A few CKD diet questions for a newbie

blitzkriegjim

Awards
I just started CKD on Monday of this past week, and by Tuesday evening, I had that feeling of "mental fuzziness", dizziness, bad breath, and had trouble sleeping at night. This is my first time trying the diet and so I guess I'm in ketosis now. I've heard the adaptation phase takes quite some time for dieters (a few weeks), but it's Thursday now and I feel like I'm mentally all there again and I have this smooth buzz of energy. I'm just wondering if this is at all normal, and how quickly one normally sees results. I feel my muscles are getting smaller, but I am unsure whether I am losing muscle mass or whether it is because of glycogen depletion. I know these are simple questions, but since I'm new to this diet and don't have experience, I don't want to be losing too much muscle mass.....

My diet consists of a lot of fish oil, flax oil, EVOO, nuts, protein shakes, and chicken breasts.

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
I just started CKD on Monday of this past week, and by Tuesday evening, I had that feeling of "mental fuzziness", dizziness, bad breath, and had trouble sleeping at night. This is my first time trying the diet and so I guess I'm in ketosis now.
No necessarily...have you been working out? If you haven't worked out, you may not be in ketosis. Aside from lowering dietary intake of carbohydrates, you must deplete liver glycogen levels.

I feel my muscles are getting smaller, but I am unsure whether I am losing muscle mass or whether it is because of glycogen depletion. I know these are simple questions, but since I'm new to this diet and don't have experience, I don't want to be losing too much muscle mass.....
Just can/should feel depleted. Remember that depleting muscle glycogen is part of the process. Ketogenic/cyclical diets are best way to shed body fat while preserving lean body mass, so you are heading in the right direction.

Keep up the hard work!

blitzkriegjim

Awards
Thanks a lot, I have been working out at a moderately high intensity coupled with quite a bit of cardio over the past week (walking mainly if that counts). I guess I should just go and buy some ketostix, but I find it odd how I have this smooth buzz of energy/almost a euphoric feeling when many people complain of lethargy. Carbs are kept below 20g a day, I probably walk close to 6-8 miles a day going to class and the gym, and I am taking in 300-500 calories below my maintenance level with a little over 1g of protein per pound of LBM. I'm not really feeling as run down as I would have expected given my activity level, amount of calories, and ditching carbs for the first time in my life. I had massive carb cravings for about a day or two and then they also went away, although not completely

avenue Red

Awards
your only suppose to feel crappy for like 3 days. you should broaden your food though so you dont get tired of the same foods quick. like hamburger and steak! bomb. also Natty Peanut Butter is excellent also for a desert with some sugar free whipped cream :)

blitzkriegjim

Awards
Thanks, will definitely give your suggestions a try. Today is carb up day for me, off to the gym here soon for the last depletion workout and then back to taking down all those carbs. Think I'll go for a 24 hour one this week and see how the body responds. Any carb up tips (timing of low GI/high GI)? I'm about to eat some fruit here soon before I go and I have my dextrose and protein shake ready for after the workout.

blitzkriegjim

Awards
Workout was great! I ate two apples about an hour beforehand. For some reason I have a lot of energy still and my lifts are the same or going up while I'm losing some scale weight. I'm also taking some CEE during this CKD diet as well. Overall, I feel great! I just feel like I'm doing something wrong because I don't see how a carb depleted diet can make anyone feel how energized and upbeat I am.......people just like being around me that much more now because I'm in a good mood and I'm more confident because I know my body is going to change for the better.....girls just seem a lot more attracted to me this week for some reason despite some nasty ass breath at times :nervous:

spiderduncan

spiderduncan

Awards
  • Established
Any carb up tips (timing of low GI/high GI)? I'm about to eat some fruit here soon before I go and I have my dextrose and protein shake ready for after the workout.
The largest determining factor revolves around total carb count. Start with simple at the beginning of your carb load and progress toward complex toward the end. Avoid too much fructose. Remember that most foods contain sucrose (table sugar) which is 50% fructose/50% dextrose.