Correct Maintenance & Weight loss numbers??

MoparRob

Awards
Hello, I'm 6'3" 280lbs and just started seriously working out. Mainly lifting some very little cardio here and there. My goal is to get into much better shape and lose fat. I am working out pretty hard 4-5 days a week. I did a calorie calculator and it came up with maintenance for approx 2600 calories. Now here is my question; I am not sure how many calories I should be eating to reach my goals. I am eating much healthier and my diet is coming along but I want really would like to get it down to a science. Thanks in advance for all the responses and sorry for the dang book but just wanted to be detailed!
Rob

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The best way to do it is to find out how many calories you currently eat to maintain your weight. So track every calorie for a week or so and average it. If you didn't fluctuate your weight, thats roughly your maintenance. From there, subtract 300-500 calories and/or increase calorie burning. You should be losing weight by then. You want to shoot for 2lbs a week or so. You should reassess the numbers every 6-8 weeks based on stagnation.

MoparRob

Awards
My maintainance is 2600 calories so you think should subtract 300-500 even on lifting days or what do you think?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Well the idea behind it is to subtract roughly 3500 calories a week, spread over the 7 days.