315lbs. to 215lbs...how do i get it done?? - AnabolicMinds.com

315lbs. to 215lbs...how do i get it done??

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  315 lbs.

315lbs. to 215lbs...how do i get it done??

alright i am gonna start off by saying i am ready to do this, i am ready to lose this weight, i am ready to get my swagga back!! that said, i am very new to this. i weigh 315lbs. i have always been a big guy however when i was younger i was very athletic.. baseball, basketball, football was my thing so im sure that had something to do with me being big but still in shape. things have changed, i am not 18 i am 30. i am still very athletic for my size but its deff time to get in shape. if anyone has any suggestions on what i should do it would be greatly appreciated..i need a diet plan, a workout plan, a supplement plan. i need to know EVERYTHING..i figure i could hire a trainer to do all this but than what would be the point of this weight loss forum when i could get the info for free?? just keepin it real..plus i dont have the money for that..ok my goal is to literally lose 100lbs. i dont care by when i just wanna lose it..thats my long term goal, short term is to just get under 300. i work 2pm-10pm. so i would need something to accomodate that schedule. wakeup times, eating times, workout times..i know this is alot to ask of all of you but again any input would be greatly appreciated..thanks...Figgs.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

On a smaller scale, I was similar to you. I was pushing 215 pounds (I'm only 5'9" with a smaller frame) and was carrying huge amounts of body fat. I needed to get back down to about 170. About 18 months ago, after looking at a vacation photo of me, I knew it was time. So, like a switch going off, I started doing cardio twice a day. Started with just incline (10 degree incline) walking on a treadmill. Kept going faster each week until it became a jog / moderate running tempo. Within three months, I had lost about 30 pounds of total body fat. I then started doing running sprint intervals three times a week (while doing more moderate cardio on the non sprint interval days) and within another two months I was down to 170. So, I lost 45 pounds in just under six months. My diet was very clean - lots of grilled chicken, turkey, lean cuts of meat, etc. I still even gave myself one cheat day per week. The hardest part is starting and sticking with it during the first few weeks, but then it's a habit and you'll be enjoying the results you see. Good luck!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  315 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by n5605r View Post
    On a smaller scale, I was similar to you. I was pushing 215 pounds (I'm only 5'9" with a smaller frame) and was carrying huge amounts of body fat. I needed to get back down to about 170. About 18 months ago, after looking at a vacation photo of me, I knew it was time. So, like a switch going off, I started doing cardio twice a day. Started with just incline (10 degree incline) walking on a treadmill. Kept going faster each week until it became a jog / moderate running tempo. Within three months, I had lost about 30 pounds of total body fat. I then started doing running sprint intervals three times a week (while doing more moderate cardio on the non sprint interval days) and within another two months I was down to 170. So, I lost 45 pounds in just under six months. My diet was very clean - lots of grilled chicken, turkey, lean cuts of meat, etc. I still even gave myself one cheat day per week. The hardest part is starting and sticking with it during the first few weeks, but then it's a habit and you'll be enjoying the results you see. Good luck!
    thanks man..also i am 5'11..what would be a good calorie intake?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  293 lbs.

I was at 354 6 months ago and 335 2 months ago and am currently at 303. I'm shedding at least another 50 before I'm done. There are a lot of gimmicks but I would only offer some advice because I'm not sure the gimmicks work:

Choose a diet where you like the foodgroups and that's a reasonable fit for your lifestyle. Diet is priority 1, everything else is secondary, and ultimately you're not going to get around eating fewer calories than you were before.

Do a lot of cardio. I would advise walking, an elliptical machine, or the exercise bike; jogging at 315 on a 5'11" frame would be hard on your joints and make you prone to injury.

Hard lifting will probably not help you lose weight.

Lots of water for appetite control and consistent weigh ins.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.

Awsome job 560! Yeah OP, just take small steps at a time.

1. Start by cleaning up your diet. Watch those carbs! Start eating 6-8 small meals a day, again smaller than the average meal. Incorporate lots chicken, fish, lean meat, extra lean burger, veggies, and proteins. If you consume carbs, keep them earlier in the day, say not after lunch. Get that metabolism moving at a higher rate with smaller meals more frequent.

2. Water, water, water! Start flushing the system. Try to consume at least a gallon of water a day.

3. Sleep! Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

4. Exercise, like 560 said, start slow and easy. Incline on the treadmill, walk, for 30 minutes. Over time, you can slowly increase the intensity of you cardio.
    Start lifting weights. Again, slow and easy. I'm not sure what your schedule is like, "how many days a week you can lift", but try to hit each body part a week. Maybe 3 full body splits. Or break it up, search around you will find tons of workout routines. I would suggest lighter weight, higher reps. Like 3-4 sets at 15-18 reps.

Again like 560 said, allow yourself a treat once a week, have some pizza, a burger, some ice cream. For gods sake, we would all go nuts if it wasn't for our cheats.

Most of all, keep your head up man! It's an uphill battle, but it is 100% worth it! Good luck!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  315 lbs.

thanks alot man..i appreciate it. what about a basic fat burner or eca stack??
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by figgs0798 View Post
    thanks alot man..i appreciate it. what about a basic fat burner or eca stack??
    I would save it until the weight loss starts to slow. You will be amazed at how much you can lose naturally at first.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  315 lbs.

how many calories should i take in a day? i'm sorry that i have so many questions but the more input the more motivation..
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    Use this then find the multiplier for you activity level
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

There's lots of calorie calculators floating around on the web that will help you determine that. The key right now is to utilize more calories through your cardio and workouts than you are taking in. I know for me I tried keeping my calories at around 1,800 per day. If you go to low on the calories, your body will actually try to conserve some fat as a defense, so don't go crazy low. Truthfully, let common sense be your guide - eat five or six smaller meals per day and listen to that voice in your head - if it's saying you probably shouldn't be eating something, then don't. Also, I never did any real carb restrictions as I needed the energy. I am not saying the low carb diet doesn't work, I am just putting it out there that I lost 45 pounds in six months with a basic clean diet and solid cardio and that in my opinion is all you need. No fat burners, or odd diet plans. Looks like you're getting lots of good tips from everyone, so now set your goals, come up with a plan that feels right for you and get going! Keep us posted.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  315 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by n5605r View Post
    There's lots of calorie calculators floating around on the web that will help you determine that. The key right now is to utilize more calories through your cardio and workouts than you are taking in. I know for me I tried keeping my calories at around 1,800 per day. If you go to low on the calories, your body will actually try to conserve some fat as a defense, so don't go crazy low. Truthfully, let common sense be your guide - eat five or six smaller meals per day and listen to that voice in your head - if it's saying you probably shouldn't be eating something, then don't. Also, I never did any real carb restrictions as I needed the energy. I am not saying the low carb diet doesn't work, I am just putting it out there that I lost 45 pounds in six months with a basic clean diet and solid cardio and that in my opinion is all you need. No fat burners, or odd diet plans. Looks like you're getting lots of good tips from everyone, so now set your goals, come up with a plan that feels right for you and get going! Keep us posted.
    thanks man i was looking and around 2700 should be sufficent enough, do u think a little lower?? maybe 2550, is it that big of a difference?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  293 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by figgs0798 View Post
    thanks man i was looking and around 2700 should be sufficent enough, do u think a little lower?? maybe 2550, is it that big of a difference?
    At your likely BF level, I'd shoot for 750 less than whatever your maintainence level is, and then another 500 or so at the gym. I'm a bit of a foodie, so I am only at a 250 caloric deficit, but am making up for it with an hour of cardio per day. You'll lose mass at this rate, but I gather that mass isn't your primary concer.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  315 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK5386 View Post
    At your likely BF level, I'd shoot for 750 less than whatever your maintainence level is, and then another 500 or so at the gym. I'm a bit of a foodie, so I am only at a 250 caloric deficit, but am making up for it with an hour of cardio per day. You'll lose mass at this rate, but I gather that mass isn't your primary concer.
    nah at this point all im worried about is turning all this fat into muscle..i just wanna cut, mass will come later.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 01:33 PM