Help on Weightloss HIIT vs LISS

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OK guys i know HIIT burns more calories and faster throughout the day. but i'm wondering what if you are just interested in burning fat. I know LISS uses calories from Fat. I know HIIT will also keep your metabolism high during the day but say your trying to maintain all your muscle and your only down to the last 3-4lbs of fat trying to slide into single digits from sub teen than would LISS make more sense?

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the thing is that when u do LISS in order to get a good fat loss u would have to do like 45-60+ mins. which would cause cortisol to release and eat ur muscles and store fat so while u will loose fat during ur LISS cortisol will kind of counter react that

on the other hand HIIT will not cause cortisol because its only 15-20 mins long but it does jack up ur growth hormones which as u know is highly anabolic towards building muscle and burning insane amounts of fatbecause it increases protein anabolism. it also "increases HSL (Hormone Sensitive Lipase) the enzyme that catalysis the hydrolysis of stored triglycerides" basicly burn stored fat as energy especially in Mid-section. Also when done early it has a great effect on metabolism for up to 16 hours or so ive heard

so LISS is more of a weight loss thing (fat/muscle) and HIIT is more specifically fat loss and retaining much more muscle than LISS

ive done my research for a month and now im going to put it into work for 2 months lets so how much i loose

good luck and train at high intensity for fat loss

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HIIT Cardio for fat loss!

OK guys i know HIIT burns more calories and faster throughout the day. but i'm wondering what if you are just interested in burning fat. I know LISS uses calories from Fat. I know HIIT will also keep your metabolism high during the day but say your trying to maintain all your muscle and your only down to the last 3-4lbs of fat trying to slide into single digits from sub teen than would LISS make more sense?
If you're trying to maintain your muscle and you're only down to the last 3-4lbs of fat, then HIIT is a far better option (and Layne's explanation below says it all).

Research has shown that the type of substrate used during cardiovascular work makes little overall difference on fat loss. This is most likely due to the fact if one relies mostly upon fat stores during cardio (i.e. low intensity cardio), the body will burn predominantly glucose at other times of the day. Likewise, if one mainly utilizes glucose for energy during cardio (i.e. high intensity cardio) the body will customarily rely on fat at other times of the day in order to spare muscle glycogen.

Training in and of itself causes the body to preferentially spare muscle glycogen and burn fat. It makes sense that one should strive to do their cardio on their 'off days' from lifting (as to not further hinder their recovery), and plan their carbohydrate intake similar to their lifting regime.

Another question that often arises regarding cardio is the argument "Low-Intensity vs High-Intensity" cardio. Many people automatically assume that low-intensity cardio is better; citing that high-intensity cardio primarily utilizes glucose (anaerobic metabolism), while low-intensity cardio primarily burns fat (aerobic metabolism).

Once again, the substrate used during cardiovascular work is not as important as the caloric deficit created by the cardiovascular work. In actuality, high-intensity cardiovascular work is superior to low-intensity cardio for several reasons

High intensity cardio has a much stronger effect on GLUT-4 translocation in muscle cells due to the increased force of muscle contraction. This means that high-intensity cardio creates a much stronger nutrient partitioning effect towards muscle tissue than low-intensity cardio.

Low periods of low-intensity exercise tend to "overtrain" the fast-twitch muscle fibers and convert the intermediate muscle fibers to slow-twitch fibers. This is not a desirable effect as the fast twitch muscle fibers are those that have the greatest chance to hypertrophy. If your body has less fast twitch fibers, then you will experience less hypertrophy from training.

The body's hormonal response to high intensity cardio is similar to the body's hormonal response to resistance training (i.e. increased insulin sensitivity, gh release, Igf-1 release, etc) without placing the same strain on the nervous system as resistance training.

High-intensity cardio causes the body to preferentially store more carbohydrates and burn more fat.

High-intensity cardiovascular exercise increases oxygen expenditure and forces the body to adapt by becoming more efficient at oxygen transport (increase in VO2 max). More efficient oxygen transport to the muscles will increase fat oxidation as fat oxidation is dependant upon the presence of oxygen.

High-intensity cardio seems to be more muscle sparing. Several studies have shown that high-intensity interval training (aka HIT) burns less calories when compared to continuous lower intensity cardio. However, the skinfold losses were greater with the HIT group than in the continuous intensity group. This means not only did the HIT group lose more fat, they also spared more muscle tissue by burning less overall calories .
I personally believe (and am an avid doer) that shorter (i.e. 20 min) high-intensity or interval sessions are better (and I generally stay between 8-10% BF all year round). Long, slow cardio burns calories, yes, but you are doing that for a long period of time. The most effective way to burn fat through cardio is to do a) Interval training (i.e. efforts), or b) do your cardio at a HIGHER intensity (i.e. just going out and running as fast as you can over a certain distance, instead of 45 minutes at a 60% HRmax). Forget about the ‘Fat Burning Zone’; the harder you work during cardio, the more fat you lose. When I first attempted to lose fat (and I still do this NOW) I did something called ‘Guerrilla Cardio’ (GC). It is tabata intervals done sprinting (instead of on a bike). All you do jog lightly for 4 minutes as a ‘warm-up’; then you do 8 x 20 seconds hard-out-as-fast-as-you-can sprints/efforts, and jog easy for 10 seconds after each one; finishing with a 4 minutes easy jog ‘cool-down’. I do GC (or variations of it; now I increase how many efforts I do, and sometimes do up to 32) 3 days a week, with a rest day between each one, as it is very hard and takes a lot out of you. If you do this, and you are doing weights and eating to lose fat, then you will most definitely see results. If you feel that you NEED to do MORE cardio, you can do brisk walks every other day, or perhaps a run (but no MORE than 30 minutes; after 30 minutes of running you are very catabolic and are likely to lose muscle, which you don’t want to happen). Skipping, stair sprinting/running, or rowing, are the next highest calorie burners after sprinting. Some people will tell you that you need to be doing 2 hours of cardio a day, or double cardio sessions, to lose fat, but as long as you are eating RIGHT, doing weights 2-4 times per week, doing cardio 3 or more times per week for 12-30 minutes per day (depending on the intensity; the higher the intensity the shorter you do it for!), and allowing your body to RECOVER (this is VERY important; if you do TOO much, then your body won’t be able to recover properly and you won’t get the results you want, since your body only adapts and gets results in the RECOVERY time!), then you will lose fat!

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what she said

Future

I use both. Depends on where my diet is. As I am low carb now I do low intensity for longer sessions to avoid burning up muscle. If I am in my carb rotation I will use HIIT more often. Both have their place and work but it depends on the person and their diet.