how to prevent catabolism during weight loss?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

how to prevent catabolism during weight loss?

Hi
    I'm in a diet for a few weeks now , while working out 5 times a week
    (1 hour muscle training + half hour cardio workout).
    I'm 162lbs, and 18.4% bf.
    my BMR is ~1800 . My calorie intake is also 1800 calories per day, with 14% fat, 43% carbs, 43% protein.
    Until now I've noticed a loss of 0.7 lbs of FAT in one week, but also a 0.4lbs of lean body weight loss .
    For protein I use chicken breast, tuna, salmon fish, 0.5% fat cheese, and an egg once a day..
    also, most of my carbs are consumed from vagtiables and fruits
    and I'm not taking any supplements .
    How can I have a faster fat loss? while losing less lean body mass?
    Tx to all of you!

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

up your protein, lower carbs, bcaas
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.28%

Firstly its a lot harder to go catabolic that its made out to be imo.

Are you concerned your losing muscle? Are you losing strength?

I guess im asking, whats making you worried about this.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ambulldog View Post
    up your protein, lower carbs, bcaas
    This is all the TRUE!!!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

I don't feel like I'm losing strength, though as I mentioned , I lost about 0.7lbs of fat per week, while at the same time I also lost 0.4 of lean body mass (muscles probably) which is not so good.

And regarding eating less carbs and more proteins, I read that in order for musclels to develop you should eat the same amount of carbs and proteins (or even more carbs than proteins), that's why I don't understand why people take 3-4 grams-per-kilo of proteins (and also I read that more than 30-40 grams of proteins per meal can lead to some health problems)

Also, my ultimate goal is to have a fit body with 10-11% of bf, and not a heavyweight champion's body. Do you think having a 1800 calorie diet (to lose weight) while lifting weights and doing cardio will set me closer to my goal? or must I first eat more and grow bigger (muscle-wise) and only then lose body fat with a lower calorie diet and workout?

Tx again
  6. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.28%

Excuse me but how does the reduction of carbs help your body in NOT chosing muscle as an energy source?

Fact is man at 1800 cals a day (which does seem a bit low) very few people have what it takes to diet so strictly and do so much cardio that they lose lean mass.

Strength is an excellent indicator of lean mass whether your gaining or losing.

There are a few generic rules in play here, that apply to the average joe trainer, if your doing low intensity, steady state exercise, your body will look to use fat as an energy source.

On the other hand if your weight training, interval training. going 10, 3 minute rounds balls out on the bag, then its going to look to use carbs.

None of the above mentioned exercise state consider protein stored in your muscles as a significant fuel source. Only under extreme circumstances i.e. starvation will your body look to use protein as a fuel source, and even then it will look toward the more readily accessible BCAA's rather than having to break down muscle tissue.

Basically my advice is this; if your routines nailed and your diet is spot on and your not losing the excess, up your cardio.

Not doing 3 hours of steady state and minimum 1 hour intervals? Dont even think about complaining "its not coming off".

I have a borderline thyroid condition and after spending 6 years in a wheelchair my metabolism / eating habits are/were shot, not to mention the mental impact.

My weigh wasent "coming off" either, the reason? I wasent being honest with myself.

I wasent giving 100% in the gym, to my diet and to my rest.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

0-hero , Thanks for the thoughtful advice, I am sorry to hear about your situation.
    I wonder what are you thoughts regarding BCAA's supplements,
    Is it possible to get enough BCAA's from food rather than taking supplements?
  8. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%

Quote Originally Posted by 0-hero View Post
    Excuse me but how does the reduction of carbs help your body in NOT chosing muscle as an energy source?

Fact is man at 1800 cals a day (which does seem a bit low) very few people have what it takes to diet so strictly and do so much cardio that they lose lean mass.

Strength is an excellent indicator of lean mass whether your gaining or losing.

There are a few generic rules in play here, that apply to the average joe trainer, if your doing low intensity, steady state exercise, your body will look to use fat as an energy source.

On the other hand if your weight training, interval training. going 10, 3 minute rounds balls out on the bag, then its going to look to use carbs.

None of the above mentioned exercise state consider protein stored in your muscles as a significant fuel source. Only under extreme circumstances i.e. starvation will your body look to use protein as a fuel source, and even then it will look toward the more readily accessible BCAA's rather than having to break down muscle tissue.

Basically my advice is this; if your routines nailed and your diet is spot on and your not losing the excess, up your cardio.

Not doing 3 hours of steady state and minimum 1 hour intervals? Dont even think about complaining "its not coming off".

I have a borderline thyroid condition and after spending 6 years in a wheelchair my metabolism / eating habits are/were shot, not to mention the mental impact.

My weigh wasent "coming off" either, the reason? I wasent being honest with myself.

I wasent giving 100% in the gym, to my diet and to my rest.
  9. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.28%

When it comes to BCAA’s im a believer of suck it and see, there is a LOT of support evidence for them but also a lot of people saying they are snake oil.

Personally, they are a staple for me, for the following reasons. Free form BCAA’s i.e. the white powder in the bags :P is much different and in some situations (imo) superior to consuming “whole” proteins.

I advocate them during an intense workout whether it be HIIT, cross training, MMA, Weight lifting and so on.

If and like I said it’s a big IF imo your body does get put into a state/situation whereby it looks toward gluconeogenosis (using other sources rather than carbs) for fuel then essential it is my understanding that your muscle tissue is stripped of BCAA’s.

Of course the argument is, if you supplement with free form BCAA’s, even if your body is forced into an almost catabolic state, it will resort to these instead of actual muscle tissue.

In short it’s a little safety net for those going balls to the wall frequently with high intensity week in, week out who are concerned about losing lean mass.
  10. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%

Quote Originally Posted by 0-hero View Post
    If and like I said it’s a big IF imo your body does get put into a state/situation whereby it looks toward gluconeogenosis (using other sources rather than carbs) for fuel then essential it is my understanding that your muscle tissue is stripped of BCAA’s.

Of course the argument is, if you supplement with free form BCAA’s, even if your body is forced into an almost catabolic state, it will resort to these instead of actual muscle tissue.

In short it’s a little safety net for those going balls to the wall frequently with high intensity week in, week out who are concerned about losing lean mass.
    touche! ever since high school people have been preaching to me that you'll lose muscle if you do cardio, and you'll lose muscle if you do cardio in a fasted state. when i know triathletes who do hours of cardio and have more lean mass then me...
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.98%

Quote Originally Posted by KgTomCat View Post
    x2 for real
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

Thanks again , and have a good week
  13. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.58%

Quote Originally Posted by cs2600 View Post
    Thanks again , and have a good week
    week? its only Wednesday boss

Similar Forum Threads

1. how to prevent hair loss from havoc/epi
    By Musclefever in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
  2. Extra Steps to Prevent Catabolism
    By Doug8796 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
  3. Soy may help prevent weight gain, diabetes
    By yeahright in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 09:15 PM
  4. actevaTE (nettle root extract) to prevent hair loss?
    By sundevil04 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 01:24 PM