carb and fat timing

insanity1

Awards
im currently cutting but have read a lot about how eating fats with higher carb meals can lead to more fat storage. how do you guys spread out your macro in your meals. Ive been doing my carbs in morning pre post and post post workout, and the other meals protein and fat combinations. I also plan to do this on my clean bulk jsut with higher amounts. Do you guys like the sound of this do any of you eat fats with higher carb meals? etc basically how do you set up your meals from a maco nutrient perspective

thanks

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im currently cutting but have read a lot about how eating fats with higher carb meals can lead to more fat storage.
basically broscience. If you have a meal that is 500 calories, and 50g of it is simple carbs, it doesn't matter whether the additional calories come from protein or fats in terms of what fat gets stored. Its about whether 500 calories at that time is more than your body happens to need. I think the reason this belief came about though is because with fats its VERY easy to underestimate quantity and thereby calories. a tablespoon difference in fats is ~150 calorie difference since there is no water in it. An average tablespoon difference in estimation of carbs or protein is more like 20 calories. So although you may be guessing its a 500 cal meal, if you are off on your fat measurement it could be more like a 600-700 cal meal and then be higher cals than you need and thereby excess stored as fat

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
interestinggg... yeah I was reading the scivation lean mass building Ebook and they talked about how you shouldnt combine fats and carbs because they are conflicting energy sources.. i didnt really buy it but im glad someone conformed.

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
if you're eating 6 meals, your first 3 meals should be high carb, high pro and your last 3 meals should be high fat, high pro.

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
"By combining macronutrients in this fashion, you avoid the worst possible dieting scenario: high levels of insulin and triglycerides with the blood simultaneously. Although insulin's primary function is to shuttle glucose into skeletal muscle, it also carries many other nutrients to their storage sites; this includes lipids (fat). Carbohydrate ingestion stimulates a large insulin secretion and fat ingestion raises blood lipid levels; therefore, the combination is a no-no. "

I have a problem with that. Fat slows down the abosbtion of carbs therefore they would help to inhibit a high insulin response. thoughts???

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, i mean its one thing to take 50g dextrose and 2 tbsp of butter at the same time, and quite another to have 1/2 cup quinoa or brown rice with 4 egg yolks. So although in theory what they say is true in some specific instances, if you look at both glycemic load and glycemic index, you generally don't get much insulin response in a mixed meal.

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
true to the posts above. I also read somewhere on AM that cinnamon, lemon, or fat will lower the GI of the carb intake/load. So it's good to drink some lemon water with the food you eat :)

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
"By combining macronutrients in this fashion, you avoid the worst possible dieting scenario: high levels of insulin and triglycerides with the blood simultaneously. Although insulin's primary function is to shuttle glucose into skeletal muscle, it also carries many other nutrients to their storage sites; this includes lipids (fat). Carbohydrate ingestion stimulates a large insulin secretion and fat ingestion raises blood lipid levels; therefore, the combination is a no-no. "

I have a problem with that. Fat slows down the abosbtion of carbs therefore they would help to inhibit a high insulin response. thoughts???
You should have a problem with it because it is bunk. Your question is a valid criticism but Easy's explanation is much more obvious. The body will convert excess energy to fat. If you eat 1000 cal of carbs, fat, or 50/50 carbs and fat and you only need 500 for maintenance then you are going to store about 500 calories. It is wishful thinking that if you micromanage macronutients that you can avoid this.