Female very resistant to weight loss

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.

Female very resistant to weight loss

I need some help here as I am at my wits end. My wife is struggling with her weight for the last few years. In the past she has been fit and was an aerobics instructor and swam on a regular basis. We have two children and she has spent the majority of her time and effort on them. For the last two year she has been trying to loose weight and in fact continues to gain. I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and have trained many men and women over the years and am an avid fitness freak. We have tried everything. Changing food intake, interval training, stims, thermo, long slow distance, straight lifting, combination of pretty much everything I can think of let alone borrow from this forum. I need some help on a thought. Here is what I think is the problem. Let me know if you think I am on crack. Probably five years back she had a lump on her thyroid. The docs opened her up and took it and half of her thyroid with it. Every year on her physical she gets it tested and they say it is low but still in the range. Am I crazy thinking that in the range may be the issue here? She cooks for me and so I know what she eats. So short of her sneaking Snickers at work I am 100% it is not diet. We tried Thyroid Energy from Now but she feels absolutely the same. At this point she is ready to try and listen to any advice. Thanks for the insights. Cheers

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Hypothyroidism would explain her situation. Have you considered going to a different endocrinologist?
  3. Registered User

yea, assuming you did everything right... my thoughts are that it's a thyroid problem like Gator said, or a progesterone problem. It's best you consult this with a doctor.
    •   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

or she is eating snickers at work... Sadly the more stress on her related to weight loss also makes her more likely to drop into doing something like snickers as a comfort food.

When you say you've changed food intake, how low did you try calorically for how long?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

I can testify to the fact that after you have kids your metabolism slows down. I need to eat 6-7 small protein based meals to drop body fat.

What is her diet like?

It could be thyroid possibly. It also could be cortisol from stress. Kids can definitly add to stress.

How many times a week is she in the gym and what is her daily routine.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    I can testify to the fact that after you have kids your metabolism slows down. I need to eat 6-7 small protein based meals to drop body fat.

What is her diet like?

It could be thyroid possibly. It also could be cortisol from stress. Kids can definitly add to stress.

How many times a week is she in the gym and what is her daily routine.
    Is this more of an anectodal (ho science? lol jk) observation, or does something about pregancy/childbirth actually permanently slow a woman's metabolism?
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

Its a bit of both. I was fine with weight until after my 3rd child. I gained too much when I was pregnant with him. And like anything else age tends to slow metabolism in some people as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18772230?ordinalpos=1&itool=En trezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pub med_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_Discov eryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&l inkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.

Thank you to all who replied. We generally stayed on a specific diet (for lack of a better word) for three months. We tried a 5 day work out approach and her fatigue level was crazy. She basically was going to bed at 7 or 8 every night and could not get up in the am. Currently she is walking every morning and working out 3 times a week. This seems to fit her lifestyle and is manageable energy wise. We recently ended a three month CKD to which she gained 2 lbs. She booked an appointment to go back and discuss this with her current GP. She has been great and hope fully will assist in sending in the right direction with some blood tests.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

What was her calorie total during the CKD you did?
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.

11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'1"  130 lbs.

I have Hashimoto's.. and have to take thyroid hormone. My doc has me on enough to keep me in the high range, keeping my metabolism a bit boosted. When my thyroid dropped I gained weight that was very hard to get rid of. When she bumped me back up into the high end of normal, I got rid of it. I think a second opinion or more questions for her doctor is definitely worth a shot.
  12. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan8 View Post
    how tall is she and what does she weigh? That doesn't sound very calorically restrictive to me.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. female weight loss
    By Sharonisarose in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
  2. best supps for female weight/fat loss
    By ekdevil in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 04:24 AM
  3. Female Weight Loss Supplements?
    By thatdguy in forum Weight Loss