working out about year( I was around 30%bf mayb more). Anyway, if I were to start tomorrow and got up to 150g of fat would it work in time for Hawaii, or atleast get me relitively close?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno how much you have to loose, so its hard to say. I'd think i'd just stick with what you are doing for now.

you can get the healthy fats from olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil and any raw nuts. macadamias are a nice choice

ahsswimmaster

Awards
I'd say I need to loose 3-4 fat pounds of my stomach, that's the only place I really have a lot left.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Fat doesn't have to be your main calorie source to be a ketogenic diet. I am on a keto diet right now and I average 350-400g protein and 100-150g fat per day. Fat doesn't have to be "HIGH" as it is in the atkins and dan duchaine keto diet. It can be moderate fat and HIGH protein, like the Dave Palumbo keto diet.

BEAST

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can call it by whatever name you'd like, you aren't getting into a ketogenic state at that much protein with that little fat

ahsswimmaster

Awards
I think what is really working for me is the fact that Im eating very little carbs, I feel they made me bloat. Are there certain people that do much better with less carbs?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I think what is really working for me is the fact that Im eating very little carbs, I feel they made me bloat. Are there certain people that do much better with less carbs?
Low carbs always make me feel less bloated - especially less beer carbs. If its working for you then stick with it. I do something of the same thing only, like easy said, i usually do more fat less protein but IDK if I ever get into keto. I mean I don't test for keto with those test sticks or anythinng but i like what i see in the mirror so who cares?

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Yea the mirror has been really good for me lately. I guess I'll keep doing what i'm doing until I hit a wall. I think I'll aim for 65/30/5. P/F/c. Do u know where I canter the formula that tells you how much cals you need for daily maintinence?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my peaks during bulking nowadays are still under 250g/day of carbs and a normal non-cheat day is under 100g. its the way I eat now, I dont even think about it.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
I'm gonna stick to my carbs coming from fiber and dark green veggies. I deffinately think this is some thing I can do as a life style change rather than just a cut diet. My only challenge will be looking for creative ways to make my meals. I like the foods that don't require preperation to make

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Btw thx for all the help! I'm learning so much

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that is a good overall lifestyle plan, and getting majority of cals from protein is also good for that as well. keep in mind you need a certain level of saturated fats for normal hormone production, but other than that lowfat is overall easier to control cals on

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Ill keep taking Cod Liver Oil and add in a few macadamian nuts. I think my dedication will really start being tested when I'm in Hawaii because I'm not gonna have the same access to the foods. However it is my vacation so I'm not gonna be to anal. When i come i start college and I'm not gonna have as much time. Anyway I have made a ton of progress since the begining and that is the best motivation.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Maui. I plan on spending my entire 12 day trip on the beach. I have never been able to take my shirt of without being self-conscious. Now I have finally started to feel confident

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, I spent most of my life that way, not anymore though. Never been to maui, but I loved oahu, will probably move there in the next few years. I work from home with good income, so it doesn't matter where I'm physically located. And I really liked the leeward side of oahu.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Last time I went I was 12. I'm 19 now so I'm sure it will b awesome!!!
Quick question........ Because of the low carbs, should my cardio be HIIT or moderate intensity for longer periods?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really doesn't make a huge difference, whichever you prefer. dont be afraid to have 1 large carb meal a week too.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Yea I figured I'd have like some whole wheat pasta or something simialr. Thx again for all of your help. I hope I will be able to pass all of it along to someone else. I have 3 more questions and then I think I will fully prepared for the upcoming months.
1. Right now I'm taking Slim Xtreme and I really like. Great energy and makes keep a calorie deficit very easy. How long is it safe to cycle it and how long should I keep off of it before I start again?

2. Dom you have any recomendations for a good bulking sup that will give some size but not too much? My main goal is to stay lean.

3. Is 4 32oz bottles enough for daily water intake? I feel that when I take more I get to bloated.

Actaully I have 4 lol but this is for curiosity

4. Normally my "bowl movments" are irregular and don't come as often as I thought was necessary. As of a couple of days ago that has changed. I'm am have them consitantly at the same time everyday. So i'm wondering is this because my diet has become much healthier and simple even though I'm not take any fiber yet( will start in a few days)?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd probably go with a month on a month off on the slim xtreme to be safest.

for bulking, try without a supp first, just do it slowly. its much easier that way. Sometimes just a change in your workout routine can make it easy

Thats enough water but more is always better

Hard to say, sometimes changes to level of fat + vegetable intake will do that

demetre

Awards
something else to add fats but not carbs or protien............. heavy whipping cream!!!!!!!

i add 2tbs. to my protien shakes makes them taste great or you could add it to coffee instead of milk.

demetre

Awards
i have done the keto diet for a long time and have done it both ways. once higher protien and once higher fat. for me the higher fat works better. i am an absolute endomorph body type. if this helps anyone.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
About 2 months I started a 6 week cycle of Methyl 1-D, Methyl Masterdrol, and Foramadrol Extreme as the PCT which I'm just finishing up. It worked alright but cost a little more than I would have liked and I also had bad bad acne on my chest and face. It's finaly going away right now. I'll take your advice and try it sup free. I might do some creatine though....
The one thing I really like about the sups though is the motivation and agressiveness in the gym. I'm normally a very calm person so it was nice to have some competitive agression.

I will sometimes put milk in my protein shake, which tastes really good. I'll give whip cream a try. Probably less calories. Is it good to have a little sugar in your diet from like juice or a candy bar on the special occasion to keep blood sugar up?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
creatine is fine, you get that dietarily too - beef has around 2.5g creatine per pound, so adding more isn't bad. A preworkout product of one sort or another that has caffeine in it is handy for that aggression too

demetre

Awards
about the sugar absolutely none while on keto but once a week you have a refeed day to load on carbs and sugar but on this day it is very important to have very little fat.

ahsswimmaster

Awards
Alright, I'm not sure if I'm gonna do the keto diet. Gonna try the high protien, moderate fats(most from Cod Liver Oil), very low carbs. If this can get me a good cut and also works while bulking it'll make it very easy to stay with. I'll think about while on vacation.