Does the body burn fat more effectively during low impact cardio?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by close grip View Post
    if jogging and running are so effective......why do you see these folks and they usually look depleted and flat with no muscles......I have heard that many bodybuilders including Dorian Yates, Porter Cottrell, Lee Haney and Phil Hernon....to name a few.....were all big proponents of power walking and or treadmill walking at a brisk pace but not too brisk that you can't carry on a conversation.

These pundits today, all say that you must huff and puff to get ripped.

The conditioning of the bodybuilders today is aweful compared to the shredded competitors of the 80s and early to mid 90s.
    When you're there size, it is unrealistic to say that they should run because they will not be able to sustain the pace. Their V02 is on the lower side of the spectrum because they are about as anaerobic as you can get.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You have to be right at, or slightly above, a respiratory exchange ratio (RER) of 1.00 to be running on pure carbs. V02 and HR are linearly related, but the max varies from person to person (220-Age is a rough estimate of MHR).
    Interesting. How quickly will the body switch between fuel sources based on this information? Say i go into the gym and lift for 45 minutes with short rest periods keeping my heart rate elevated the whole time such that RER>=1, then i walk on the tread mill for 30 min with a RER<=.7. If the body doesn't switch sources quickly then i would imagine gluconeogenisis would occur during low intensity cardio.
    •   

3. Dorian Yates, Porter Cottrell, Lee Haney and Phil Hernon

4. Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    Interesting. How quickly will the body switch between fuel sources based on this information? Say i go into the gym and lift for 45 minutes with short rest periods keeping my heart rate elevated the whole time such that RER>=1, then i walk on the tread mill for 30 min with a RER<=.7. If the body doesn't switch sources quickly then i would imagine gluconeogenisis would occur during low intensity cardio.
    Based on this, there is already a stimulus present that is influencing glycolysis. A RER of .7 during exercise is not realistic; a RER of .85 is more realistic number. There will be GCN during the walking, but it will be a rough miz of 50/50 between fats and carbs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. I've always wondered why it has to be one or the other with cardio. I've been having great success with Lyle McDonalds Stubborn fat protocol. I do 10 minutes of HIIT (elliptical), and then about 30-40 minutes of less intense cardio, either on the elliptical or heavy bag. I do NOT do this fasted, but I also don't use the same type of pre workout supplements I do when I lift.

The rationale behind the protocol is that you use the HIIT to free up fatty acids, and the lesser intensity follow up cardio to burn those freed up fatty acids. I've used this in the past as well with very good results. I use Xtend during these sessions to hopefully stave off any cannibalism of my muscle, and I've noticed no muscle loss doing this 3 times a week.

6. no one way is perfect for every metabolism or body type... but i like the combo HIIT for 10 to 15 followed by 30-45 of standard cardio

7. I generally advocate what works best for me as I've learned over the years that my body is an ******* lol. Very stubborn and doesn't do what I want. And what Ido now is working wondedrs for ne

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Cardio on Treadmil just to burn fat?
    By East1600Plus in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 09:41 PM
  2. Cardio vs. Fat Burn
    By Rhyalus in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 12:29 AM
  3. How many calories do you burn per cardio session?
    By Chippewa in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 03:19 PM
  5. Yogurt May Help Burn Body Fat
    By bachovas in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 02:31 AM