Goodbye Hydroxycut.....

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
"Katz said it has taken so long to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because the cases of liver damage were rare and the FDA has no authority to review supplements before they’re marketed."

Sounds like more pushing for FDA umbrella over supplements. I hope that day never comes.

SureFire26

SureFire26

Awards
I wonder if they will recall MAP's Arson too...
The FDA list doesn't include it, but its the same product as hydroxycut hardcore. I have an old bottle of it somewhere that I never opened.

L3THAL DOSE

Awards
i just read that and they said that the ingredient hydroxycitric acid may be the cause of the liver damage, i just bought some hydroxycut hardcore because ive heard good things about it and it doesnt have the hydroxycitric acid in it so until i see some side effects im gonna take the hardcore just not the regular hydroxycut

SureFire26

SureFire26

Awards
i just read that and they said that the ingredient hydroxycitric acid may be the cause of the liver damage, i just bought some hydroxycut hardcore because ive heard good things about it and it doesnt have the hydroxycitric acid in it so until i see some side effects im gonna take the hardcore just not the regular hydroxycut
Hmm... I don't know though. They make up names for the ingredients. For example compare MAP's Arson and Hydroxycut Hardcore. The ingredient names are different but are basically the same thing, or are the same thing.
Also in the link
http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/hydroxycut050109.html

they recall hardcore too.
Do what you do though man. I've taken a few bottles with no problems in the past. Never met anyone with problems from it.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I bet Dexter Jackson will not regain his MR Olympia title this year.... no more hydroxycut for the Blade

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
IMO, just the fda wanting control and access to the patent to sell the stuff.

mathis50262

mathis50262

Awards
  • Established
Then again, what 80% of us here take stuff all the time that causes undo stress on the liver.. Maybe not such a huge deal, who knows... I don't trust the FDA anyways.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
OMG - Don't get me started on the FDA

I don't trust the FDA anyways.
It goes WAY beyond untrustworthiness. They have even agreed themselves that they are incompetent (Life Extension March 2009).

How screwed up is the system where the billion dollar supplement industry can go right to market with supplements containing who knows what and don't need to be tested can and can come to market at NO COST to the manufacturer - no reviews, no trials, nothing. And are only reviewed when people like us start getting sick or dying (can you say "guinea pig").

Yet..life saving therapies that show great promise for the terminally ill take 10 years and $400 million dollars to get through the awful beauracracy that is the FDA, literally causing the smaller biotechs with the most promising approaches to be buried by the attempt, as well as the deaths of people who don't have close to 10 years to wait. Most Americans agree - if the drug proves safe and effective by Phase 2 or 2b, a terminally ill patient should have the choice to take the drug (provided they sign away their right to sue the drug company)...it's called HOPE.

...Thus, the FDA kills 2 (two) ways. Efficient system, wrong result.

Korben

Korben

Awards
FDA regulation to me is a double edged sword. It has positive and negative effects...

Negs: Things like Hydroxycut being pulled with 23 liver toxicity cases (after probably darn near a billionish people have taken it) I really disagree with this, unless there are some studies in pharmacotherapy journals that I am unaware of (highly doubt it). Hundreds of cases of liver toxicity cases with tylenol + ethanol have been reported, but the FDA just required them to include a small warning.

Pros: it will insure the products actually contain what they say in the proper doses. This would be great! I have had supps I know that should effect me given there caffeine content that had no effect.. I think the caffeine content was underestimate, etc.

my 2 cents...

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
its all about governmental control. this is only a small step for whats coming next. Do you realize how large of industry the supplement business is? Its completely unregulated. The government would be crazy to keep letting that go without digging into it. 10 years from now you'll need a perscription for vitamin C because some kid took a whole bottle.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
HHmmmm

Lets see..

"FDA has received 23 reports of serious health problems ranging from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes, an indicator of potential liver injury, to liver damage requiring liver transplant. One death due to liver failure has been reported to the FDA. "

23 reports.
Out of the millions of people who used it.

Again that is 23 VS XXX,000,000'S

And I'm sure that of the 23 reports recived none of the people drank in excess, had other health probs, or took other products with it.

Do these numbers really justify this kind of reaction by the FDA?

Come on.

JP.

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
its all about governmental control. this is only a small step for whats coming next. Do you realize how large of industry the supplement business is? Its completely unregulated. The government would be crazy to keep letting that go without digging into it. 10 years from now you'll need a perscription for vitamin C because some kid took a whole bottle.
I agree with you 100% bro.

JP.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Hydroxycut hardcore was the ****. Taking it for a long time and i haven't had any issues but severe caffeine withdrawals when i stopped taking it

stfdkd37

Awards
i always wanted to try arson should i not do it now???????????

SureFire26

SureFire26

Awards
i always wanted to try arson should i not do it now???????????
It's ok... IMO, there are better choices. But it's too bad, I have a full bottle just sitting around. I never had any problems/sides with either HH or arson though.