Muscle Recovery.. need some help

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
I've been hitting the gym hard for about 3 weeks but this last week has been hell! My legs and ankles are starting to actually hurt daily. They feel really sluggish and tired.

I've only been doing about 45-60 minutes on an elliptical and about 2 hours of playing basketball and racquetball.

Is there anything I should be taking to help me recover better and be able to go back in and hit it as hard as I did two days ago.

Supplements -
Fish Oil
Melatonin every workout night for good sleep
Aspirin
Clen (One week on/off)

I'm about to add in a multivitamin, but my muscles and body feels so tired all the time

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BCAAs and Creatine would help you with recovery. Essentials is a good mineral/ vitamin mix with added BCAAs and you can even get it with joint support. Extend is another good BCAA option. It would be more expensive than bulk BCAAs, but Extend is flavored. To some people it is worth the extra money to make BCAAs taste good. Green Magnitude is a yummy Creatine product. :)

GhstFceTrilla

Awards
Are you taking any days off? You may be over-doing it. How long have you been training prior to this 3 weeks of hell? Explain your pain more. Are we talking sharp localized pain that coincides with particular ranges of motion or an overall duller, more global pain?

GhstFceTrilla

Awards
Also, make sure you are drinking ALOT of water all day. Especially during and after workout. Dry muscles = mega soreness.

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
I've always randomly lifted with no attention to diet whatsoever..

these past three weeks consisted of a 1 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hour full body workout and then 2 hours of cardio (45 minutes to 1 hour and then playing racquetball or basketball) every other day..

The pain is mostly localized in my legs and ankles.. but the soreness and pain is more global focusing around knees and elbows

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've always randomly lifted with no attention to diet whatsoever..

these past three weeks consisted of a 1 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hour full body workout and then 2 hours of cardio (45 minutes to 1 hour and then playing racquetball or basketball) every other day..

The pain is mostly localized in my legs and ankles.. but the soreness and pain is more global focusing around knees and elbows
That is WAY to much weight lifting for one workout. Lifting workouts should last no longer than an hour. And 2 hours of cardio is overdoing too, IMO.

No wonder you are so sore. Lower the time of your lifting and cardio and your pain will probably subside.

virenex

Awards
for sure too much time in one session lifting
after about an hour of intense lifting your cortisol levels become high enough to cause your body to switch to breaking down your muscles for food, leading to an opposite effect and could cause you to actually become weaker

Erich Schmidt

Awards
Yea I agree, you're definitely over-training. Remember that too much cardio is actually counterproductive to weight loss because after a certain amount of time (usually about an hour), you're body stops using fat and carbs for energy and begins to use your actual muscle tissue. Definitely get a BCAA blend, and I would even throw in an extra 5g of glutamine. Also consider using a time released protein powder to keep your body in protein synthesis longer before your workouts/cardio. PM me with any questions.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
Yea i agree with them, you need to slow the training man. Forgetting anything else, with that amount of cardio you are working all the same muscles every day, and prob workin them a few times a day when combined with lifting, so this not only overworks your muscles, but does not allow adequate time for recovery. This is an easy way to injure yourself, and it will also severely limit any gains you might have.

Obsidi8n

Obsidi8n

Awards
I really appreciate this guys.. Diet is getting cleaner and cleaner every week. I'm seeing some improvements in the stomach area, and actually taking a week off to recover then take it slower.