Help with nutrition please...

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

Question Help with nutrition please...

I searched and found lots of differing thoughts on this topic - so I thought I'd start a new thread to see if a consensus or a plan specific to me might come to be.

I'm trying to figure out what a good "plan" for me would be - as far as supplements go.

I'm 30 years old - 5' 10" and about 185 lbs and am overall happy with where my body is at the moment - but I want to get to the next level.

I don't know what my bodyfat % is - but it's certainly at an acceptable limit for me. I'd like to be a bit leaner - but I've figured out that it's entirely dependant on the choices I make at lunch/dinner. It's amazing what a plate of cheese fries can do! haha

Anyway - I train about 4 days a week and have been lifting pretty much since I was about 13. I'm trying to add some size - and I'm training pretty heavy/low reps and try to really punish the muscles that I'm training. Now - when I get home from the gym I'm drink a protein shake (I'm using GNC Mega whey - which probably isn't the greatest) but it's pretty convenient and so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also drink a shake before I go to bed and try to get lots of rest.

I've also started adding some flax seed oil to my shakes since I've seen lots of you guys using it - but I'm not sure how much I should be adding.

Anyway - sorry for the long post... but if any of you could give me a schedule/plan that could help me I'd love to hear it. I'm a newb so please be specific as I'm not too bright.

Thanks fellas!
    Jim

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Well.. if you come up with a plan on what you think it should be..
    we can help from there...
    We (the board) really want you as a member to feel comfort trying new things like making your own diet plans, with help..
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

What do you eat the rest of the day? You're only as big as you eat.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    Well.. if you come up with a plan on what you think it should be..
    we can help from there...
    We (the board) really want you as a member to feel comfort trying new things like making your own diet plans, with help..
    OK - well what I'm doing right now is this.

1 shake = 3 scoops mega whey, 2 Tsp of flax seed oil, 1 banana, 1000mg vitamin C and ice.

1 shake in the morning - approx 8am

1 shake after workout - approx 6:30 pm

1 shake before bed - around 11pm

As for my eating habits - I do a pretty good job of staying away from the carbs - so I'm not too concerned about that. My quesions involve - what would be a good recipe for my current "shakes". I know lots of people like the custom powders that I've seen advertised here - but I have zero idea what to have them include and in what percentages. So hopefully you guys can help me learn what might be a good "starter" recipe.

Are there any other supplements that I should add to it (or remove from it) to help with muscle growth and repair. Hope that makes more sense.

Thanks
    Jim
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2
    What do you eat the rest of the day? You're only as big as you eat.
    Well - I'm not on a specific diet per se.

I eat primarily proteins and try to keep the carbs down. Typical meals for me are tuna, eggs, chicken, salads, beef. I'll eat old fashioned oat meal for breakfast every couple of days with the wifey.

I do cheat a little bit - but overall I get primarily protein.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

If you want to bulk, you should be eating in the range of 3300-3500 cals/day. Way too many shakes, IMO. Diet should revolve around whole food.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Swantko
    Anyway - I train about 4 days a week and have been lifting pretty much since I was about 13. I'm trying to add some size - and I'm training pretty heavy/low reps and try to really punish the muscles that I'm training. Now - when I get home from the gym I'm drink a protein shake (I'm using GNC Mega whey - which probably isn't the greatest) but it's pretty convenient and so I thought I'd give it a try.
    Whey is perfect post wo. I take mine with 30g dextrose and 5g creatine. The sooner you drink it after a wo the better.
    I also drink a shake before I go to bed and try to get lots of rest.
    Try eating no fat cottage cheese with some skim milk. Take some flax as well.
    I've also started adding some flax seed oil to my shakes since I've seen lots of you guys using it - but I'm not sure how much I should be adding.
    I take as much flax as I can per day without exceding my fat intake goal.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

If you want to bulk, you should be eating in the range of 3300-3500 cals/day. Way too many shakes, IMO. Diet should revolve around whole food.
    OK - what do you recommend? Maybe just one post WO?

I'll give the cottage cheese a try as well.

thanks and keep 'em coming.
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I usually have a PWO shake and another pre-bed as a vehicle to wash down flax.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

I usually have a PWO shake and another pre-bed as a vehicle to wash down flax.
    How much Flax should I be taking in per day? Also what does Flax do for me? I know it's got quite a bit of protien - but is that all?

Thanks guys
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

How much Flax should I be taking in per day? Also what does Flax do for me? I know it's got quite a bit of protien - but is that all?

Thanks guys
    Update -

I've been working really hard on my diet. I've reduced the shakes to one post-workout with flax seed oil. I'm taking amino supplements as well as a multi.

I've virtually stopped eating after 6pm and I've increased my water intake dramatically.

The results I'm seeing are very encouraging. My jeans are a bit looser and overall I just feel better.

I've been training quite a bit heavier as well - and trying to keep my sleep levels high for some HGH production. So far so good.

Sorry to ramble... but I'm excited about how things are going.

Jim
  12. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Update -

I've been working really hard on my diet. I've reduced the shakes to one post-workout with flax seed oil. I'm taking amino supplements as well as a multi.

I've virtually stopped eating after 6pm and I've increased my water intake dramatically.
    Having a shake PWO with flax is probably your worst option, flax will impede the uptake of the protein. Drop the flax, go with dextrose. What time do you go to bed? No one told you not to eat before bed, just wouldn't eat carbs.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

Having a shake PWO with flax is probably your worst option, flax will impede the uptake of the protein. Drop the flax, go with dextrose. What time do you go to bed? No one told you not to eat before bed, just wouldn't eat carbs.
    Damn! haha - ok I'll give it a try.

Flax in the morning? Then dextrose with the PWO shake?

Thanks guys... hopefully I'll figure this out sooner or later.

Oh - and I meant that I am not eating carbs before bed.. since that was the hardest. Junk food has a strong pull in the evening. Now I'll eat some brocolli or tuna etc.

Jim
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.74%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Dextrose in the PWO shake. I don't like to combine fat and carbs in the same meal, so, I have a shake at night before bed with flax in it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. 1st cycle all seyt up. Help with PCT please
    By GtWrestler in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
  2. Help with diet...Please
    By C' Dale Rider13 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
  3. New to training. Need help with nutrition
    By Jegs66 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22