Ever wonder why competitors DONT do keto?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I go on a bunch of boards and consider AM to be a very beginner board. There are some experienced guys but in general not nearly as much as some others.

On boards with competitors carb cycling (don't give me the BS and CKD is card cycling blah blah - thats crap) is always used and keto diets are ignored.

Does anyone here actually get below 10% BF regularly using Keto?

Any diet before 10% is childs play and yeah keto works but I am getting skeptical about it - why is this the only board that I see keto still preached?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I know several competitors that use keto. The guy that goes to our gym that uses it got Mr Ohio on it. He is always lean all year round and he holds huge size. His vascularity is off the hook as well. He is well below 8-6% at his shows.

Now me myself I seem to do better with some carbs.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure what you are asking. AM to me is not a beginner board. It really depends on what your goals are. Actually I just had a good discussion on this very subject on another board a couple weeks ago. IMO, if you are cutting for a contest, a no carb approach is going to make you loose too much muscle and be flat. People are different and goals are different. What goal are you looking to achieve?

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am trying to decide on a diet by monday and sometimes the best way to get a good discussion going is to be a bit abbrasive to be honest...

This board builds up keto as the end all of diets. I am a bit behind scheduel. I would say I am 5 10" max ha and maybe 208 since I got the swine flu (not a joke) and hoping by monday I can diet again. Looking to get from about 10% to 6% or so while staying about 202-205. Will be enhanced so am thinking so carbs could help in muscle gains BUT I so get more cut on keto. The addition of T3 on keto is dangerous but I am running it which leans mlore towards carb cycling. Would do ud 2.0 but I can dedicate my weekends to training - might be a slacker but I am getting out of a bad 2 years relationship and need to party sometimes

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Every competitor that i know, that i can think of goes no carb. In Northern NJ alot of guys use palumbo or people that are from his camp, and I beleive they do no carb diets. The guy who got me into powerlifting, Joel Toranzo, has a show in June, and he is not, and has not been eating any carbs for a while now. Palumbo gets his guys razor sharp as well. Next time i see some of the guys who are competing on the national level, i am going to ask them, because i am curious.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Every competitor that i know, that i can think of goes no carb. In Northern NJ alot of guys use palumbo or people that are from his camp, and I beleive they do no carb diets. The guy who got me into powerlifting, Joel Toranzo, has a show in June, and he is not, and has not been eating any carbs for a while now. Palumbo gets his guys razor sharp as well. Next time i see some of the guys who are competing on the national level, i am going to ask them, because i am curious.
National level guys are damn freaks ha...

I am really concerned with the super low protein of a keto diet. I have been eating 400 grams and cant picture dropping to like 150 or lower.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
Palumbo has all of his clients on Keto diets pre contest. One of them is Tony Freeman.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Palumbo has all of his clients on Keto diets pre contest. One of them is Tony Freeman.
I may be wrong but I dont think Palumbo follows a true keto I think his protein is higher. I'll read more on it though

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
You are correct. I have his DVD that is based on his diet and have watched it probably 5 times lol. His protein is higher, at about 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight. But his diet is still consiered ketogenic simply becasue it puts your body into a state of ketosis.

IMO, I wouldnt follow any other keto diet but his. Unless it is a CKD like Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You are correct. I have his DVD that is based on his diet and have watched it probably 5 times lol. His protein is higher, at about 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight. But his diet is still consiered ketogenic simply becasue it puts your body into a state of ketosis.

IMO, I wouldnt follow any other keto diet but his. Unless it is a CKD like Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale.
I always did the .75 or so grams per pound - most of my fats from hemp seed oil.

I am worried about his diet kicking me out of ketosis especially with a little t3 added in (really helps me). But my cutting cycle is going like **** right now so I need a change

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
I always did the .75 or so grams per pound - most of my fats from hemp seed oil.

I am worried about his diet kicking me out of ketosis especially with a little t3 added in (really helps me). But my cutting cycle is going like **** right now so I need a change
Well the way I look at it is like this, he is proven and so is his diet. I think it is the best way to cut BF efficeintly while MAINTAINING muscle. At that low of carb intake, there will be no building muscle. But keep in mind, his diet is geared towards people who dont need to build muscle since they have plenty. On his diet you will have a cheat meal once a week to replenish glycogen and this will kick out out of ketosis. But, since you have maintanined ketosis all week, you will be back on track by the next morning. So it doesnt hurt you at all.

So it's not for everyone. Even myself, as I switched to a CKD diet that incorperates his diet Mon-Fri and Dr. Pasqual's on Sat. So essentially it is a CKD and I am cutting down REALLY fast and actually gettting stonger!

I have done tons of research on different keto type diets and feel that Dave's is the most effeccient, if you can handle the low carbs. Which after the first few days is not so bad.

Check this out http://www.probodybuilding.com/video/video-interviews/index.php

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anyone have any GOOD info on daves diet? Only stuff I am finding is on bb.com...

I was just so convinced that protein had to be kept very low

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the vids... watching now... wow he is a homely dude

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
Scroll down the page on the link i posted. He goes through his whole diet in the 3 videos.

Edit: I see you are doing that now.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the vids... watching now... wow he is a homely dude
You should see the shape he stays in ALL the time. I know he is not the best looking guy in the world but he is IN SHAPE no doubt.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know if glycerol/glycerin is ok on his diet? I just bought a friggin gallon

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone know if glycerol/glycerin is ok on his diet? I just bought a friggin gallon

He would say no. He says that sugar alcohols are basically carbs and not to mention they tear some peoples' stomach apart (me) lol.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SO my broke ass could have bought eviscerate... f'ing great

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
First of all keto diets spare muscle protein. Its the first few days where u get into ketosis gluconeogenisis from AA is more pronounced. This is why I personally like dan duchaines way of "help" to get into ketosis toi shift metabolism faster. There are tons of things that go into these diets. Research included to make sure it works the best possible way. IMO more muscle loss is from mod carb low fat high protein due to the switching back and forth between glucose and ketones. And this relates to my srtatement earlier in this post

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
I may be wrong but I dont think Palumbo follows a true keto I think his protein is higher. I'll read more on it though
I would consider his diet the bodybuilder's keto diet standard. Even he cycles carbs though for one meal/week to keep the thyroid pumping. Fundamentally, (although I've never heard him explicitly state this) he thinks a competitor is better off coming into a competition in crazy condition and a little flat then to overdo the carbs and lose the conditioning.

Here's his basic diet...

MEAL #1 5 whole eggs (OMEGA-3 EGGS ); add another 4 egg whites to this

MEAL #2 SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter

MEAL #3 "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/3-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4 SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter

MEAL #5 "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar..

MEAL #6 SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites..

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am trying to decide on a diet by monday and sometimes the best way to get a good discussion going is to be a bit abbrasive to be honest...

This board builds up keto as the end all of diets. I am a bit behind scheduel. I would say I am 5 10" max ha and maybe 208 since I got the swine flu (not a joke) and hoping by monday I can diet again. Looking to get from about 10% to 6% or so while staying about 202-205. Will be enhanced so am thinking so carbs could help in muscle gains BUT I so get more cut on keto. The addition of T3 on keto is dangerous but I am running it which leans mlore towards carb cycling. Would do ud 2.0 but I can dedicate my weekends to training - might be a slacker but I am getting out of a bad 2 years relationship and need to party sometimes
You may get more cut but do you have data to support that you get more lean - lose more body fat. Keto definitely works but it rapid visual improvement is water and glycogen depletion. I used to swear and live by it. Now I cycle carbs and get lean from cardio - lots of cardio - which allows me satiation and more calories while losing body fat and maintaining a fullnes and strngth that I just can achieve with keto. JMHO

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Personally I felt my muscles were full when I did a diet of 150-175 prot and 200g of fat. With more prot and less fat I felt flat but the cals were also VERY low. Strongest I ever was was at 202 - no more than 6-7% and tossing around 255 for reps on incline bench (im not a naturally strong dude) while doing what I ended up finding out was a velocity diet (had no idea just made it up)

I will be using exogenous t3 to keep my thyroid going and may pop a dnp or two the first week to get into keto faster. I always believed in dieting with as little cardio as possible because it always worked. 3 times a week is the most I ever did but maybe I should try moderate carbs with more cardio...

Damn I hate this decision but as soon as I get over this flu I need to get cut up

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The guy that does the diets and competes recommends a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt with every meal. He says it keeps his muscles looking full. He also does Daves diet and has a carb up once a week.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
The guy that does the diets and competes recommends a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt with every meal. He says it keeps his muscles looking full. He also does Daves diet and has a carb up once a week.

Yep, the salt keeps the muscle full. Since carboHYDATES usually keep the muscle full. Dave does not have salt restrictions on his diet IIRC.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yep, the salt keeps the muscle full. Since carboHYDATES usually keep the muscle full. Dave does not have salt restrictions on his diet IIRC.
No he does not. Personally I think the best diet for someone is one they can stick with. If I do a competition diet with low carb then I know no matter what supps I'm on I'll get foggy. This can be an issue when you are driving and have kids in the car.

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
No he does not. Personally I think the best diet for someone is one they can stick with. If I do a competition diet with low carb then I know no matter what supps I'm on I'll get foggy. This can be an issue when you are driving and have kids in the car.

Very true. I found that the longer I stuck with the diet, the easier it got. But like you said, It's not for everyone. Especially if you get foggy while driving!!!