Low GI Diet anyone?

fitnessgoal

Awards
Is anyone doing a low glycemix diet to lose weight or does everyone do keto? I ask because my uncle is a nutritionist and he says that the atkins or anabolic diet does not help at all with overall health.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The thing about diets like atkins, is yes they are not good for your overall health in the long term, but for short periods are fine and work well, BUT... the atkins is not sustainable. It's good for losing weight fast, but you'll gain it back unless you make a lifestyle change with your diet. I personally am a huge fan of the Zone and paleo. I believe it too be about the best you can eat and one is able to customize to their goals i.e. weightless or bulking and is a def in the performance department. For some good info on diet and the Zone check out these 2 links...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/114810-zone-meal-week.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/92572-fuel-talk-pt.html

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Hey CC, I think you nailed it. I've been keto since Easter and plan on a few more weeks when I will switch over to a low-GI type diet. Actually the same diet but with low GI carbs.

rrm

Awards
Hey CC, I think you nailed it. I've been keto since Easter and plan on a few more weeks when I will switch over to a low-GI type diet. Actually the same diet but with low GI carbs.
would you have carbs all day or in the morning or after training or what?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I think I'm going to do complex carbs with my first meal and post w/o. Nothing crazy, maybe start w/a half cup of oats and adjust from there, gradually.

rrm

Awards
I think I'm going to do complex carbs with my first meal and post w/o. Nothing crazy, maybe start w/a half cup of oats and adjust from there, gradually.
sounds like a good idea. would u eat fruits ever?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I don't care for fruit but if I did, I would eat them sparingly.

UKStrength

The thing about diets like atkins, is yes they are not good for your overall health in the long term, but for short periods are fine and work well, BUT... the atkins is not sustainable. It's good for losing weight fast, but you'll gain it back unless you make a lifestyle change with your diet. I personally am a huge fan of the Zone and paleo. I believe it too be about the best you can eat and one is able to customize to their goals i.e. weightless or bulking and is a def in the performance department. For some good info on diet and the Zone check out these 2 links...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/recipes/114810-zone-meal-week.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/92572-fuel-talk-pt.html
:goodpost: mate, you hit it right on the head. When it comes to diets/nutrition programs I always stress the 'lesser of the two evils' paradigm.

If you're overweight/obese this is far more damaging to your health and prospective health than any dietary protocol you could follow (e.g. Atkins).

I'd be happy for a client who was severely overwieight to follow the atkins diet short-term, if it was agreed that we'd transition to a more 'balanced' regime in the near future.

No food/macronutrient is the enemy, as is often claimed amongst certain nutrition groups (carbohydrates, all fats, saturated fat, fructose etc.) you need all of them for optimal health but getting the balance is an individual assessment process, there will never be a 'one size fits all' diet.

sounds like a good idea. would u eat fruits ever?
Fruits are an excellent source of fibre, micronutrients and carbohydrates (slow-digesting). I believe and advocate that they should, in combination with leafy/cruciferous vegetables, make up the proportion of your carbohydrate intake for the remainder of the day outside the pre and post-training windows.

would you have carbs all day or in the morning or after training or what?
I have carbohydrates all-day long, restricting the source to fruits and leafy/cruciferous vegetables outside of breakfast and around training is a good approach to keeping insulin at bay.

rrm

Awards
:goodpost: mate, you hit it right on the head. When it comes to diets/nutrition programs I always stress the 'lesser of the two evils' paradigm.

If you're overweight/obese this is far more damaging to your health and prospective health than any dietary protocol you could follow (e.g. Atkins).

I'd be happy for a client who was severely overwieight to follow the atkins diet short-term, if it was agreed that we'd transition to a more 'balanced' regime in the near future.

No food/macronutrient is the enemy, as is often claimed amongst certain nutrition groups (carbohydrates, all fats, saturated fat, fructose etc.) you need all of them for optimal health but getting the balance is an individual assessment process, there will never be a 'one size fits all' diet.

Fruits are an excellent source of fibre, micronutrients and carbohydrates (slow-digesting). I believe and advocate that they should, in combination with leafy/cruciferous vegetables, make up the proportion of your carbohydrate intake for the remainder of the day outside the pre and post-training windows.

I have carbohydrates all-day long, restricting the source to fruits and leafy/cruciferous vegetables outside of breakfast and around training is a good approach to keeping insulin at bay.
Sorry im confused with the fruit. So you would have it all day or just morning and post workout?

UKStrength

Sorry im confused with the fruit. So you would have it all day or just morning and post workout?
I would personally eat it all day along with vegetables except pre/during/post workout. Fruits with a very low glycaemic load are best: grapefruit and citrus fruits, berries, apples, pears, cherries.