How long to cut?

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
Hey, I have generally been a hard gainer, and I have been bulking for a few months now. Although I am still pretty small (5'10, 153), I am currently at around 13% bf and I would like to get down to 8-10% again for the summer.

I havnt ever really tried to cut before since Im a bit of a hardgainer, so I was just wondering how long it might take to get down to 8-10%. I will do some dieting, but i will mainly just be putting a larger emphasis on cardio, and making some modifications to my workout schedule.

I'm dont really need advice on how to lose the weight, im more just curious how long i should expect it to take.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
lol, u tell us...

seriously, it's different for everyone. I'm an endo and it takes me a 5 - 6 weeks just to lose 1.5 - 2%. If you're an ecto, you could maybe even do this in a couple of weeks.

GhstFceTrilla

Awards
Thats a considerable amount of fatloss. But there is no way we can possibly give you a time stamp. It all depends on how diligent you are with your diet and training. You will definitely have to step up the cardio - I know it sucks, but you don't really have a choice. Are you considering any additional supplementation during your cut?

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
Thats a considerable amount of fatloss. But there is no way we can possibly give you a time stamp. It all depends on how diligent you are with your diet and training. You will definitely have to step up the cardio - I know it sucks, but you don't really have a choice. Are you considering any additional supplementation during your cut?
Yea i know I will need to do lots of cardio...i intentionally havnt been doing any for quite some time, so I am hoping it will have a larger affect as a result of this.

I havnt really looked into supplementation, But i would consider giving it a try. I dont want anything with diuretics tho since they have some pretty bad side effects, and i would prefer not to have energy boosting crap...

any suggestions?

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
forever...seriously though don't know its diff for everyone. advice i could give you is check your bodyfat here http://www.linear-software.com/online.html and just play with the numbers for your weight and waist measurements. Then you can figure out your target weight to reach and figure you can lose about 2lbs a week max and not lose muscle. so if you need to lose 20lbs, figure 10 weeks etc...

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
I doubt you want to lose 20 lbs. If it were me, id continue with the bulk but throw in cardio. I take it your diet isnt as clean as youd like, so brush up on that. You can lose bodyfat while gaining weight, especially for ectos.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
yea im 5'10 and 153, so i certainly wouldnt want to lose 20 pounds...not even close...

Just lookin to lean out my midsection a bit for the summer. Yea my diet isnt ideal, but im finishing up my last semester of college at the moment, and as a result it is a bit harder to eat healthy on a campus meal plan...doing my best tho...

yea i think all I'm really gonna do is throw in some heavy cardio, prob HIIT on an erg machine but im not sure yet. Iv never tried to lose weight, but iv always been an ecto so i dont think it sould be too hard for me...i guess i'll find out!

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
i just said 20lbs as a random example, you may only want to lose 5-10 tops

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
You can almost lose no weight with weights and cardio, but lose the body fat.

I know what you mean with the diet.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
Id just start doing a lot more cardio. Try and clean diet up, lift intensely, and do double the cardio.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
yep, thats the hope! and im graduating in a month, so it will be a lot easier to regulate my diet after that...for the time being I'll just have to do what I can.

Yea kinda dreading the cardio since I havnt done any in a looong time, but shouldnt be to bad. any of you ever done HIIT on an erg before?

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
yep, thats the hope! and im graduating in a month, so it will be a lot easier to regulate my diet after that...for the time being I'll just have to do what I can.

Yea kinda dreading the cardio since I havnt done any in a looong time, but shouldnt be to bad. any of you ever done HIIT on an erg before?
rowing erg all the time.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Example: I'm cutting for as long as it takes until I'm happy with the way my midsection looks. I'm hoping I only have 2-3 more weeks to go. I don't actually have a weight goal. I'm also trying to keep as much muscle as possible.

So goals are unique to the individual.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
yea that sounds pretty close to my goals...rly dont need to lose weight, just tryin to prepare for the summer a bit

stefang

Awards
Hey, I have generally been a hard gainer, and I have been bulking for a few months now. Although I am still pretty small (5'10, 153), I am currently at around 13% bf and I would like to get down to 8-10% again for the summer.

I havnt ever really tried to cut before since Im a bit of a hardgainer, so I was just wondering how long it might take to get down to 8-10%. I will do some dieting, but i will mainly just be putting a larger emphasis on cardio, and making some modifications to my workout schedule.

I'm dont really need advice on how to lose the weight, im more just curious how long i should expect it to take.
1.5 - 3 lbs of fat per week is healthy and achievable with good diet. So for you it could take maybe 4-6 weeks if you eat clean, weight train and do your cardio (HIIT is great for fat loss since it burns calories up to 38 hours after your workout)

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
1.5 - 3 lbs of fat per week is healthy and achievable with good diet. So for you it could take maybe 4-6 weeks if you eat clean, weight train and do your cardio (HIIT is great for fat loss since it burns calories up to 38 hours after your workout)
he doesnt need to lose weight, pay attention.