Are weight loss drugs really effective??

couponalbum

Awards
Hello,
I've heard that weight loss drugs cause kind of mess up your metabolism, so that once you go off with drugs you gain back the weight you have lost. Are they really good for people who don't only want to lose the weight, but keep it off, too?
Thanks.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hello,
I've heard that weight loss drugs cause kind of mess up your metabolism, so that once you go off with drugs you gain back the weight you have lost. Are they really good for people who don't only want to lose the weight, but keep it off, too?
Thanks.
The Best Drug for loose weight is:

Positive Attitude
Eat Lean
Exercise

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only things weight loss drugs can do is help speed up the process. The bottom line is that you have to eat right. Its pretty simple really when you get down to it, much easier than people think. The reason people put they weight back on is that they never learn to eat right, and/or dont adjust their total food intake for their new weight.

UKStrength

The Best Drug for loose weight is:

Positive Attitude
Eat Lean
Exercise
The only things weight loss drugs can do is help speed up the process. The bottom line is that you have to eat right. Its pretty simple really when you get down to it, much easier than people think. The reason people put they weight back on is that they never learn to eat right, and/or dont adjust their total food intake for their new weight.
Both these guys have hit it on the head :)

Getting your diet, training and recovery right is 99% of the battle, a stagnation or plateau in progress is usually down to one of these three things.

When you're absolutely sure you can't do more cardio, make your diet a bit 'cleaner' or possibly get your rehabilitation work any more efficient then look into fat loss supplements.

I only have experience with thermogenic compounds (I'll never try anything like DNP).

The best I've found to be is the good old ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin), it's cheap, effective and if you tolerate stimulants well, very few side effects.

There's loads of threads running on it now if you want to look into it, here's a few to get started:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/123059-save-your-money.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/124074-clen-vs-eca.html

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
IMO the problem with weight loss supplements or rather the way they are marketed is in the implied results and moreso the dynamics in which they can affect you.

Most are marketed that they work by "burning fat", i know in a vague sense this is what happens in the process i.e. fat burning hormones penertrate the fat cell freeing it up for energy etc etc, but really, can 3 pills a day enchance this process THAT much as a stand alone? IMO, no.

And this is where a lot of supplements sporting these claims become unstuck.

Realisitcally a over the counter thermogenic fat burner is going to raise your metabolic rate by a minimal amount.

Take a 'fat loss aid' supplement and combine it with a clean diet and a good cardio/resistance routine and BAM, you have true fat burning.

I said fat loss aid instead of fat burner because thats where i believe the true gold nuggets are in this market, those supplements which can help add a piece of your missing puzzle.

Case in point, i dont mind eating clean, i dont mind the intense cardio or the longer period cardio and i certainly dont mind hitting the iron, what lets me down is my appetite and the sheer amount i can and often will eat! It doesnt matter if ive been restricting my kcals for 8 weeks, i can resort back to eating 5k cals in a sitting with no adjustment time needed. So for me, my "aid" would be a supplement that can add the missing piece of my own personal puzzle - appetite supression.

rrm

Awards
IMO the problem with weight loss supplements or rather the way they are marketed is in the implied results and moreso the dynamics in which they can affect you.

Most are marketed that they work by "burning fat", i know in a vague sense this is what happens in the process i.e. fat burning hormones penertrate the fat cell freeing it up for energy etc etc, but really, can 3 pills a day enchance this process THAT much as a stand alone? IMO, no.

Realisitcally a over the counter thermogenic fat burner is going to raise your metabolic rate by a minimal amount.

Take a 'fat loss aid' supplement and combine it with a clean diet and a good cardio/resistance routine and BAM, you have true fat burning.

I said fat loss aid instead of fat burner because thats where i believe the true gold nuggets are in this market, those supplements which can help add a piece of your missing puzzle.

Case in point, i dont mind eating clean, i dont mind the intense cardio or the longer period cardio and i certainly dont mind hitting the iron, what lets me down is my appetite and the sheer amount i can and often will eat! It doesnt matter if ive been restricting my kcals for 8 weeks, i can resort back to eating 5k cals in a sitting with no adjustment time needed. So for me, my "aid" would be a supplement that can add the missing piece of my own personal puzzle - appetite supression.
exact same thing here, i can eat forever

Fear

Fear

Awards
In theory, most weight loss drugs simply curb your appetite. This is similar to drinking lots of caffeine, or taking certain kinds of medications. So it is a short term, and not very efficient solution - you need to eat well to look well. Don't mess around with your natural appetite. :)

UKStrength

In theory, most weight loss drugs simply curb your appetite. This is similar to drinking lots of caffeine, or taking certain kinds of medications. So it is a short term, and not very efficient solution - you need to eat well to look well. Don't mess around with your natural appetite. :)
The problem is, my 'natural' appetite (physiological, not psychological) is massive, if I let it get the best of me I would never be able to cut until my body adjusted to the new level of food intake.

So for me, the anorectic effects of ECA are a godsend, regardless of whether it's only short-term.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established

Good post. Pretty much need to find the missing "personal puzzle" piece. And since physiologies differ, the piece will have variation for each individual. And the first sentence of this post is especially cogent. (Pos reps, if I had any.)

Abdullah411

Awards
Weight loss drugs and getting lean

Hello,
Thanks.
Weight loss products do work. However, different products work in different ways than others. Good excercise and nutrition are of course the foundation, but that's not enough to get the average person the leanness that comes with the calories required to gain mass (if you're goal is to increase size). In order for bodybuilders to back on the pounds, even the addition of lean protein still comes with additional fat. That's where fat loss products come in. You need to use them at the right interval and intensity of training.

for general info check out the article "Aerobics and Getting Lean" on Procardnutritioncom under Chris' classroom.

javry

Awards
i used to think i had a massive appetite until i learned to discern from--my brain wanting to enjoy some food and compared to when my body is actually running out of energy. your mind is a powerful thing, its amazing how it can affect how you perform.

kingjmack

kingjmack

Awards
I took some phentermine for about 2 months to help cut back on my appetite, and it helped me out alot. I'll report back in this thread in a month or so to let you know how im doing once its gone out of my body.

Korben

Korben

Awards
As far as actual drugs that are approved for weight loss there are basically 3 in United states 2 Rx and 1 OTC

First OTC and RX: Different doses... 60 vs 120
Alli (orlistat): probably has the least significant side effects.. Which are still oily loose stools and possibly anal leakage. They actually suggest you were dark pants to hide accidents. Compared to placebo over a year you can expect to drop an additional ~10 lbs. Also, you get a nice reduction in LDL also..

Rx: These work the CNS
Phentermine: This drug is typically used short-term weight loss and is rather effect but if you do not stick to a good diet after stopping the drug you will regain the weight. Typical stim side effects.

Sibutramine: This will give you the same result as orlistat but it has some troubling side effects. Headaches, etc. One, major concern is an increase in BP and exacerbate arrhythmias!!

Also, at this time they are approx. ~350 weight loss drugs in the pipeline. I predict several will come soon working on the Endocannabinoid system (already in europe, I think), Leptin cycle, and (my favorite target) the Beta 3 Receptor(<- could change everything)!

That beening said, i can tell you that some supps have a positive affect but nothing will be effective as a hypocaloric diet with elevated protein 2g/kg IBW would be ideal. This will allow you to lay down muscle and while removing unwanted fat... Hope this helps. If you have any other questions about Rx drugs just let me know...