Muscle Recovery.. need some help

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Muscle Recovery.. need some help

I've been hitting the gym hard for about 3 weeks but this last week has been hell! My legs and ankles are starting to actually hurt daily. They feel really sluggish and tired.

I've only been doing about 45-60 minutes on an elliptical and about 2 hours of playing basketball and racquetball.

Is there anything I should be taking to help me recover better and be able to go back in and hit it as hard as I did two days ago.

Supplements -
    Fish Oil
    Melatonin every workout night for good sleep
    Aspirin
    Clen (One week on/off)

I'm about to add in a multivitamin, but my muscles and body feels so tired all the time

2. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

BCAAs and Creatine would help you with recovery. Essentials is a good mineral/ vitamin mix with added BCAAs and you can even get it with joint support. Extend is another good BCAA option. It would be more expensive than bulk BCAAs, but Extend is flavored. To some people it is worth the extra money to make BCAAs taste good. Green Magnitude is a yummy Creatine product.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Are you taking any days off? You may be over-doing it. How long have you been training prior to this 3 weeks of hell? Explain your pain more. Are we talking sharp localized pain that coincides with particular ranges of motion or an overall duller, more global pain?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Also, make sure you are drinking ALOT of water all day. Especially during and after workout. Dry muscles = mega soreness.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Answers

I've always randomly lifted with no attention to diet whatsoever..

these past three weeks consisted of a 1 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hour full body workout and then 2 hours of cardio (45 minutes to 1 hour and then playing racquetball or basketball) every other day..

The pain is mostly localized in my legs and ankles.. but the soreness and pain is more global focusing around knees and elbows
  6. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidi8n View Post
    I've always randomly lifted with no attention to diet whatsoever..

these past three weeks consisted of a 1 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hour full body workout and then 2 hours of cardio (45 minutes to 1 hour and then playing racquetball or basketball) every other day..

The pain is mostly localized in my legs and ankles.. but the soreness and pain is more global focusing around knees and elbows
    That is WAY to much weight lifting for one workout. Lifting workouts should last no longer than an hour. And 2 hours of cardio is overdoing too, IMO.

No wonder you are so sore. Lower the time of your lifting and cardio and your pain will probably subside.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'4"  124 lbs.
    Answers

for sure too much time in one session lifting
    after about an hour of intense lifting your cortisol levels become high enough to cause your body to switch to breaking down your muscles for food, leading to an opposite effect and could cause you to actually become weaker
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Yea I agree, you're definitely over-training. Remember that too much cardio is actually counterproductive to weight loss because after a certain amount of time (usually about an hour), you're body stops using fat and carbs for energy and begins to use your actual muscle tissue. Definitely get a BCAA blend, and I would even throw in an extra 5g of glutamine. Also consider using a time released protein powder to keep your body in protein synthesis longer before your workouts/cardio. PM me with any questions.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Answers

Yea i agree with them, you need to slow the training man. Forgetting anything else, with that amount of cardio you are working all the same muscles every day, and prob workin them a few times a day when combined with lifting, so this not only overworks your muscles, but does not allow adequate time for recovery. This is an easy way to injure yourself, and it will also severely limit any gains you might have.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  184 lbs.
    Answers

I really appreciate this guys.. Diet is getting cleaner and cleaner every week. I'm seeing some improvements in the stomach area, and actually taking a week off to recover then take it slower.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. muscle recovery advice...
    By viking805fan in forum Bulking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
  2. Muscle Recovery?
    By Nick26 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 03:04 PM
  3. Muscle Recovery Time
    By Kalakbar in forum Training Forum