HOW TO STOP KETOSIS?

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
ok i'm finishing up my CKD in two weeks. i'm carbing up this weekend and planning to go two weeks without a carb-up to finish it off. is this ok to do at the end? also, when I finish at the end of the second week do you guys think I should carb up before I start bulking? i'm planning to do a fairly clean bulk up to about 185 or so. help is appreciated. you guys are awesome on here.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I'm definitely no expert on this, so take it with a grain of salt. I've been reading a bit on keto diets recently and was reading some on Atkins stuff. It may apply or not, but in his regimen, after you get to your target weight, you should go in to the maintenance phase. He basically recommends slowly introducing carbs back into your regular diet so there isn't a big rebound. Now being a bodybuilder vs fat lazy slob, I realize there are differences in how you would utilize a typical keto diet. And the reason for the weekend carb-up is to have a big rebound, so I don't know if the same principle would apply. Could you just continue the same regimen, but increase your calories accordingly? I think it has been recommended to go from a cut to a lean bulk, to add a couple hundred extra cals a week until reach reach your new calorie requirements to bulk, rather than going from cal deficit to a 1000 cal surplus. I'm interested in some more experienced responses myself, since I am starting to cut and will probably switch to a ckd as I start to get leaner in order to finish it off.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Eat carbs.

(I should get paid for this...)

Yes, you DON'T need a cyclic-refeed-style carb-up to end your CKD; probably best if you *don't*; but to skip a regular re-feed with another week to go is not really a good idea (can't imagine why you'd want to).

Likewise, if you're moving straight into a bulk, you'll *have* to have some degree of carb reload in order to move the weights that bulking demands.

This is not really the point to try & get fussy or finicky: just give yourself 3-5 days of eating 40/40/20 before you begin your new workout plan (you DO have a different workout plan for your bulk, yes?), and you ought to be fine.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the responses, i'm down about 8 lbs and i figured that a two week no carb session for the end would let me lose a good bit of fat to finish it off. should i not do this? i'll be sure to slow-ishly introduce carbs back into my diet up to a 40/40/20 ratio to start my clean bulk. so the two week no carb up is a bad idea??

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
The purpose of the re-feed is to replenish glycogen in the muscles; without it, your workouts will fall off dramatically in intensity...and it's your workouts that are driving your fat-loss & feeding the fat-BURNING fires of ketosis. By skipping that last week's refeed, you're *minimizing* your fat-loss in that final week, IMO.

Once you're done, you don't need to "ease into" 40/40/20 - what you need to do is keep control over your calories, and don't bump them until you begin your bulk W/Os.

This is based on my readings & conversations w/ others including Lyle (10 years ago), and my own TKD / CKD experience, but I won't pretend it's the last word - maybe some other bros will chime in on this.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
how long can you stay on ckd? ive been on it for awhile but im nowhere near my target goals. good thread, i hadnt even thought of what to do when im finishing or when i reach my goals.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to agree with bodywizard. The most important thing to control is the adjustment in your calories. I wouldn't add more than 300-500cal back into your diet per week. It's really about making small adjustments, watching the scale, and watching your body. Adjust according to what you need.

My plan is to keep my current level of proteins and fats when i start to re-introduce carbs back into my diet. I will eventually get to a level where I have a 1:1 calorie ratio of protein and carbs. From there....i'll more than likely just eat carbs as needed. Somedays I may eat 50g of carbs, somedays I may eat 300g of carbs. It will all depend on how i'm feeling and what I need.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
ok then, i'll do the usual refeed this week and enjoy a few weeks of my summer before i start bulking. i'm getting depressed now though. when i started I lost weight pretty fast (5lbs in two weeks of pure fat) now though i'm like stuck. anybody else have this happen? i've upped my cardio and i'm taking slim xtreme also...wtf

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
ok then, i'll do the usual refeed this week and enjoy a few weeks of my summer before i start bulking. i'm getting depressed now though. when i started I lost weight pretty fast (5lbs in two weeks of pure fat) now though i'm like stuck. anybody else have this happen? i've upped my cardio and i'm taking slim xtreme also...wtf
Sounds like you need to adjust the amount of fats in your diet down. When your weight loss plateaus, this is generally what needs to happen in order to break though.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
My turn to agree w/ TheDarkHalf - your fats should only be high when you're trying to get INTO ketosis: once you're there, you need to cut your fat intake below your protein intake. Not to do so is to leave your body burning DIETARY fat, not stored-then-liberated body fat.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
I've been thinking about your situation, thought ia'd comment some more. Hope you don't mind.

If you've been doing it right so far, then you've been eating a pre-determined number of calories, intended to put you in a deficit; you've been taking sufficient protein per pound to preserve LBM & making up the difference in calories with your fat intake. You've been checking for ketones daily, you've been keeping your carbs to less than ONE OUNCE per day, total - and you've been extremely strict to take in AS FEW carbs at a time as possible.

You've been working out hard; these workouts become increasingly difficult as you approach re-feeed. You have been strict with your re-feeds, avoiding spill-over as much as possible (and avoiding HFCS!), and your ketostix have been a predictable deep purple.

You should have lost at least 2 lbs per week, and 10 - 15 per month would not be impossible. You mentioned you've lost 8 pounds so far: how long have you been on this keto diet?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
to stop ketosis, eat a bowl of froot loops. If that doesn't work, then eat another bowl and so on.. until its stopped.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
darkhalf & wizard i think that's been my problem. i had no problem getting into ketosis for the first couple weeks and once i was in I usually just ate the same any ways instead of lowering fat and increasing protein. what's frustrating me now though is that it's EXTREMELY hard for me to get into ketosis. for example i did a 36 hour carb up 1/2 of this past friday and all day saturday. sunday I did 40mins moderate intensity cardio with some abs to get a jump start on depleting my glycogen. monday i did a strenuous chest/back workout (i even repped 185 3 times!! and usually can't do that when i'm on carbs) and 30 mins of cardio + played some basketball. when i pissed on the keto stix it showed I was negative. yesterday I did my leg/shoulder workout with more cardio and was showing "trace" ketones in my urine at night then when i woke up this morning it was negative again. all i've been eating is ground beef, steaks, broccoli here and there, cheese, whole eggs, occasional peanut butter, walnuts, and isopure no carb protein after my workouts.

sorry for seeming like i'm whining but it's just pissing me off. today i woke up, saw trace ketones on the strip went to the gym and did some bi's/tri's and then HIIT. i turned up negative again so now i'm eating a bagel and drinking a **** ton of water while i figure out what i'm going to do. sorry guys...i think i just crashed and burned :684:

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
darkhalf & wizard i think that's been my problem. i had no problem getting into ketosis for the first couple weeks and once i was in I usually just ate the same any ways instead of lowering fat and increasing protein. what's frustrating me now though is that it's EXTREMELY hard for me to get into ketosis. for example i did a 36 hour carb up 1/2 of this past friday and all day saturday. sunday I did 40mins moderate intensity cardio with some abs to get a jump start on depleting my glycogen. monday i did a strenuous chest/back workout (i even repped 185 3 times!! and usually can't do that when i'm on carbs) and 30 mins of cardio + played some basketball. when i pissed on the keto stix it showed I was negative. yesterday I did my leg/shoulder workout with more cardio and was showing "trace" ketones in my urine at night then when i woke up this morning it was negative again. all i've been eating is ground beef, steaks, broccoli here and there, cheese, whole eggs, occasional peanut butter, walnuts, and isopure no carb protein after my workouts.

sorry for seeming like i'm whining but it's just pissing me off. today i woke up, saw trace ketones on the strip went to the gym and did some bi's/tri's and then HIIT. i turned up negative again so now i'm eating a bagel and drinking a **** ton of water while i figure out what i'm going to do. sorry guys...i think i just crashed and burned :684:
First of all, when you lower your fats you do not increase your protein. Your protein for a keto diet should be 1.5g per pound of LBM, not total body weight. Keep the protein the consistent throughout the diet. As for the keto sticks, I don't use them. You're only going to be pissing out the energy your body doesn't need, so if you're using a lot of energy you're not going to be pissing out very many ketone bodies. Generally, it takes me anywhere between 3-4 days to get into ketosis.

As long as you're dieting prefectly (avoiding all carbs besides those that occur in natural peanut butter, nuts, and green veggies), training your ass off, and putting in the time on the cardio then full steam ahead.

You know how I tell that I am keto? No more brain fog from lack of carbs.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
i've never had brain fog from trying to get into ketosis except for the very first week. my pee doesn't smell like ass, and neither does my breath. either way i think i'm going to take a break from the diet as I have a GI doctor meeting the second week of june. (hiaital hernia) i will probably start back up after that maybe. thanks for all your help guys & good luck with the rest of your cut p00ndawg

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
The test strips can test negative depending on a few things, over drinking water can cause a test to test negative.