Need help losing weight!

Noroxas

Awards
Okay, well I'm going to try to describe this the best I can. I am not educated in the health area, and I am still learning alot about lifting weights and other matters at the gym, so any information you guys can provide me if really appreciated. Currently, I am 6'2", 280lbs. I am 18 years old, and as you can tell, I am overweight. I have always been bigger in size for my age, and have a sort of football build to myself. I don't know what my Body fat % is, but I'm sure it's probably around 25-30% :/. I haven't been eating to healthy throughout the past few years, and I'm really regretting it now. I am shifting into high gear, and I am sick of looking the way I am. I want to figure out how to trim the pounds, and look great like other people. Now, my diet and workout routine has lost me 20 pounds in about 8 weeks, but for about 3 weeks now, I've been at the same weight and can't lose more :l. I am willing to work hard to lose me extra weight, and enjoy doing summer activities like going to the beach without being self-conscious!

I am looking to lose alot of my body fat (possibly weight 220ish), and possibly get some muscle mass built up. I have been following a diet and workout routine, but it seems I've either hit a plateau or I am doing something wrong, whether it is how I am working out, or my diet in general.

--------------------------------------------
My Diet is as follows:

Morning (8 am): I will usually make about 1/2 a cup egg whites, or make 3 hard boiled eggs, and eat the egg whites, and save 1 egg yolk, then a fruit, usually a banana, a cup of strawberries, or a pear.

1st Snack (10:30ish): Another fruit, usually the same choices I had for breakfast, depending on what I am in the mood for.

Lunch (1:00pm-1:30ish): I will make a Ham, turkey, or chicken lunch meat sandwich on low calorie bread, with mustard for some flavoring, a fruit that I am in the mood for, and a weight watcher yogurt.

2nd Snack (3pm-4ish): Another fruit of choice that I am in the mood for

Dinner (6-6:30ish): A lean protein meat cooked on the grill usually (Fish, chicken, turkey, ect.) Or on occasion a low fat, leaner red meat, with a side of vegetables and brown rice.

My Workout Plan is as follows:

Monday: 10 Minute Warm up Cardio, Chest and Arms
Tuesday: 1 hour Cardio
Wednesday: 10 Minute Warm up Cardio, Back, Shoulders, Traps
Thursday: 1 Hour Cardio
Friday: 10 Minute Warm up Cardio, Legs

The thing is, I have been listening to someone who works at my gym as a trainer, and he told me to take creatine monohydrate as a supplement on lifting days, and also told me if I wanted to get big, to do a 5x5 routine (still learning routines too..)So basically, I go REALLY hard on workout days, first two sets are warm ups of 5 reps, then the last 3 sets are raising the weights to max by the last set, only doing 5 reps for each set, and I pretty much do this for everything, except legs and arms.

I am starting to think that taking creatine is just going to make me gain unwanted weight and doing a 5x5 workout is more of a mass building workout, which is not what I am aiming for so I am in distraught.

I would include some pictures to show my body as it is now, but I can't post pictures or URLs unless I post more I think? For a mind picture, I have fat problems, in my lower chest, upper chest (have man boobs :/), and basically all around. I'm really dedicated into looking good, especially because college is coming up now, and I dabbled my way through high school with a body I didn't want.

Now, I have seen improvements in muscle, but I am hearing some speculation you can't really bulk up and lose weight at the same time? As I said, I am really uneducated in all aspects of this so any advice is great and of course, my main goal is to lose the weight, even at the cost of not being able to get muscle mass for now as I can do that later, after achieving my weight loss goal.

(Again, I have lost about 20lbs, but I've come to a hault recently and can't seem to lose more weight, not sure what the reason is, but it is starting to make me lose motivation, which I don't need. I was so motivated once I started seeing results, but seeing them hault for about 3 weeks sucks!)

Thanks in advance to all that help. Basically if needed, please post a complete overhaul and well put Diet / Workout routine if you suggest a new one, as I would like one to follow.

- Ben

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Something seems off about your meal plan... 4 meals througout the day?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
well here's the thing. you need to know your BF%. because your lifting weights and doing cardio you might actully be putting on weight in the form of muscle. watch the scale all you want but if your staying the same weight and losing BF then its a good thing. go and get some calipers, you can get them from nutraplanet i think, thats where i got mine, and start using them. also take out that last snack that has fruit in it and replace it was something low in carbs, alwyas lower carbs as the day progresses, not including your pre w/o meal

Noroxas

Awards
well here's the thing. you need to know your BF%. because your lifting weights and doing cardio you might actully be putting on weight in the form of muscle. watch the scale all you want but if your staying the same weight and losing BF then its a good thing. go and get some calipers, you can get them from nutraplanet i think, thats where i got mine, and start using them. also take out that last snack that has fruit in it and replace it was something low in carbs, alwyas lower carbs as the day progresses, not including your pre w/o meal
I see, well I can get my BF% checked at my gym, so perhaps I will do that tomorrow.

What exactly could I replace my last snack with then? And also since you say lower my carbs, should I not eat vegetables for a side at dinner then?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure how you got 4 meals, but I stated 5, did I not? 3 Main meals, and 2 snacks. Haha
My bad bro, i wasn't haprin' on ya.

Maybe swap out the last fruit meal with a can of Tuna? Lean no carbs, and not fat for the most part. I use tuna like its going out of style, or a Protein shake.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I see, well I can get my BF% checked at my gym, so perhaps I will do that tomorrow.

What exactly could I replace my last snack with then? And also since you say lower my carbs, should I not eat vegetables for a side at dinner then?
greens are alright. replace the last snack with cottage cheese or some turkey jerky....figure out anything you like to eat that's low in carbs. the thing is here, your going to have to add up all those cals, carbs, fat and protein to see just how much of what your eating.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
have you ever gone to fitday.com? check it out i t will help you add up the food

Noroxas

Awards
My bad bro, i wasn't haprin' on ya.

Maybe swap out the last fruit meal with a can of Tuna? Lean no carbs, and not fat for the most part. I use tuna like its going out of style, or a Protein shake.
Haha it's cool dude, I figured it was just read fast or something, and I just noticed it probably seemed that I came off a little snappy too, didn't mean to if so.

Anyway, is that the only change you think I should make? Everything else seems pretty good?

Noroxas

Awards
greens are alright. replace the last snack with cottage cheese or some turkey jerky....figure out anything you like to eat that's low in carbs. the thing is here, your going to have to add up all those cals, carbs, fat and protein to see just how much of what your eating.
I may start using fitday.com as it seems very helpful. How is my diet other than the last snack though? Also...how much cals, carbs, fats, and protein should I be getting in a normal day? I'm seeing alot that there are some fats I should eat daily, where I have been eliminating all types of fats all together. Is that bad?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I think the rest looks pretty good. Maybe break the meals up a little more. I have 6 meals a day but im up for a large portion of the day with my job and other stuff going on.

I like the fruit with how much cardio you do tho.

Noroxas

Awards
I think the rest looks pretty good. Maybe break the meals up a little more. I have 6 meals a day but im up for a large portion of the day with my job and other stuff going on.

I like the fruit with how much cardio you do tho.
Well thats good to hear, how could I break the meals up a little bit more? Should I eat my first meal ealier? I try not to eat after 7 o'clock all together.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Hmm before i go to bed i always eat a cup of cottage cheese, because its a slow burning Protein i don't wake up hungry as hell and i actually feel better. Your breakfast looks good but i think you might need something between ur second and third meal, maybe break ur lunch into two meals of the same size. Eating after 7pm is not a bad thing as long as its lower carb.

Noroxas

Awards
Hmm before i go to bed i always eat a cup of cottage cheese, because its a slow burning Protein i don't wake up hungry as hell and i actually feel better. Your breakfast looks good but i think you might need something between ur second and third meal, maybe break ur lunch into two meals of the same size. Eating after 7pm is not a bad thing as long as its lower carb.
I see, well I can do that. How is my workout routine for losing weight? The 5x5 is mainly for bulking is it not, should I be on a different routine?

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I don't take creatine, i don't like the added water weight and needing to take it constantly. Will you see strength gains? Oh yeah, but when i stopped taking it i lost size, not strength, but size and definition. Which annoyed me...

I do a form of x8 rep thing that i have learned in the marines. And it works for me, but im gonna move to 5x5. I don't know much about lifting routines that just tone... I lift to gain mass so for me 5X5 will prolly work good. But i always felt that 8 - 12 reps was a good amount.

Maybe another member will come by and help you out? Sorry bro

Noroxas

Awards
I don't take creatine, i don't like the added water weight and needing to take it constantly. Will you see strength gains? Oh yeah, but when i stopped taking it i lost size, not strength, but size and definition. Which annoyed me...

I do a form of x8 rep thing that i have learned in the marines. And it works for me, but im gonna move to 5x5. I don't know much about lifting routines that just tone... I lift to gain mass so for me 5X5 will prolly work good. But i always felt that 8 - 12 reps was a good amount.

Maybe another member will come by and help you out? Sorry bro
Ah okay I see, and it's okay. I mean I deff. want to get mass myself (I'm already a big dude, and want to get bigger), but I'm not sure getting mass is the best choice for me being that my main goal is losing weight. I appreciate all your help thus far though. Hopefully someone else can help

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I see, well I can do that. How is my workout routine for losing weight? The 5x5 is mainly for bulking is it not, should I be on a different routine?
for muscular hypertrophy the 8 to 12 rep range is where you want to be. less will tend to put on more mass and strength, more and you will be using slow-twitch muscle fibers which are noramlly utlized for aerobic activity. so, the 8 to 12 range is where i would hang out. try and keep the rests between sets down too, 1 to 2 minutes max

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Okay, well I'm going to try to describe this the best I can. I am not educated in the health area, and I am still learning alot about lifting weights and other matters at the gym, so any information you guys can provide me if really appreciated. Currently, I am 6'2", 280lbs. I am 18 years old, and as you can tell, I am overweight. I have always been bigger in size for my age, and have a sort of football build to myself. I don't know what my Body fat % is, but I'm sure it's probably around 25-30% :/. I haven't been eating to healthy throughout the past few years, and I'm really regretting it now. I am shifting into high gear, and I am sick of looking the way I am. I want to figure out how to trim the pounds, and look great like other people. Now, my diet and workout routine has lost me 20 pounds in about 8 weeks, but for about 3 weeks now, I've been at the same weight and can't lose more :l. I am willing to work hard to lose me extra weight, and enjoy doing summer activities like going to the beach without being self-conscious!
Like others are saying, it would definitely be a good idea to know what your body fat is and focus on losing fat not overall weight. This way you can set up what your goal BF% is rather than your goal weight- this will be a much better thing to focus on.

My Diet is as follows:

Morning (8 am): I will usually make about 1/2 a cup egg whites, or make 3 hard boiled eggs, and eat the egg whites, and save 1 egg yolk, then a fruit, usually a banana, a cup of strawberries, or a pear.

1st Snack (10:30ish): Another fruit, usually the same choices I had for breakfast, depending on what I am in the mood for.

Lunch (1:00pm-1:30ish): I will make a Ham, turkey, or chicken lunch meat sandwich on low calorie bread, with mustard for some flavoring, a fruit that I am in the mood for, and a weight watcher yogurt.

2nd Snack (3pm-4ish): Another fruit of choice that I am in the mood for

Dinner (6-6:30ish): A lean protein meat cooked on the grill usually (Fish, chicken, turkey, ect.) Or on occasion a low fat, leaner red meat, with a side of vegetables and brown rice.
It really doesn't look to me like you are eating enough. You need to calculate your maintenance calories (keep in mind all of your activity) and then subtract 200-500 Calories from that. This will result in how many calories you should eat a day. Eating too low of calories could definitely be resulting in your fat loss plateau.

I would say cut a lot of the fruit out of your day. Unless it is a workout day, you definitely don't need that many carbs. In the morning, 30g will be fine with breakfast, but definitely chose a low glycemic fruit such as peaches, berries, watermelon. Bananas are very high in carbs and higher glycemically than other fruit. They don't provide a whole lot of nutritional benefit either.

Bump your veggie and protein intake up. Replacing a lot of the fruit you are eating with veggies and protein will really make a difference. It doesn't seem to me like you are eating enough protein.

The brown rice is fine in your post workout meal, but on your off days cut it out.

As for fats: You probably need to bump up your fat intake. At least 20% of your daily calories need to come from healthy fat (olive oil, Peanut butter, unsweetened coconut, avocado, etc). And 20% is the minimum. Fats are vital for proper hormonal function, and throwing off your hormones by not eating them is bad.

My Workout Plan is as follows:

Monday: 10 Minute Warm up Cardio, Chest and Arms
Tuesday: 1 hour Cardio
Wednesday: 10 Minute Warm up Cardio, Back, Shoulders, Traps
Thursday: 1 Hour Cardio
Friday: 10 Minute Warm up Cardio, Legs
I would also suggest changing your workout completely. Full body routines are going to help you out the most with fat loss. Every time you lift you should be doing heavy compound movements. Clean and Press, Squats, Deadlifts and Dips, Pull Ups and Chin Ups (weight assisted if needed) Lunges, Step Ups are all good movements to incorporate throughout the week. Changing up your rep and sets will help keep your body from adapting to the routine.

Now, I have seen improvements in muscle, but I am hearing some speculation you can't really bulk up and lose weight at the same time? As I said, I am really uneducated in all aspects of this so any advice is great and of course, my main goal is to lose the weight, even at the cost of not being able to get muscle mass for now as I can do that later, after achieving my weight loss goal.

It is definitely possible to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously (it is called recomping) . Some people don't believe that it can happen, but I have done it, my husband has done it and there are several other people on the board who have logged their recomp progress.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to go a bit different direction than the rest here :) keep the fruits, keep the carbs. You first need to get to a normal weight before you start worrying about getting really lean or really muscular. And to do that, you need to learn skills that will last. I don't think you want to go the rest of your life without fruit or carbs right? So you need to work on the overall set of how to eat and eat well.

You didn't get to over 300lbs in 2 or 4 or 6 months, it took a long time. you have habits, and you need to shed old ones and create new ones. If you want this to really work, you need to make the changes in your life over time so that each one becomes a new habit and each one becomes a part of how you will live the rest of your life. You aren't going on a diet, you are changing the way you eat.

You needs to forget about "dieting" and instead learn how to eat. You can't view what you are doing as a phase or something you'll stop once she reaches x goal, it has to be a change of life. Otherwise, when you hit that goal you won't have learned to eat a way you enjoy, and will very likely go back to eating poorly and gain weight back.

All you really needs to do is eat less than what your maintenance is, and over time you'll get there. You should target either one meal or one of your weak food points every 3-4 weeks to change, and the same with exercises. That gives you enough time to have adjusted to the last change and have it feel like a normal part of life. If you wants faster results, remind yourself of how long it took you to get to that size. If it takes you 18 months to get down to 200 from 280 you are at now, so what? You'll hit 200 at a diet and exercise level that you can keep up the rest of your life and be happy with.

here is some referential stuff to think about, or pick up this book. They have it and some of the variations on it at Sams Club even

I feel like I've posted this a thousand times but here it goes again :)

So do you eat the muffin normally and then eat a ton of other stuff as well? or do you eat 1/3 of the pile of fruit and save the rest for later?

Do you have the tart for 440 cals or just one bowl of the raspberries for 55 cals?

Do you end up eating all the things on the left side, instead of the meal on the right side that ends up being 1/3 the calories?

This is from Dr Randy Shapiro's Picture Perfect Weight Loss

http://pictureperfectweightloss.com/

So for now, think about a day of how you ate before you started this diet. Think about how you'd like to eat. And then start thinking about how you can eat in a way you can sustain over the next 60+ years of your life while looking the way you want to look :)