Too much protein make you gain weight?

lift or die

Awards
I know a guy that takes like a 5-6 shakes a day and he can never get himself cut up. I was wondering if one takes alot of protein shakes does is make it more difficult for them to lose weight?

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I know that I do 5 shakes a day, along with 3 meals of meat totalling 275g of protein a day and I'm losing weight, and still gaining muscle. but then again I'm 280 pounds. basically if they aren't working out I believe the proper ratio is 1g to every kilo of lbm. pound to kilo = 2.2lb=1 kilo...i've heard people doing up to 2.5g of day to their lbm tho. so I'm not 100% sure, all I know is 275g and I'm still doing great!

lift or die

Awards
I know that I do 5 shakes a day, along with 3 meals of meat totalling 275g of protein a day and I'm losing weight, and still gaining muscle. but then again I'm 280 pounds. basically if they aren't working out I believe the proper ratio is 1g to every kilo of lbm. pound to kilo = 2.2lb=1 kilo...i've heard people doing up to 2.5g of day to their lbm tho. so I'm not 100% sure, all I know is 275g and I'm still doing great!
k man thanks... i take about three shakes a day equally about 180 grams of protein and than i make sure i pick up my other protein throughout my diet. i am just in a cutting stage and didnt know if this was hurting my chances of get cut.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I'm in a calorie deficit so I could be considered cutting. But at the same time I'm trying to convert the fat to muscle, so I could be recomping... best bet try 1-1.5g of protein a day

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I'm in a calorie deficit so I could be considered cutting. But at the same time I'm trying to convert the fat to muscle, so I could be recomping... best bet try 1-1.5g of protein a day
That's impossible.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Surplus calories in vs expending calories out = weight gain, that's period!

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
Agree with the calories, but I think whole foods are better on a cut, your body doesnt have to work as hard to digest the shake, where as whole foods stoke the metabolism (clean whole foods). I never had any success cutting until i started removing most of my shakes and replacing with whole foods. There are alot of variables though ( genetics, BMR etc..)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Agree with the calories, but I think whole foods are better on a cut, your body doesnt have to work as hard to digest the shake, where as whole foods stoke the metabolism (clean whole foods). I never had any success cutting until i started removing most of my shakes and replacing with whole foods. There are alot of variables though ( genetics, BMR etc..)
Yeah I agree with this, plus your body can only digest and use so much protein at once. If you take in a lot, make sure it's a blend, or slow release protein, or else too much at once could get stored as fat. It will just get converted to glucose and then fat.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Surplus calories in vs expending calories out = weight gain, that's period!
do you want to gain muscle or fat?
I don't believe in genetics, but yes, there is no substitute for whole/healthy/clean foods

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL1haPisd7I&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]
genetics...good one

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
do you want to gain muscle or fat?

I don't believe in genetics, but yes, there is no substitute for whole/healthy/clean foods
Yeah, I didn't know what he wanted to gain; he just asked if eating to much will cause a person to gain weight...

taking more in than expending causes weight gain...I suppose that's what he was looking for, just a basic answer to his question. Other than that, I have no clue why he posed the question.

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I didn't know what he wanted to gain; he just asked if eating to much will cause a person to gain weight...

taking more in than expending causes weight gain...I suppose that's what he was looking for, just a basic answer to his question. Other than that, I have no clue why he posed the question.
:dunno:....:sleeping:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AntM1564 Anabolics 17
Jeff5886 Weight Loss 49
Nutrition / Health 51
Nutrition / Health 10
Training Forum 34