Full Workout in the Morning on an Empty Stomach

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Hey everyone. I had a question about cutting down some excess fat. I've been on a cut for just over a month. About 2 weeks ago I started doing my heavy training workouts in the morning without eating first.

What I usually do is take my pre-workout supplement right when I wake up, which is either Jack3d or dymatize xpand, and then 30 minutes later hit the weights. When I weight train I always warm up by jogging 2 laps, then two warm up sets of my first set.(little to no weight 20 reps first, then half starting weight 15 reps second) After around 7 or 8 workouts, with 3-4 sets each, i do about 10 minutes low intensity cardio(4.0-4.2 speed, 3.0 incline), maybe with a faster few intervals in between. Then I take creatine mono with about 100 calories worth of raisins or a quick carb, and do about 10 minutes of stretches, followed by 1 serving of Syntha 6(200 calories, 22 grams of protein). The workouts usually take about an hour and a half, so the first time I eat is about 2 hours after I wake up. I eat about an hour and a half later as well.

I do this Monday with Shoulders and Forearms, Tuesday with Chest and Tris, Thursday with Back and Bis, and Friday with Legs. I do around one ab workout each day after my main muscle groups.

All in all I get about 2200 calories a day while on this program. I also take a fat burner, was Leviathan Reloaded but now I'm switching to SlimX. (I only take one serving later in the day on workout days due to the caffeine in my pre-workout supp.)

I want to know opinions on whether this is overkill, or I'm screwing my metabolism up in some way because of this? I've always read cardio in the morning fasted for about 45 minutes is a good idea, but not much about a full 2 hour workout like mine. I'm 6'1" and about 183lbs. I appreciate all help and really am just trying to learn!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Raisins aren't that good of a choice, fructose refills liver glycogen preferentially over muscle glycogen so that part kind of sucks. Other than that, you should be fine. Maybe get some BCAA to sip on during a workout if you're that concerned.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i can only tell you from my experience that i really liked fasted weight training on a short term basis. my wo's were about 40 minutes and thats all i could take. i think your in for a mighty crash with extended wo's like that. i went 7 weeks and felt i had pushed it far enough. the fat flys off though

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Theory is against this idea i.e. training at length and with intensity on an empty stomach. And from experience id be against it also.

Back when i was uninformed i used to train fasted and the weight dropped off me, so did the lean mass i had and around 70% of my strength.

I guess what im saying is, test and measure, take it a week at a time and measure all major bodyparts also make a note of your lifts to see if they are being affected.

Think about it man, you have slept for 8 hours* without any nutrients and now your going to stress your CNS with intense activity without any fuel?

Just doesnt compute for me.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I do a fasted workout once a week on Sunday mornings, and it is usually the best one, and it is always a leg workout. Sometimes I throw in a few other things. I think this is because I don't exercise on Saturdays and often eat a little more than I should, so by Sunday morning I feel replenished and recovered.

However, I've also done the lift while fasted early morning for all workouts and over time my strength and mass started to decline.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do a fasted workout once a week on Sunday mornings, and it is usually the best one, and it is always a leg workout. Sometimes I throw in a few other things. I think this is because I don't exercise on Saturdays and often eat a little more than I should, so by Sunday morning I feel replenished and recovered.

However, I've also done the lift while fasted early morning for all workouts and over time my strength and mass started to decline.
Makes sense.

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Hmm some great opinions. I'm trying out waking up, and taking a serving of NO Shotgun, which is full of BCAAs, Arginine, and glutamine for pre workout. I'm following it up with NO SyntheSize after. I've got an as*load of these packets and a bunch of other supps to try out. So I figure BCAA's can help protect my lean mass.

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Raisins aren't that good of a choice, fructose refills liver glycogen preferentially over muscle glycogen so that part kind of sucks. Other than that, you should be fine. Maybe get some BCAA to sip on during a workout if you're that concerned.
I've heard this argument many times. However, Raisins and bananas are highest on the glycemic index, with a higher concentration of glucose. So although they aren't 100% efficient, they're better than lower GI fruits and they're 100% natural.

I remember my Biology teacher telling a story about his brother, who had diabetes, and how he passed out and had a bad episode at the doctors office one day because he had eaten a box of raisins on his way there. That seems like evidence enough for me.

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards

Hmm well today I took NO Shotgun and NO Synthesize pre intra and post workout. They're packed with BCAAs so I'm hoping using these will aid in muscle retention.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Hmm well today I took NO Shotgun and NO Synthesize pre intra and post workout. They're packed with BCAAs so I'm hoping using these will aid in muscle retention.
Sounds great. I neglected to mention in my post that I always drink my mixture of BCAA stuff intra and post WO: Xtend, bulk BCAA, bulk l-leucine, bulk citrulline malate, and bulk beta alanine. Sometimes I add 1/2 scoop of PrimaForce Carb Slam (their version of waxy maize) which is about 15g carbs. Pre-WO, about 15-30 min before WO, I take 1g vitamin C and 1 cap of SNS TTA.

I hope that helps.

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Sounds great. I neglected to mention in my post that I always drink my mixture of BCAA stuff intra and post WO: Xtend, bulk BCAA, bulk l-leucine, bulk citrulline malate, and bulk beta alanine. Sometimes I add 1/2 scoop of PrimaForce Carb Slam (their version of waxy maize) which is about 15g carbs. Pre-WO, about 15-30 min before WO, I take 1g vitamin C and 1 cap of SNS TTA.

I hope that helps.
Yeah it all looks pretty solid. Especially the TTA, I need to get some of that. Mobilizes fatty acids for burning am I right? Perfect for a fasted workout. Too bad DCP is so expensive..