New to CKD, is this right?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%

New to CKD, is this right?

Still in my first week, but not sure if I'm on or not. Found lots of articles on CKD, but not many many examples. Below is a typical day for me. Any feedback welcome.

Also, are cucumbers ok? I like to munch them with some homemade Italian dressing. How about cottage cheese. Cant stand the stuff, but everyone says its good for you. How about salted cashews?

Wake:
    couple hard boiled eggs
    pre W/O
    1 scop NO Shotgun

PWO
    2 scoops ON whey

Snack:
    Some natty PB

Lunch:
    Deli turkey/chicken, or tuna or egg salad

Snack
    some cheese, or another shake

Dinner:
    steak or cheese burger no bun, or grilled/sauteed chicken with green veggie

pre bed
    1 scoop ON casein

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Your diet from my guessing isn't more than 1500 kcals a day. first you should know what your minimum daily caloric needs should be.
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ enter in your info then you will get what your body needs a day without you getting out of bed.

after you get that number find your activity level here, and do the math to find out how many calories you need TDCN to maintain your current weight:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Once you get your final number then you can take between 500-1000 away from that and that will put in a calorie deficit that will help you lose weight. by taking out 500kcals from your TDCN you WILL lose one pound a week. 1000kcals -2lbs a week. You should not go below 1000 deficit, because then your body will burn your muscle for the extra energy it needs that you are not supplying.

Remember as part of your CKD you don't need that much protein 1g-2g per pound a day. and then you need to make up the rest of the kcals you need from fats. it seems like you are mainly eating all protein. add in some healthy fats. Olive oil, grapeseed oil, nuts, fish oils, more cheese or peanut butter.

you need to eat more.

cucumbers are okay, but it all has carbohydrates in them. if you want to eat a veggie in bulk go with organic spinach 0 net carbs per serving, or some broccoli here and there.

No cottage cheese look at the ingredients, it has almost 15g of carbs per serving (1/2 cup).

Cashews are okay. Personally I find pecans and almonds taste better imo, and they have less net carbs in them.

Heres a link to the plan I've been doing for a month, even though I never update it, I still follow it.
    Gonna do it! Second time trying...But this time I have AM and a plan!

and some advice, the mirror and pictures are the best way to tell you are losing weight, if you are working out and weight training the scale might not move that much. Don't get discouraged muscle weighs more than fat.

hope this helps.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%

Thanks man, appreciate the info. I did one of those calcs a few weeks ago, and my base cal needs were around 2k per day, not including training. I was worried I had too much protein and not enough fats, but not sure how to get those fats in. Do you do shots of olive oil? lol. the PB has I think 7g of carbs per serving, so i didnt want to eat too much of it, but am at a loss on the fats deal.

Also I'm not too big on almonds, but I'll give the pecans a shot. (i live in GA, and I think we're required by law to like them )

Went to those links you posted, and total cals needed, including exercise is about 2850. I'm shooting for 2 pounds a week actually, so that's right on with my goal. So looks like I need about 1800 cals a day. I was using the diet tracker here on AM, but some of the values seemed WAY off. I was adding a lot of custom entries, so I'll have to pick that up again to really track what I'm eating.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.16%

Benj covered alot of the bases on how to help you with your ckd. I'd like to add in that if you are taking in 1g protein per lb. lean body mass you will be fine.

I had the same problem as you, too much protein and not enough fats. Alot of people on CKD-style diets do drink EVOO straight. Almond butter is also great to eat. Get the fattier ground hamburger and throw cheese and bacon on it. Something great I tried for the first time this weekend...at the Albertson's grocery store here, they have hamburger meat with bacon and cheese mixed in it. If interested just go back to the Meat Dept. and ask the guy at the counter.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Are you going to log this?
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%

I forgot about the almond butter...bought some about a month ago, and I think its still sitting unopened in my kitchen closet. I'll break that out tomorrow. Should also note I take 4 super omega 3 fish oil caps a day. (from Life Extension), plus a green tea extract.

I'm in the SE, so we dont have albertsons, but I've always believed bacon can be put on anything (bacon ice cream anyone?), so I'll start up on that chzburger and bacon deal this weekend.

Didnt plan on logging it on the forums, but was hoping I could get the time to track the diet on the diet tracker.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.66%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nevermore507 View Post
    Thanks man, appreciate the info. I did one of those calcs a few weeks ago, and my base cal needs were around 2k per day, not including training. I was worried I had too much protein and not enough fats, but not sure how to get those fats in. Do you do shots of olive oil? lol. the PB has I think 7g of carbs per serving, so i didnt want to eat too much of it, but am at a loss on the fats deal.

Also I'm not too big on almonds, but I'll give the pecans a shot. (i live in GA, and I think we're required by law to like them )

Went to those links you posted, and total cals needed, including exercise is about 2850. I'm shooting for 2 pounds a week actually, so that's right on with my goal. So looks like I need about 1800 cals a day. I was using the diet tracker here on AM, but some of the values seemed WAY off. I was adding a lot of custom entries, so I'll have to pick that up again to really track what I'm eating.

First off, what is your target weight you are trying to get to? How much time do you want it to take to get there? What was your diet like before you started this one and how many daily calories? Reason I ask is 2 fold. 1) If you dropped 1000 calories/day from what you were consuming immediately, you will burn more muscle mass than you want. If I understand CKD well enough, just the change in diet alone will trigger some good responses provided you aren't in a calorie surplus. You could probably start at the same maintenence calories you were at to get your body accustomed to the type of diet. Then when you hit a plateau, you can gradually lower them in 2-500 cal increments until you stop losing, then lower them again. Which brings me to point 2) You are a decent size guy. If you are starting at 1800, when you stall, you are going to want to lower cal total. You shouldn't be lower than 1800 or 1500 at most. Unless you were stepping on stage dry and shredded. You haven't given yourself any progression room in the reducing calories part of this equation. If the numbers you ran say cal requirements are 2800, I would probably start there, maybe 2500, with the new type of diet, and see how your body responds. Then you have given yourself enough calories that you can slowly lower them when you need to. If you drop really low out of the gate, your body will adapt, and stop burning eventually.
    Otherwise, I think you are on the right track, like the others said. You have to be carefull of all the hidden carbs in stuff to get in to keto. It might not take many to keep you out of full keto and keep you from benefiting the most.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%

Young, I guess some of that info may have helped

My stats are a little different than listed, (about 207#'s). Looking to get down around 190ish. I have a decent size gut, and am looking to drop a lot of that, and just have a little more definition. Been lifting for over a year, but over the last 3-4 months have gone from 3-4 lifting sessions a week to 5-6 a week, (splits)

My diet has been kinda low carb for a while now, but not at this extreme for over a year. (Did a version of the TNT diet form men's health about a year and a half ago) I havent had a bowl of pasta, or white bread/rice in over a year. Before starting this deal, it was mostly meats/green veggies and shakes. Stay away form soda, or any sugar product, except some sugar in my coffee. Just cant get into the splenda deal