I want to cut up.

badoo

Awards
My stats:
5' 10' 218lbs
probably 24-27% BF

I eat 6 times a day mostly as follows:
2 eeg white omlet with 1 slice of ham in it or cup of oatmeal with 1 spoonful of peanut butter and a handful of raisins.
Protein shake or fruit
Lean meat (approx 3-4 oz) with a vegatable or a salad with the protein
Protein shake or fruit
Lean meat (approx 4- 6 oz) with a starch brown rice or vegatable
protein shake before sleep.

I currently take only a fat burner and a animal pak for vitamins.

I try to train at least 5 days a week. 3 weight days and 2 cardio days. Cardio days are 30 minutes on a treadmil or stairclimber. Weight days are chest, bi and shoulder and then back tri and abs. Lastly legs bi and tri . all this with 1 day of rest between each workout day.

I can't seem to get lean. I am a firefighter with a very active lifestyle. I need help cutting. What am I missing or what do I need to change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Duty-Pride-Tradition

Let us never, ever forget those that have gone before us in the line of duty. Because those brave souls have given all, it is up to us to keep them alive in our hearts and our memories.

Everyone Goes Home

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to AM!

How long have you been on this current diet?? How much Protein, carbs, fats, calories are you taking in and what is your maintenance calories for each day?

If you do not know this information there are alot of calorie calculators out there that can tell you a base.

http://caloriecount.about.com/foods - this is a good start for getting ur basic calories

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm - This is a good database for workouts

Whats the fat burner you use? What kind of lifts are you doing on your muscle days?

Are they the same routine for weeks on end, with the same weights and lifts?

Just some basic Q's... so we can get a better grip on ya.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I agree post up specific workout. You have bi's and tris twice, which isn't necessarily bad, it just might not be working for you. Also, 6 meals a day is great, just tweek what they are a bit. Can you do cardio in the am before breakfast? Do you have workout equipment at station you work in? All pretty easy tweeks to make, since you seem to be in a pretty good habit of training and eating on a schedule. Those things are usually the hardest for people to get into habit of.

I would say you should be around 2500 cals or so, as a start. You should be getting around 200-250 grams of protein a day minimum. Don't need a ton more than that. shoot for 35-45 grams of protein a meal. Flip flop the carbs in lunch and dinner, move the starches to earlier meal, have greens or veggies in evening. Try switching out at least 1 shake for another whole food meal. Drink shakes around training. I would bump cardio and add 20-30 min of cardio after lifting. if that starts to stall, then increase cardio to 45 min on non lifting days.

I've done the firefighter thing 6-7 years ago and know how demanding it is. If you don't have one, maybe invest in a weighted vest to wear while on stair climber or treadmill. That alone will increase intensity of cardio quickly, as well as improve performance when wearing turnouts and air bottle.

BTW, I'm proud of you for wanting to get in shape, b/c I know too many IAFF members that are fat, out of shape, and would possibly die if they ever went down in a building because it would take 3-4 guys to drag them out. Only thing worse then a out of shape FF is a fat cop. No offense to anyone in those categories, but you owe it to yourself to get into shape, or it could cost you your life.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It definitely doesn't look like you are eating enough food. You are an active MALE adult and you are eating much less than I do daily. Eating ENOUGH food is very important. You should never have more than a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance level. Your metabolism has probably slowed down quite a bit from eating such a small amount of food. I would suggest that you bump your calories back up to maintenance for a couple of weeks, then start up a 200 calorie deficit.

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established
I think your diet looks good. Throw some EC in there and you should start seeing the results you're looking for.

merph

merph

Awards
It definitely doesn't look like you are eating enough food. You are an active MALE adult and you are eating much less than I do daily. Eating ENOUGH food is very important. You should never have more than a 500 calorie deficit from your maintenance level. Your metabolism has probably slowed down quite a bit from eating such a small amount of food. I would suggest that you bump your calories back up to maintenance for a couple of weeks, then start up a 200 calorie deficit.
Very good advice. Not eating enough is as bad if not worse than eating too much.

I think your diet looks good. Throw some EC in there and you should start seeing the results you're looking for.

Why is it every time someone asks about loosing weight this statement comes up? It is awesome it works for me and I love it but it is not a magic bullet. If someone's diet, exercise, and sleep habbits could take a few basic changes and make a great deal of difference why shouldn't we help them that way? Anyone can say e/c/a and answer 90% of peoples "what can I do to loose weight" question.

I don't want to sound like an ass but it seems like when ever someone asks a question its a very generic response to say clean up your diet or throw in e/c/a. Hell if he only drinks on to two quarts of water a day extra water could help out a little.

Badoo if your still with me sorry for the rant. Do you know what your bmr is? If so how much of above or below are you? How much water do you get a day as well? The answers to these questions can make giving you specific advice a lot easier.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Very good advice. Not eating enough is as bad if not worse than eating too much.

Why is it every time someone asks about loosing weight this statement comes up? It is awesome it works for me and I love it but it is not a magic bullet. If someone's diet, exercise, and sleep habbits could take a few basic changes and make a great deal of difference why shouldn't we help them that way? Anyone can say e/c/a and answer 90% of peoples "what can I do to loose weight" question.

I don't want to sound like an ass but it seems like when ever someone asks a question its a very generic response to say clean up your diet or throw in e/c/a. Hell if he only drinks on to two quarts of water a day extra water could help out a little.

Badoo if your still with me sorry for the rant. Do you know what your bmr is? If so how much of above or below are you? How much water do you get a day as well? The answers to these questions can make giving you specific advice a lot easier.
:thumbsup::goodpost:

Gator 87

Awards
  • Established

From what I read, he pretty much already has everything in check. Also, he is 34 years old, so he should be able to research the EC advice and make an educated decision on his own. It's not like I'm telling a 14 year old kid to take DNP.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
You might also eliminate the starchy carbs at dinner. Switch to more green veggies. Of course depending on work that day, if you finished working a nasty structure fire or something that completely wiped you out, some rice or sweet potato might be beneficial. Just don't over do it.

Jake1143

Awards
I agree post up specific workout. You have bi's and tris twice, which isn't necessarily bad, it just might not be working for you. Also, 6 meals a day is great, just tweek what they are a bit. Can you do cardio in the am before breakfast? Do you have workout equipment at station you work in? All pretty easy tweeks to make, since you seem to be in a pretty good habit of training and eating on a schedule. Those things are usually the hardest for people to get into habit of.

I would say you should be around 2500 cals or so, as a start. You should be getting around 200-250 grams of protein a day minimum. Don't need a ton more than that. shoot for 35-45 grams of protein a meal. Flip flop the carbs in lunch and dinner, move the starches to earlier meal, have greens or veggies in evening. Try switching out at least 1 shake for another whole food meal. Drink shakes around training. I would bump cardio and add 20-30 min of cardio after lifting. if that starts to stall, then increase cardio to 45 min on non lifting days.

I've done the firefighter thing 6-7 years ago and know how demanding it is. If you don't have one, maybe invest in a weighted vest to wear while on stair climber or treadmill. That alone will increase intensity of cardio quickly, as well as improve performance when wearing turnouts and air bottle.

BTW, I'm proud of you for wanting to get in shape, b/c I know too many IAFF members that are fat, out of shape, and would possibly die if they ever went down in a building because it would take 3-4 guys to drag them out. Only thing worse then a out of shape FF is a fat cop. No offense to anyone in those categories, but you owe it to yourself to get into shape, or it could cost you your life.
:goodpost: