Good foods to eat in the late evening?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Good foods to eat in the late evening?

What's up everyone. I'm wondering what some of you eat as your last meal of the day. I know a lot of people like cottage cheese, but I hate that stuff! I literally can't eat it without gagging, because I've tried multiple times before. I also can't afford any supplement at the moment, such as casien.

Any other suggestions?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

beef and milk...i've never been a fan of cottage cheese either.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

The sugars in the milk aren't going to be counterproductive towards the cutting process? How much milk would you recommend drinking? Also, do you think ground turkey could be a substitute for the beef?

Thanks
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    The sugars in the milk aren't going to be counterproductive towards the cutting process? How much milk would you recommend drinking? Also, do you think ground turkey could be a substitute for the beef?

Thanks
    have you ever tried mixing cottage cheese with egg whites and cooking it as you would scrambled eggs? Give it a shot.....I don't eat the stuff plain either.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

Grilled chicken/shrimp spinach salad with homemade Italian dressing with Olive Oil. That's my favorite late evening/pre-bed meal.
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Omelet 60 minutes pre-bed is amazing at keeping you full. I also love ON's 100% Casein Choc w/ Extra Cocoa & Coconut Oil.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Would 4oz of ground turkey work? That's about 160 calories, 22g protein, 0 carbs, and 8g fat? That along with a class of low-fat milk? Which would be 110 calories, 8g protein, 13g carbs, 2.5g fat. Could even get fat free milk if need be.

I'm kinda on a tight budget so I'm needing the cheapest, most effective solutions. lol
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post

Thanks
    sorry didn't realize you were cutting. in that case i'd opt for eggs. i like to use some beef for the fat content and slower digestion.

soy milk has less than half the sugar but not sure on the casein content if any. i never use it as i tend to stay away from hippy food
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

All-natural Peanut Butter. Cheap and effective. Maybe a can of tuna, a couple eggs, or a scoop of whey or casein if you're looking for more protein. They should all be within budget.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Answers

anything without carbs.....

Eggs is my favorite. I eat eggs every night i get off work.
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, I had three eggs tonight, and 1 cup of 1% milk. Might alternate between eggs and ground turkey. I guess I won't worry about the milk sugars too much. I would assume they're in cottage cheese as well?
  13. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Cut the milk out man....

Make egg whites - you can throw all kinds of sh!t in there.

cooked meats(chicken/lean ground beef,turkey, etc...) - low fat shredded cheese, veggies, etc....

Learn to love them.

If I have a sweet tooth, I'll sometimes sprinkle a tiny bit of splenda on it, or have a cup of 10 calorie jello.

A small portion of almonds are okay too.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jda777 View Post
    Cut the milk out man....

Make egg whites - you can throw all kinds of sh!t in there.

cooked meats(chicken/lean ground beef,turkey, etc...) - low fat shredded cheese, veggies, etc....

Learn to love them.

If I have a sweet tooth, I'll sometimes sprinkle a tiny bit of splenda on it, or have a cup of 10 calorie jello.

A small portion of almonds are okay too.
    You are more ripped than me, so I'll take your advice.

I'll just stick to eggs and turkey, and maybe throw in some veggies as well. Thanks guys!

Oh, one more question, is milk okay to drink any time on a cut? Or is it best to just avoid it?
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Idk what your carb intake is like and what you are shooting for...but protein sources i like later in the day(i tend to have higher fat protein sources closer to bed) are beef, fish like salmon, and whole eggs...
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Answers

I personally keep the milk intake low - I used to drink it like water.

I'm not a fan of sugars.

You could mix it with protein powder post workout, and that would be fine.

Also - Make sure you are making the distinction between eggs and egg whites.

Whole eggs are much higher in calories and fat. I like to eat alot so eating just whites allows for the servings to be more voluminous.

You can buy them in cartons pretty cheap at sams or costco. I eat the hell out of them.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

You guys should jump over to the other thread about how I need someone to help me with my whole diet.

This is the first time I've really dedicated myself to a cut. Usually I would just drop enough so that I could have some shape in the midsection, but now I'm wanting to really get lean for the summer and could use some help.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.
    Answers

i think milk is a must have in your morning meal. If you keep ur calories in check, milk is fine.......given u dont drink it before bed (b/c of carbs, sugars)
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. -Rippetoe
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Answers

I think milk is fine. Just opt for fat-free/skimmed milk. As long as you aren't slugging down whole milk its all good. Tuna is a great option, although not filling. 1 can + 1 cup skim milk is how I do it.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Answers

for cutting i try not to eat too late as your metabolism will be slower so more will be stored as bodyfat. So for last meal I'd go for grilled chicken or eggs. In other words protein, little fat, no carbs. Slow burning like casein or cottage cheese would be ideal but you cant afford it right now.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by TURUGBY View Post
    for cutting i try not to eat too late as your metabolism will be slower so more will be stored as bodyfat. So for last meal I'd go for grilled chicken or eggs. In other words protein, little fat, no carbs. Slow burning like casein or cottage cheese would be ideal but you cant afford it right now.
    You just said no fat or carbs...so is cottage cheese an exception or does it have a negligible amount of carbs and fat?
  22. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by petey7408 View Post
    You just said no fat or carbs...so is cottage cheese an exception or does it have a negligible amount of carbs and fat?
    Cottage cheese does have fat and carbohydrates, but it's only a small amount (especially if you buy low fat/non-fat):

Per 100g (non-fat)

64 calories
    14g protein
    4.3g carbohydrates
    1.3g fat
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

"i tend to stay away from hippy food"

Hail Yea! I cant down with Soy. It might be because I LOVE regular milk. And because the right winger at work drinks it. As far as late night food, I just drink a protein shake, just 1 scoop with water, and 6 egg whites, and drink a tall glass of quality H2O. There was a recipe of cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter and a little honey all blended. Haven't tried that one yet.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-20-2009, 01:01 AM
  2. Some Good Foods That Help In Fitness
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM
  3. Are these foods good for bulking?
    By Frotsmud in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM