Weight loss help

Jake1143

Awards
I am new to this website, and I am looking for some help with weight loss. I am 18 currently 207 lbs. I would like to lose a fair amount of weight, as I am not in the best of shape. I would appreciate any tips with doing this.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What is your diet like? You should be eating about 200-500 calories below maintenance for fat loss. Your calories should consist of lean protein (cottage cheese, chicken, beef, eggs), Healthy fats (olive oil, natural PB, unsweetened coconut, avocado) and Carbs (tons of veggies!)

Fat loss is mostly diet, so you need to be eating healthy if you want to see some results!

And what is your workout like?

Jake1143

Awards
I appreciate the quick response, and my diet consists of usually cereal for breakfast (wheaties or honey bunches of oats) and for lunch I have a non fat yogurt along with some type of fruit, banana, apple. and my dinner consists of meat, chicken or beef. at least two times a week I eat chicken salad for dinner. broccoli, chicken, etc. the rest of the nights it's steak with rice, or a potato.

I just started jogging outside for 25-30 minutes each day, with small 30 sec - 1 minute breaks every couple minutes walking quickly within the running but keeping my heartrate up, I also lift weights usually before doing that, upper body and lower body rotating throughout the week.

criticize every aspect you need to, I honestly know nothing about what I should be eating and what not.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Cut out the cereal in your diet. Replace it with home made oatmeal (make it with old fashioned oats- they are less processed) or plain yogurt (do not get the sweetened kind) with some fruit like berries, peaches, nectarines, grapefruit, kiwi- or something else low glycemic. Bananas and apples are not the best kinds of fruits to eat. You should be getting protein with every meal. That usually means eating some kind of meat or protein powder.

For lunch I would suggest cutting out the yogurt and sticking to a couple tablespoons of peanut butter with some more protein and LOTS of fibrous veggies (broccoli, spinach, cale, etc)

If you've just worked out, eating some more complex carbs with dinner should be fine. Sweet potato, yams or butternut squash w/ a little bit of honey over the top for sweetening is a good option post workout. Be sure that you are getting enough protein and fat with this meal too!

If you can separate your meals up so that you are eating the same amount of food just dispersed more throughout the day, this would be better. It will help with boosting your metabolism.

You need to figure out your maintenance calories. After you find out what they are, subtract 200 from them. This is how much you should eat on a daily basis to lose fat.

You should be drinking AT LEAST 1 gallon of water a day. Drinking closer to 2 would be better for a guy your size. Drinking lots of water will help you drop water weight and fat as well.

I would suggest that you do a full body lifting routine, 3-4 days a week. Squats, Deadlifts, Clean and press, dips, pull ups, chin ups (weight assisted if you need) rows, lunges step ups are all great movements to do on a weekly basis. They are compound movement, which means they work your whole body. This is a very good thing for burning fat!

Jake1143

Awards
for breakfast and lunch, since I do not eat meat in the beginning of the day I should drink a protein shake with both of these meals? if so, how much protein do you think I am looking to get with each meal.

I drink a massive amount of water each day, and I will definitely try and spread my meals out a bit. Would peanut butter and celery be something that would be healthy for me to eat at lunch?

Also, I will include the workouts you suggested into my workout days. I appreciate all the great advice.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
for breakfast and lunch, since I do not eat meat in the beginning of the day I should drink a protein shake with both of these meals? if so, how much protein do you think I am looking to get with each meal.

I drink a massive amount of water each day, and I will definitely try and spread my meals out a bit. Would peanut butter and celery be something that would be healthy for me to eat at lunch?

Also, I will include the workouts you suggested into my workout days. I appreciate all the great advice.
Yes, you should definitely be getting more protein with breakfast and lunch. Protein shakes will work, but if you can get some more solid protein in that would be better. You can start with 1 g of protein per 1 lb of your body weight a day. Split this up in to all of your meals. So, you are 207 lbs. Start eating 207 g of protein a day. If you split this into three meals you will need to be eating 69 g of protein with each meal. That is obviously a lot of food to try to get down in one meal- yet another reason why you should try to eat more frequently.

Peanut butter and celery are a great choice!

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Also, instead of focusing so much on weight loss, try to focus more on fat loss. With a weight lifting program you may lose fat and gain muscle. Since Muscle weighs more than fat, you may maintain or even gain weight. This is not a bad thing though! Muscle is more compact than fat, so you may end up looking smaller and the more muscle that you have, the easier it will be for you to drop fat. I suggest that you have a personal trainer at your gym measure your BF % for you, just so that you know where you are at. You can then set a BF goal for yourself.

Jake1143

Awards
Ok, that sounds good. Also, (sorry for taking up so much of your time) would something like Shred-XS Hardcore benefit me? I received a free sample in the mail and it seemed to cut my appetite and give me more energy.

Jake1143

Awards
That's exactly what I want to do, lose fat and gain muscle. Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I am not too concerned about losing a huge amount of weight, just getting my body to look good and also eating healthy along with that.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ok, that sounds good. Also, (sorry for taking up so much of your time) would something like Shred-XS Hardcore benefit me? I received a free sample in the mail and it seemed to cut my appetite and give me more energy.
I don't mind helping you out at all. I wouldn't be here if I did. :)

Umm...you don't need a fat loss supplement yet. Until you have your workout plan down as well as you diet and are already on the road to fat loss and have seen some results, you don't need any kind of fat loss supplement.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
That's exactly what I want to do, lose fat and gain muscle. Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I am not too concerned about losing a huge amount of weight, just getting my body to look good and also eating healthy along with that.
If you are trying to lose fat and gain muscle, once again you shouldn't be focused on WEIGHT loss. You should be thinking fat loss. Carb cycling is a very effective way of eating to reach your specific goal. Here is a good article on carb cycling that I have used for losing fat and gaining muscle (which is called recomping, BTW):

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_carb_cycling_codex

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Nice input BW. Jake, best of luck. Keep us updated.