Carbs before bed

  1. Jag
    Jag is offline
    Registered User
    Jag's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    18894

    Carbs before bed


    i train first thing in the morning usually on an empty stomach.

    i'm just maintaining & trying to drop a little fat right now so i'm following the "golden rule" and not having any carbs 5 or 6 hours before bed.

    i usually get up at least once during the night to piss and sometimes have trouble getting back to sleep again.

    the other night after a low carb day i ate a huge bowl of oats with milk & honey right before bed and slept right through the night which is something i haven't done for a LONG time.

    my question, are carbs really that bad before bed in this situation?

    thanks for all replies.

    Jag

  2. Registered User
    scotty2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    on the pay no mind list
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Power
    715

    The problem is, carbs before bed cause an insulin spike, which will in turn, impede natural GH output.
  3. Board Supporter
    MaDmaN's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Age
    55
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    20132

    Quote Originally Posted by Jag
    i train first thing in the morning usually on an empty stomach.

    i'm just maintaining & trying to drop a little fat right now so i'm following the "golden rule" and not having any carbs 5 or 6 hours before bed.

    i usually get up at least once during the night to piss and sometimes have trouble getting back to sleep again.

    the other night after a low carb day i ate a huge bowl of oats with milk & honey right before bed and slept right through the night which is something i haven't done for a LONG time.

    my question, are carbs really that bad before bed in this situation?

    thanks for all replies.

    Jag
    Jag try CKD diet or some form of keto diet to rid yourself of that last bit of fat.Try doing some cardio, oatmeal is good as far as carbs go it does not make the insulin spike it is slow acting.Carbs before bed will tend to prevent HGH during sleep......
    •   
       

  4. ***** Vampire
    goldylight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mordor
    Posts
    840
    Rep Power
    559

    Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Carbs before bed will tend to prevent HGH during sleep......
    Does that include milk - i thought it was relatively low GI? i do 2 scoops of a protein blend 2 tablespoons of flax and 2 cups of no fat milk before bed.
  5. Jag
    Jag is offline
    Registered User
    Jag's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    18894

    Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Jag try CKD diet or some form of keto diet to rid yourself of that last bit of fat.Try doing some cardio, oatmeal is good as far as carbs go it does not make the insulin spike it is slow acting.Carbs before bed will tend to prevent HGH during sleep......

    yep, dropped weight training back to 3 days & doing 3 days of cardio & also doing a modified C.K.D. limiting carbs during the day to pre & post w/o only.

    i tend to crave carbs more then & at night before bed which is why i had the oats the other night.

    i was just under the impression that recovery, GH release and all that other good stuff happened during sleep which has confused me a bit because, as stated above, when i have protein and/or fats before bed it's always an interupted sleep whereas when i have carbs i sleep through UNinterupted.

    Jag
  6. Registered User
    Longdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,261
    Rep Power
    767

    Carbs before bed is a bad idea if you want to lose fat. I think 3 hours before bed is a good cutoff. There's no need to starve your body of carbs 6 hrs before bed, thats most of the day.

    I go to bed around 10:30, & I eat very little carbs with my 8:15 meal. I eat chicken & load up vegetables.
  7. Registered User
    pegasus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    135

    Why should it matter if you have carbs before bed or not?

    Isn't diet after all all about calories in vs calories out?

    I mean you will lose weight so long as you are in a deficit correct?

    So to me the "no carbs after 7 rule" is rather dumb in my opinion.
  8. Registered User
    Cuffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Living in Sin!
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    1229

    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus
    Why should it matter if you have carbs before bed or not?

    Isn't diet after all all about calories in vs calories out?

    I mean you will lose weight so long as you are in a deficit correct?

    So to me the "no carbs after 7 rule" is rather dumb in my opinion.
    It matters for those who are working to attain a desired result. The types of carbs (and/or calories) consumed, and when to eat them is important to those who want to get the most out of their hard work. Yes "you will lose weight so long as you are in a deficit", but what weight you lose is important. I can't think of anyone on this board who wants to be in a catabolic state and lose the lean muscle they worked so hard to put on...(well Big Pete may be the exception. He can afford to lose some lean muscle mass and pass it my way )
  9. Registered User
    pegasus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    135

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    It matters for those who are working to attain a desired result. The types of carbs (and/or calories) consumed, and when to eat them is important to those who want to get the most out of their hard work. Yes "you will lose weight so long as you are in a deficit", but what weight you lose is important. I can't think of anyone on this board who wants to be in a catabolic state and lose the lean muscle they worked so hard to put on...(well Big Pete may be the exception. He can afford to lose some lean muscle mass and pass it my way )
    I am pretty new at all this so you will have to excuse my ignorance.

    Are you saying that having carbs close to bedtime makes you catabolic?

    Probably just reading wrong but I am here to learn as much as possible.
  10. Registered User
    lionel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    28
    Posts
    61
    Rep Power
    159

    So is milk advisble for a bedtime meal cos of caesin.. or will the bad effects of carbs cancel it out?
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. carbs before bed?
    By jmma062803 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 07:53 PM
  2. Carbs before bed?
    By jmma062803 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
  3. Carbs before bed?
    By CarterMalone in forum Bulking
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 12:00 PM
  4. Carbs before bed??
    By chainsaw in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 06:37 PM
  5. carbs before bed?
    By canadian champ in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 07:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in