HIIT and Rowing (ergs)

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
Hey guys, I have never really tried a HIIT program, but im about to start a cut cycle, so Im gonna give it a try.

I am a former rower, of 4 years and 8 seasons, and prefer doing cardio on an erg machine to other sources, as it gives such a full body burn. Also, I have a recurring heal injury which prevents me from sprinting to regularly.

My question is, has anyone here used erg machines for HIIT programs? If so, have they had good results, and what ratios/workout schedules have they used? I havnt done cardio training for quite some time, so I'll have to start kinda slow...

Thanks

Note: I also posted this in the excercise forum, but looking back it seems more relevant here.

heywood

heywood

Awards
  • Established
Well, doing 500-1000 meter sets would be a decent sprint length...I miss doing the erg, it is great for your back, core and legs.

I used to be a sprint kayaker, and kayaking ergs are ridiculous in both appearance and function. I always wondered how I would have done as a rower; I also used to ski race and have always had very strong legs and back.

Good luck

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
Yea i loved erging and rowing, although it left me with that terrible rowers body...meaning huge shoulders back and back with a tiny flat chest...been workin for a loong time to make up for that one eheh

But it should be nice rowing a bit again...yea im trying to decide if I will be better off doing it time based or distance based on the sprints. Prob distance, right?

G12bey

Awards
Try doing a Tabata (specific type of HITT) based rowing regime. Seriously difficult

Take a look on Clarence Bass's website, I believe there is an article there on Rowing Tabata.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
I just looked up the tabata program, looks like a pretty intense workout...i'll def give it a try!

heywood

heywood

Awards
  • Established
For intervals I always preferred distance based to fire me up more, but it looks like you're well handled with that suggested program.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
yea I will definetly experiment a bit and decide whats best for me. Thanks a lot for the advice!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tabata intervals would be good.

I like doing sets of 500m all out w/ 1 min rest. We use the c2 all the time with crossfit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnKyJdA01w&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Rowing Technique by Flip Luisi[/ame]

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
Yea i rowed for 4 years so I know the technique pretty well, just been workin on the best way to do it for cutting, since I'v never done an HIIT program before. I think Im set now on what to do tho, so thanks all for the advice!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just like that video so I post whenever I get a chance

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
yea it is a nice little vid...gotta love the stick figure demonstrations!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Here is an awesome site that posts C2 rower workouts all the time. Many are HIIT, some are endurance. Check it out. They give you a choice from bike, run, row.

http://crossfitendurance.com/

Examples: #1
Choose ONE of the Following Sports:
Swim, Bike, Run, C2
3x5 min intervals w/3min recovery between rounds.
Hold maximal distance possible on each of the 5 min rounds.
Foul if you get slower or loose distance on each round.
Foul = 2 min Isometric Squat hold.

Examples #2
Chose ONE of The Following Sports:
All sports do: 30:20 x 8 rounds, 30 seconds on 20 seconds off, all out effort!
Swim: Use pool or open water
Bike: Use a Monarch ERG, stationary bike with wattage tool or something similar that can hold a load of 200+ watts
Run: Use a treadmill, set at 12% grade at 0-30 sec slower pace per mile than best 5k pace. Do not reduce the speed!
C2:Row 30:20x8

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
nice workouts man, thanks. I like the foul portion for if your distances drop...prob gonna use that one regardless of what workout I end up doing. Thanks!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's def a great website.