Caloric Needs and time of day

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
Hey all.
I started cutting at the start of last week after a long bulk. While bulking a ate A LOT, at least in my opinion. Like probably around 4000 calories a day. This last week I cut calories down to about 2300-2500 a day. I'm 6'1", have between 10-12% bf, 19 years old, was 188lbs at the start of last week, and about 185 now. I'm at the gym 4-5 days a week and pretty active other than that (games of ultimate frisbee, beach, pool, etc).
I want to know if this reduction is too drastic to carefully lose fat. Is it possible my metabolism is slowing down? Because that would hurt me down the road if I wasn't careful. My diet now holds 600 calories at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Before bed another 200-300 calories, and right after a workout I get two scoops of whey with 5 grams glutamine(don't know if its ever been proven effective) in water. Also my pre-bed snack usually consists of milk and whey or casein, sometimes with peanut butter. My breakfast has a few more carbs than lunch and dinner, but both lunch and dinner still have 50-100 grams of carbs.
I stopped eating 6-7 meals a day after a lot research while cutting simply because it has never been proven that this speeds metabolism, and fat can be burned more efficiently in between these meals since there is not a constant supply of energy(plus I feel its easier to maintain calories like this). I also get 40-50 grams of protein per meal, from good sources(ie lean meats, milk, egg whites, etc.)

As well as caloric needs, I want a few opinions on having the carbs at night, from dinner and pre-bed. I've read that some feel total nutrients during the day is what matters overall, while others only have low carb options before bed. I appreciate any replies!

ALSO I forgot to mention I had some extra Leviathan Reloaded from my last cut so i've been using that too. Dosing two in the AM and 1 in the PM with a green tea capsule. I also take a multi, ZMA most nights, and 2-4 grams of fish oil a day.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do. Workout early AM (compound, super and trisets) to get your metabolism cranking.

Then taper you daily CHO intake, insure your sugars (which should be about 20% total CHO) are centred around post WO.

You could do afternoon cardio as well. Im a fan of more activity than less calories - burnin'. Just keep it clean.

. . and drink weak tea all day long - white or green.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
my 2 cents on the carb before bed situation.

Carbohydrates are generally digested down into glucose which is transported in the blood. Insulin then drives the glucose into areas where the glucose is needed, such as your muscles' anaerobic metabolism. The blood glucose does not just go to waste or get ejected from the body if no need is found. If there is no need to metabolize the blood glucose, the insulin drives the glucose into fatty tissue to be preserved in fatty acid form.

I find that in my diet, I really like to place carbohydrates around times of energy use and need. Lots of pre workout complex carbs, lots of simple carbs post workout for glycogen replenishment, muscle repair, and growth, some decent low GI carbs to sustain me through the work day. But as for carbs right before bed, I try and stay away. I stick to a protein source, such as casein or whatever.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
. . I should have added my early AM workouts are fasted. . . I would agree, no need for CHO pre-bed. Even evening meal, all you need is lean protein and vegetables (non-starch)

Theipodpeople

Theipodpeople

Awards
my 2 cents on the carb before bed situation.

Carbohydrates are generally digested down into glucose which is transported in the blood. Insulin then drives the glucose into areas where the glucose is needed, such as your muscles' anaerobic metabolism. The blood glucose does not just go to waste or get ejected from the body if no need is found. If there is no need to metabolize the blood glucose, the insulin drives the glucose into fatty tissue to be preserved in fatty acid form.

I find that in my diet, I really like to place carbohydrates around times of energy use and need. Lots of pre workout complex carbs, lots of simple carbs post workout for glycogen replenishment, muscle repair, and growth, some decent low GI carbs to sustain me through the work day. But as for carbs right before bed, I try and stay away. I stick to a protein source, such as casein or whatever.
Hey I appreciate that reply. But then take a look at this: http://www.naturalphysiques.com/faq/300.html

Especially this paragraph "Unfortunately, they also listened to the "expert" who said, "if you don't have carbs it will force your body to burn fat." I love that one. We'll just bypass years of biochemistry and the facts about how the body produces energy and make a blanket statement like "cutting carbs forces your body to burn fat." In reality, your body is always burning energy from multiple sources. In fact, carbohydrate is required as part of the fat-burning process. Therefore, if you don't supply carbohydrates, guess what? Your body will make do - we can adapt - and it will take the next best thing it can convert to carbs for the process. That would be protein! So in other words, robbing yourself of carbs after dark is essentially assuring that your body is going to use the protein you take in more for energy and oxidation than muscle -building."

Also does anyone have advice on calories?

Jda777

Jda777

Banned
Awards
Hey I appreciate that reply. But then take a look at this: http://www.naturalphysiques.com/faq/300.html

Especially this paragraph "Unfortunately, they also listened to the "expert" who said, "if you don't have carbs it will force your body to burn fat." I love that one. We'll just bypass years of biochemistry and the facts about how the body produces energy and make a blanket statement like "cutting carbs forces your body to burn fat." In reality, your body is always burning energy from multiple sources. In fact, carbohydrate is required as part of the fat-burning process. Therefore, if you don't supply carbohydrates, guess what? Your body will make do - we can adapt - and it will take the next best thing it can convert to carbs for the process. That would be protein! So in other words, robbing yourself of carbs after dark is essentially assuring that your body is going to use the protein you take in more for energy and oxidation than muscle -building."

Drink BCAAs and have a slow digesting protein before bed. I'm doing that and not losing muscle.\

Screw the "studies.":laugh:

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established

I am not really trying to argue that not having carbs will force you to burn fat. That would be the ketogenic diet and you need to stay very low on carbs for a few days before you even enter ketosis. That is not going to happen from laying off the carbs before bed.

When it saying that carbohydrate metabolism is required for the fat burning process, they are right. We need oxaloacetate derived from glycolytic metabolism. Eating carbs is a good thing, but REGARDLESS if you jack up your blood glucose level by having a bowl of lucky charms before bed or even a lot of fruit, do not expect to have 0 fat gain for the night even though you burn x amount of calories while sleeping!

Overall, the main reason why I am pretty sure that carbs before bed is not a good idea is from personal experience. I pork up quick when carbing for bed. It helps with muscle gain so I do it while on bulk. But while I am trying to make the mid section look nice, I stay away.

P S I didn't see an author for the article.

The caloric change is quite a bit, but I think you will be alright. Go at it! Good luck!