CKD or Carb Cycling...

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.41%

CKD or Carb Cycling...

So I've been doing a ckd diet for a while now... but I'm kinda curious about carb cycling, however even though I've been searching through AM's threads I cant seem to find a thread specifically about this. I understand two things.

1. ckd uses ffa's for energy. and no carbs. good results.
    2. carb cycling uses carbs, once depleted u start, if you're lucky to use ffa's for energy. I also understand that there are three days hi med low carb days. this is so your metabolic rate stays high and cant predict.

I want to lose weight, I'm doing a great job on my ckd, but I also want better gains in the gym and I was hoping that eating carbs would help with recorvery and with my muscles growing bigger part.

as long as I'm in a cal deficit I should be fine right? carbs will just further my gains in lbm verus the gains I'm getting from ckd...correct? remember I want to lose fat, I don't care about how much the scale says I weigh.

what are your opinions on the diets, which is your favorite, why?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.52%
    Achievements Posting Pro

If you are having card refeed on weekend, you are carb cycling. That term could have several meanings depending on your specific plan. Days with low carbs, then day or two with high carbs. Some carb load every 3 days, a typical CKD is on weekends. If you aren't having carb ups then technically you aren't on a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet, you would just be on a keto diet. No big deal though, both have it's merit. I say keep what you are doing if you are still having good results.

If you aren't doing carb ups, then you probably are somewhat flat looking. A carb day will definitely make a difference as to filling out your muscles, because you reload your glycogen stores in the muscle.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.24%

Quote Originally Posted by fishone1 View Post
    So I've been doing a ckd diet for a while now... but I'm kinda curious about carb cycling, however even though I've been searching through AM's threads I cant seem to find a thread specifically about this. I understand two things.

1. ckd uses ffa's for energy. and no carbs. good results. - Wrong
    2. carb cycling uses carbs, once depleted u start, if you're lucky to use ffa's for energy. I also understand that there are three days hi med low carb days. this is so your metabolic rate stays high and cant predict. - Wrong

I want to lose weight, I'm doing a great job on my ckd, but I also want better gains in the gym and I was hoping that eating carbs would help with recorvery and with my muscles growing bigger part.

as long as I'm in a cal deficit I should be fine right? carbs will just further my gains in lbm verus the gains I'm getting from ckd...correct? remember I want to lose fat, I don't care about how much the scale says I weigh.

what are your opinions on the diets, which is your favorite, why?
    CKD stands for cyclic ketogenic diet, you do use carb loads in this diet and they are a beneficial and essential part of the program working to it's full extent. Carb loads help create growth in the muscles and restore glycogen levels.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.41%

Okay, So I have been carb cycling. I understand that now. let me be more specific with my quesiton

right now I eat carbs on the weekends. saturday ultra clean and sunday is basically whatever...but in moderation, and mostly low-medium fats on sunday.

What I was thinking was this.

mon tues wed >30g net carb
    thurs- carb refeed 250g carb low fat
    fri sat >30g net carb
    sun carb refeed 300g carb med fat .

my question is would this type of CKD diet, be better than the one I'm doing now, since I am already cycling....

currently
    sat, at least 250g carb
    sun at least 350gcarb
    mon-fri >30g net carb

Thats what I meant when I said should I go into carb cycling, forgive my naiiveity. which one of these plans would work better for the above mentioned goal of fat loss, while increasing my lbm gains. remember screw the scale I don't care about that.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.24%

If you were to refeed on thursday every week you wouldn't be doing a CKD diet, you would be doing a carb cycling diet. Keeping the carb loads to the weekends in my experience has led to more fat loss and more LBM gains. You get the benefit of going into a deeper state of ketosis, where the brain utilizes more and more ketones and the benefit of the carb load on the weekends.

I'm a big proponent of doing CKD diets, worked the best for me out of any diet.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    5'9"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I;ve done them all but best diets have been Ultimate diet 2.0 and my current which is:

250-300c 400+p 50f Mon/Wens/Fri with carb cutoff at 6ish

100c 400+p 100f Tues/Thurs/Sun - 50g in the am, other 50g come from greens throughout the day.

Sat honestly depends on feel and situation
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.83%

400+ protein? seriously? I'm still fairly new to the CKD and trying to find the best setup for myself, but that seems dangerously, if not counter-productively, high.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.24%

CKD and the UD2.0 are very different in nature.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i personally enjoy the carb cycling method.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  168 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.56%

Quote Originally Posted by bxxpeace View Post
    400+ protein? seriously? I'm still fairly new to the CKD and trying to find the best setup for myself, but that seems dangerously, if not counter-productively, high.
    I agree 400g in one day is pretty counterproductive. Your probably ****ting most of it out.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.41%

carb cycling all the way!!

Similar Forum Threads

1. carb cycling / carb loading
    By AndreAnabolic in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 03:46 AM