Two cardio sessions a day toooo much?

  1. New Member
    Zips06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    82%

    Two cardio sessions a day toooo much?


    So, lately I have been getting back to the gym after dealing with some health issues and had a few questions.

    I've been trying morning cardio, which I do HIIT, which I enjoy. Now the thing is, my brother (who is in his last year of highschool) goes to the gym with me later in the day when he gets off school. So instead of only doing the morning cardio, then lifting later, I've been doing both, joining in with him on his cardio which is around 20-30mins low intensity after the workout. I've been wondering if this has been hurting me in the fat loss area seeing as that is my main concern at the moment.

    Ummm, I guess it was just the one question for now, thanks ^^.

  2. Banned
    0-hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    594
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    43.28%

    Hey man it all depends on your goals and aspirations.

    Is your goal purely to reduce the figure on the scales or fit into an old pair of jeans?

    Are you concerned about looking muscular?

    etc.
  3. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Zips06 View Post
    So, lately I have been getting back to the gym after dealing with some health issues and had a few questions.

    I've been trying morning cardio, which I do HIIT, which I enjoy. Now the thing is, my brother (who is in his last year of highschool) goes to the gym with me later in the day when he gets off school. So instead of only doing the morning cardio, then lifting later, I've been doing both, joining in with him on his cardio which is around 20-30mins low intensity after the workout. I've been wondering if this has been hurting me in the fat loss area seeing as that is my main concern at the moment.

    Ummm, I guess it was just the one question for now, thanks ^^.
    If your diet and the rest of your training are in line then I'd have to say no to that, especially if the intensity is low and fat loss is your main goal.

    Do you do your morning cardio on an empty stomach?

    If you do I'd get some BCAAs/protein in there to stave off any potential catabolism.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Zips06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    82%

    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    If your diet and the rest of your training are in line then I'd have to say no to that, especially if the intensity is low and fat loss is your main goal.

    Do you do your morning cardio on an empty stomach?

    If you do I'd get some BCAAs/protein in there to stave off any potential catabolism.
    The diet is probably not down to a 'T', but it is progressing very well. Its not like I'm eating crap food, etc like I was. Fairly clean diet with what money I have at the moment (being off work kind of took a hit to the pocket >.>)

    My main goal at the moment is to get rid of fat. I'm a heavy set guy, and to be honest I don't mind a littttttle bit of muscle loss at the moment. The numbers on a scale don't matter much to me right now.

    I've tried the morning cardio both on an empty stomach and having had a protien shake, and well...needless to say I don't get as tired as quick with the shake in me. I would pick up some BCAA's, if I really knew what BCAA's were and depending on cost.

    Thanks again.
  5. Banned
    0-hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    594
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    43.28%

    Ok if your primary goal is fat loss and not weight loss do not avoid lifting.

    1 cardio session and 1 weight training session per day is ample imo.

    Read up on HIIT cardio and BCAA's, both i feel would be beneficial to your outlined plan.
  6. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Zips06 View Post
    The diet is probably not down to a 'T', but it is progressing very well. Its not like I'm eating crap food, etc like I was. Fairly clean diet with what money I have at the moment (being off work kind of took a hit to the pocket >.>)

    My main goal at the moment is to get rid of fat. I'm a heavy set guy, and to be honest I don't mind a littttttle bit of muscle loss at the moment. The numbers on a scale don't matter much to me right now.

    I've tried the morning cardio both on an empty stomach and having had a protien shake, and well...needless to say I don't get as tired as quick with the shake in me. I would pick up some BCAA's, if I really knew what BCAA's were and depending on cost.

    Thanks again.
    No worries mate,

    Here's some information on BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) to familiarise yourself with what they are and how they affect your training:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-branched.html

    Try to make sure your cardio is very spaced out from your weight training, but make sure your lifting doesn't suffer from the excess cardio, if starts to drop cut back.
  7. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7014
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    My new set up is going to be a 20 minute jog in the mornings with countdowns from 10 before work.

    Then in the evening, after lifting planning on doing a run, and pulling some things like suicides, n such. Really I think it depends on your body type, and what you enjoy.
  8. Senior Member
    KgTomCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    1524
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Zero V...I like the new avatar. What is it?
  9. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7014
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by KgTomCat View Post
    Zero V...I like the new avatar. What is it?
    Its Deadpool, old school marvel mercenary. Wiki him lol. Apparently they are bringing him back for the new X-men Origins movie! First time being done by a live actor, they better get his personality right.
  10. New Member
    avenue Red's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    199
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

    lol sorry to go off topic but ya. hes in the wolverine movie. i saw bootleg online. its the sh*t.
  11. Board Sponsor
    WhatsaRoid?'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,428
    Rep Power
    3652
    Level
    41
    Lv. Percent
    73.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by avenue Red View Post
    lol sorry to go off topic but ya. hes in the wolverine movie. i saw bootleg online. its the sh*t.
    I hated that stupid move such bad acting but I'ma watch them all just cuz I'm a fan

    Also two a day is great but it burns me out fast, if your doing two a days and keeping a good diet you'll be ripped in no time. But once in the morning and weights at night is fine on a good diet as well and I think would work better so it depends on how your body recovers.

    For me cardio is easy so I can go hours doing cardio and still be fine the next day rather then weight train and I'm sluggish the next day so depending on what i have lined up the following day is how I choose my workout.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

    FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218
  12. Senior Member
    KgTomCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    1524
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    X-Men Origins-Wolverine is gonna be bada$$!!!!
    on the topic...I do 2 cardio sessions, 30 min interval or HIIT, then 15-45 min of moderate intensity cardio post WO. Ive tried almost every type of cardio and Ive come back to realize that if I just keep things easy and stick to the basics then Ill see results...calories in-calories out
  13. Senior Member
    KgTomCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    1524
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    first 30 min is in the AM, fasted!!!
  14. New Member
    soxfan4life's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    69
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    8%

    i think that if your goal is to lsoe weight two a days arent bad.. u just really have to be dieting good or your kind of wasting your time
  15. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7014
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan4life View Post
    i think that if your goal is to lsoe weight two a days arent bad.. u just really have to be dieting good or your kind of wasting your time
    Myself its not all about losing weight. I weigh 150. I just highly value endurance, and am a speed over power kinda guy. I try to balance it. I would be killer in some jujitsu or judo, but dont have the time
  16. New Member
    avenue Red's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    199
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    99.92%

    if you want endurance. i agree with some of the above. make sure your diet is good. writing it down on paper what you eat helps ALOT so you can see what you have eaten. also mix your cardio up. you do HIT every morning which is good. after you lift maybe do Long steady cardio and maybe the new stair master and elliptical
  17. Banned
    0-hero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    594
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    43.28%

    OT: Deadpool in the new xmen fking sucks, so does gambit

    Movie is a solid 7/10 though.

    On topic, if your going to do HIIT make sure your properly fueled, its one thing doing steady state on an empty stomach, its another thing doing balls out HIIT.
  18. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7014
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.41%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by avenue Red View Post
    if you want endurance. i agree with some of the above. make sure your diet is good. writing it down on paper what you eat helps ALOT so you can see what you have eaten. also mix your cardio up. you do HIT every morning which is good. after you lift maybe do Long steady cardio and maybe the new stair master and elliptical
    Same theory I use with weights, every 2 weeks completely change up somehow. Do suicides for 10 minutes one morning in a parking lot hitting each line....., tell HIT to take a back seat LOL. Nothing else can make me throw up. Which to me, that is when you trained hard enough ^.^ ...... side effect of having a hardcore wrestling coach back in the day. "your not puking yet, your not pushing it!" hahah......oh i miss dem days.... to be a teen again.


    If you switch up every other day cardio wise, your body will be more apt to take beating from it, and adapt and grow. Our bodies if they get into a routine are amazing, and basically find ways to work efficiently and save energy. Survival system thatss built into it.

    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-hero View Post
    OT: Deadpool in the new xmen fking sucks, so does gambit
    BLAST IT.... Deadpool is amazing, i seen a pic of a guy who has visible skin... Deadpools skin is nasty as hell, this movie is off sides! Flag! Man....depressing.
  19. New Member
    Zips06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    82%

    Thanks for all the replies, first off.
    From the looks of it, two a day isn't harmful as long as I'm not going to far and making my lifting suffer. Thanks for the link there UKS, I'll definitely be reading up on those. I suppose I'll keep it at two cardio sessions a day and see how it works over the long run ^^

    Thanks again for the info!
  20. Senior Member
    KgTomCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,883
    Rep Power
    1524
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by avenue Red View Post
    if you want endurance. i agree with some of the above. make sure your diet is good. writing it down on paper what you eat helps ALOT so you can see what you have eaten. also mix your cardio up. you do HIT every morning which is good. after you lift maybe do Long steady cardio and maybe the new stair master and elliptical
    diet is what separates the men from the boys...I agree with mixing the cardio up, Ive been doing it and loving it, I used to always do long steady cardio after I lifted, not anymore, Ill do every once in a while, but now I figure it all comes down to calories burned...I love the feeling of barely being able to walk, my whole body of fire, my lungs burning when I inhale. a good workout and a good cardio session looks good on paper and all, but when you just say fu%k it, and go balls to the wall, are covered in sweat and you know you have pushed yourself hard, nothing beats that, except for morning sex, when that test is HIGH! hahaha

    Quote Originally Posted by 0-hero View Post
    On topic, if your going to do HIIT make sure your properly fueled, its one thing doing steady state on an empty stomach, its another thing doing balls out HIIT.
    AGREED!
    but Ive started to like doing HIIT fasted, dont know why...
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. shorter cardio sessions
    By jmoney02 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 05:33 PM
  2. BIG SWOLE SESSIONS
    By Cooky32 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
  3. training 1/2 cardio sessions
    By protempsfish in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
  4. Multiple steady state 25 minute cardio sessions
    By Variocam in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in