Is this a good plan?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Is this a good plan?

I'm gonna start trying to trim up here in 6 weeks or so. It is never to early to start planning.

I'm currently lifting pretty heavy and not doing much cardio. My plan is to go lighter weights with more reps. I figure my maintenance cals at 2700(28, 5-10, 184lbs). I'm gonna focus my diet on lower fat, I'll get more specific later on.

I was going to do HIIT twice a day, once in the AM and once after work, for 20 minutes each session.

I'm curious if I should take any fat loss supplements? I can access Atrophex pretty easily, otherwise I'd have to order online.

My current BF% is 16. I'd like to get around 13 or less before I leave this place.

Thanks for any help.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Everyone seems to think you need to lighten weight and do tons of reps to cut up. Most will agree, that to maintain a certain level of muscle mass and density, you should continue to lift in the same manner that produced those muscles. Yes you can switch it up occasionally and throw in some high rep sets, but I think you should continue to lift heavy and lower rest time between sets. Stay in 6-8 rep range. Yes, your strength might go down a bit on lower calories as a result, but you are still taxing your muscles by staying heavy. Stick with the heavy weight, maybe take a week off before you really start up, and lower rest periods between sets. Your workout time will go down so you can throw in 20 min of HIIT after lifting. Start there, and see how things go, then maybe add in a couple AM sessions of cardio.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    Everyone seems to think you need to lighten weight and do tons of reps to cut up. Most will agree, that to maintain a certain level of muscle mass and density, you should continue to lift in the same manner that produced those muscles. Yes you can switch it up occasionally and throw in some high rep sets, but I think you should continue to lift heavy and lower rest time between sets. Stay in 6-8 rep range. Yes, your strength might go down a bit on lower calories as a result, but you are still taxing your muscles by staying heavy. Stick with the heavy weight, maybe take a week off before you really start up, and lower rest periods between sets. Your workout time will go down so you can throw in 20 min of HIIT after lifting. Start there, and see how things go, then maybe add in a couple AM sessions of cardio.
    i agree with the lower rest peroids between but disargee slightly on the rep amounts. 6-8 range is good for mass the 8 to 12 range is best for hypertrophy. to the op, HIIT twice a day everyday (if that;s how your doing it) might be a bit excessive. you could probaby get away with doing that every other day.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Answers

This is a post from Lyle Mcdonald's website that I found:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    This is a post from Lyle Mcdonald's website that I found:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...al-growth.html
    very good article. it does drive home the point i made though, heavier weight, lower reps=mass. the op says he's cutting, so staying in the "mid rep range" would be beneficial to maintain and possibly slighty increase LBM with his cardio, and the result would be an increase in BMR, thus increasing fat burning and the likelyhood of permainent fat loss.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

I really like to mix up my rep range throughout the week. 5 reps one day, 10 another, 8 another. This has always helped me with gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously and keeping my body guessing (which is a good thing)

You don't need any fat loss supplements at this point. You should focus on getting your diet and lifting routine in the right place. After you are on track with those, adding a fat burner might help you out, but it is definitely not necessary for you to lose fat.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Thx for the help.

So, keep lifting, just do so with less rest between sets.

Just start working in the HIIT and go from there.

As for diet, what should my split be for protein/carbs/fat or recommended daily values???? Like 2200 cals, 225+ protein, <100 carb, <60 fat??

Any tips are appreciated.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. good supp plan???
    By gobigrgohme in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
  2. Good diet Plan Help
    By Ramo machine in forum Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 09:22 PM
  3. Is this a good plan?