does coconut oil make you reach ketosis faster?

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

does coconut oil make you reach ketosis faster?

ive seen it many places, but i don't understand the logic. people say that it raises your metabolism so you get rid of glycogen faster. however,since it is a MCT, and is burned quickly for energy( like carbs supposedly), wouldn't your body burn the MCT, instead of glycogen, therefore stalling ketosis?

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

MCT's when used correctly would burn first prefferentially, I'll look for the link but I think MCT's are ketogenic because the breakdown of the fat would result in the formation of ketones.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%

but ketones are used for your brain as glucose. so while MCTs do make glucose for your brain, how does that make your body shift to only using ketones and FFAs long after the MCTs have been metabolized?
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Ketones are used in the brain in place of glucose, not as glucose. MCTs make ketones for the brain to use. The raising of blood ketone levels and ffas are signals for the body to go into ketosis.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%

but your body won't go into ketosis even with the presence of ketones, if your body isn't depleted of glycogen,right
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

I thought MCTs interfere with ketosis? The body burns them differently than typical fats and it inhibits the metabolic switch. I wish I remember where I read that but I am pretty sure I seen it somewhere.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.65%

i would love a definite answer on this. i'm taking coconut oil as well.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.11%

Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    but your body won't go into ketosis even with the presence of ketones, if your body isn't depleted of glycogen,right
    I believe that the trigger is the brain being low on glucose. I know there are MCT style keto diets. I haven't found any of my old links, when I do i'll get some actual references.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%

may as well take a couple tblspoons a day. i read on a few different lowcarb diet forums where people are taking it ALOT.

also, in case anyone didn't know, chromium POLYnicotinate helps you get to keto faster.

i say poly because it is alot more bioavailable than picolinate
  10. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I posted the quote somewhere, but MCTs aren't the best choice on a keto diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mauro DiPasquale
    It’s also important to note that Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s) get a big thumbs down for use in the Anabolic Diet. Very few foods actually contain MCT’s, but you’ll find many people are very big on MCT supplements, most of which are derived from coconut oil. They’ll say,
    “It’s fat, why can’t we use it?” but it basically bypasses the whole energy pathway we’re trying to establish with the Anabolic Diet and can be very counterproductive.

MCT’s can be of great use on a diet high in complex carbs because of its protein sparing effects. But on the Anabolic Diet, the body, instead of using the long chain fatty acids that make up most body fat, uses the MCT’s. The body ends up bypassing the very metabolic processes that the Anabolic Diet sets up: to burn its own fat and use the long chain fatties as a primary energy source.

The long chain triglycerides utilized in the Anabolic Diet also have several advantages over the MCT’s. They have an even greater protein-sparing effect than the MCT’s. And along with decreasing the formation of bodyfat, which the MCT’s also do, they increase the amount of existing bodyfat broken down and greatly decrease bodyfat levels. A lot of people will be tempted to run down to the health food store and buy some MCT’s to be used on this diet, but don’t bite. They’ll actually work against the diet in terms of muscle
    production and fat breakdown.
    CO would be used before glycogen depletion, thus prolonging time to ketosis. DNP, can be used to achieve ketosis (dangerously) quickly on the other hand.
  11. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%

thanks steve. that is what i had said originally. but i was swayed into doing it anyway
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.95%

and there it is!
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.65%

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post

CO would be used before glycogen depletion, thus prolonging time to ketosis. DNP, can be used to achieved ketosis (dangerously) quickly on the other hand.
    so could you take the PCT for a week or so, then switch back to CO? I need to get my keto going ASAP!!! Want to do it safe, but want it fast as well.
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

CO would be used before glycogen depletion, thus prolonging time to ketosis. DNP, can be used to achieved ketosis (dangerously) quickly on the other hand.
    Anddddddddddd thats exactly where I read it.
  15. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    so could you take the PCT for a week or so, then switch back to CO? I need to get my keto going ASAP!!! Want to do it safe, but want it fast as well.
    Sorry, PCT? Post cycle therapy....? Drawing a blank here.

But the bottom line is that coconut oil is not an ideal fat source while on the anabolic diet. You can use it in low carb (but not ketogenic) diets.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.65%

Sorry, PCT? Post cycle therapy....? Drawing a blank here.

But the bottom line is that coconut oil is not an ideal fat source while on the anabolic diet. You can use it in low carb (but not ketogenic) diets.
    well don't i feel like an effing noob! haha
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.67%

In the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) each chain has 6 - 12 carbon atoms, and for the medically refined grades of MCT oil each chain has 8 - 10 carbon atoms.

MCT oil is interesting because, when it is metabolised in the body, it behaves rather more like a carbohydrate than a fat. The fuel of preference for the body is carbohydrate, and the body will use up its store of carbohydrate before using other fuels. Carbohydrates are quick acting and will be used within a few hours of eating, which is why we eat so frequently.

Unlike other fats, MCT oil does not go into the lymphatic system; instead it is transported directly to the liver where it is metabolised, so releasing energy quickly, just like a carbohydrate, and creating lots of ketones in the process.

The energy-enhancing properties of MCTs are attributed to the fact that they cross the double mitochondrial membrane very rapidly, and do not require the presence of carnitine. The result is an excess of acetyl-coA, which then follows various metabolic pathways, both in the mitochondria (Krebs Cycle), and in the cytosol, resulting in the production of ketones.

Long chain fats are converted into chemicals called chylomicrons by the digestive system, and these are then transported around the body by the lymphatic system before entering the circulatory system. This is a relatively slow process, and so fats metabolise more slowly than carbohydrates.

Long chain fats are metabolised by the mitochondria within the cell. Carnitine is essential to this process, because fat by itself cannot penetrate the membrane of the mitochondria. Each molecule of fat has to be transported across the mitochondrial membrane by binding with a molecule of carnitine. After the fat has been metabolised in the mitochondria the carnitine is again required to transport the waste product out as an acyl-carnitine.
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.04%

many say this and mct's do. I have never saw the research. It is good for testosterone production as not all saturated fats are bad. 20 % saturated fats of your total fat intake is fine.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    many say this and mct's do. I have never saw the research. It is good for testosterone production as not all saturated fats are bad. 20 % saturated fats of your total fat intake is fine.
    Actually a lot of the research done in the past on saturated fats is very circumstantial if you look deep in to it. Stearic acid for instance has no effect on cholesterol, palmitic and lauric acid, however, raise total cholesterol, but raise HDL and LDL simultaneously and if you know about cholesterol you know that is not necessarily a bad thing. Also there are good LDL particles and bad LDL particles. A simple LDL count does not tell the whole story. Not all LDL is bad. The old research that prompted the AHA to say saturated fat is bad is not conclusive. Men's health has an awesome article on it and they are usually objectionable against saturated fat. I do not limit my SF intake and my cholesterol numbers are outstanding. Check this out.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...eac____&page=1

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Goal Is Within Reach
    By Wudog in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 08:10 PM
  2. Glycobol on CKD diet? Kickin in ketosis faster
    By Violator4200 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2010, 11:07 AM
  3. does coconut oil cause you to get to ketosis faster?
    By soontobbeast in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM
  4. coconut cream = coconut oil?
    By wontdie in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM
  5. Reach Around
    By jakellpet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM