Can you build muscle on Keto?

1. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.97%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Can you build muscle on Keto?

Hey!
    Well, after finally getting over my chest injury, moving, living in relative poverty for a few weeks and being out of the gym for nearly 2 months, Im ready to go back at it. And I have lost some lean mass. (I assume about 5lbs) And of course my strength is down.
    Im still a solid 220ish, but Im really sick of the bulking fat Ive aquired over the past 2 years. Would it be a better idea to continue a 40/40/20 bulking diet for a few weeks to regain any muslce that Ive lost, and then go into keto - or can I gain it back on CKD?

BigV

2. ***** Vampire
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.12%

Quote Originally Posted by BigVrunga
    Hey!
    Well, after finally getting over my chest injury, moving, living in relative poverty for a few weeks and being out of the gym for nearly 2 months, Im ready to go back at it. And I have lost some lean mass. (I assume about 5lbs) And of course my strength is down.
    Im still a solid 220ish, but Im really sick of the bulking fat Ive aquired over the past 2 years. Would it be a better idea to continue a 40/40/20 bulking diet for a few weeks to regain any muslce that Ive lost, and then go into keto - or can I gain it back on CKD?

BigV
    I gained muscle while doing a CKD last year. What would happen was i would stay the same weight while BF dropped.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.73%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It will be difficult to add muscle on a keto diet even with androgens, but with you just getting back into it should make it a lot easier. You should have some of the effect that beginners experience, but to a lesser degree.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.97%

Thanks for the reponses guys. I was doing so well and then I just got my ass kicked. Injuries, working way too much, and then I had to move to another city in the middle of January. Im confident Ill blow back up relatively quick.
    I think it might be a better idea to get back into an anabolic state, and then switch to CKD. My plan is to get shredded and then bulk from there, with possibly another 1test cycle and super clean diet. Im carrying a lot of extra chunk from when I started lifting and thought that a double cheeseburger was great for required calories

BigV
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.56%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Since it's more about calories in than anything else, it will work. However, when bulking, the body is much more efficient when using carbs for fuel as opposed to fat.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  264 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.5%

I have lost 15lbs in 3 months, and gained probably 8 or 9 of pure muscle, purely judging from look and feel of various bodyparts.., strength has gone up as well as endurance, but this is going from 295 to 280.. used 40-40-20 to get from 320-300

anyways im around 215 lean, and have been on a CKD for 3 months . Recovery is slower but its noticable that the fat is being replaced by muscle.
  7. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.97%

Kristopher -
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds as if your BF% is higher than mine, Im about 195-200 lean (approx). I believe that with a higher BF% it is possible to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time. How tall are you, BTW?
    I did some more studying since my first post, and I think the best thing for me to do is bulk back up to 230-235 (its already comming on quick) and then CKD down to a ripped 205 or so.

Then, T1 cycle and a ton of clean cals

BigV
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.17%

Have you checked out c-k-d.com. I think they have a few threads about doing a ckd bulk, maybe even a tdk.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.54%

I wouldn't do a bulking CKD. You need the carbs to grow. You can a add a little LBM while doing a CKD though but really that much IMO. So I would just do a clean bulk then diet afterwards.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.77%

pherhaps you may be better suited to do a TKD diet where you still remain in ketosis but you consume a set amt of carbs pre and post workout to feed your muscles and continue to grow.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.33%

Keto promotes fat loss which is a form of catabolism, so it will be insanely hard to have large gains while on keto.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 11:32 AM
  2. Can you overtraing while on gear?
    By seriousbsnz in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM
  3. Can I keep Muscle on BF% loss program?
    By jcr1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 01:27 AM
  4. Can you bring supps on airlines?
    By F355 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM
  5. Can you ECA while on a cycle
    By rdj6107 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2005, 01:29 AM