Question about the keto diet...

gregor37

Awards
No one was able to answer this question on BB.com, so I hope someone here can........I have no problem eating steak and eggs for breakfast lunch and dinner but why would you not eat chicken instead? I know on a ketosis diet they want you to have a lot of fats, but why? when you can not eat them altogether when you eat chicken, and have a better chance of burning fat that way, plus its lower in calories........thanks

gregor37

Awards
in other words whats why would you have a high fat low carb diet when you can have a low fat low carb(of course with protein) diet? I called a dietican sp.? and she said that my idea was fine because my body would use the ingested protein and my muscles would not be broken down for energy and that I would still go into keto with chicken breast.....but of course I want my peoples thoughts on this issue :)

homer

homer

Awards
the problem is that you must eat the amount of fat that allow ou to have energy and a good hormonal status.
eat chicken, but put some good oil, eat soma almonds, some flexseed. or eat you amount of fat in the other meals

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Well protein beyond a certain point just doesn't serve a practical function on this diet. Excess protein can have cause the raising of blood glucose levels, depending on the levels of certain proteins there can be a glucogenic reaction from the protein.

Why would you have a better chance of burning fat from taking in lower fat?

gregor37

Awards
because wouldnt your body rather burn fat for energy, then muscle?

I mean correct me if I wrong, but thats what I read somewhere else......on some other forum, not a scientific reference though

homer

homer

Awards
greg, the amount of fat you can burn every day (from adypocite, from your store) is limited, so if you follow a very low fat (and carb) diet you start to burn a lot of freefat mass. if you need 90 gr fat a day, and you eat 80, it still work, but if you eat 40, every day, it don't work because you lose your metabolism, lose your muscle,lose your sex drive.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I mean correct me if I wrong, but thats what I read somewhere else......on some other forum, not a scientific reference though
nope, its the other way around. its much more effort for your body to break down fat, and most likely you have more lean mass than fat as well. So your body is less likely to burn fat

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established

On a keto diet your body is burning free fatty acids, when you are in a reasonable caloric deficit your body will burn much more fat than it will muscle on this diet.

The fat on this diet is what actually spars the use of muscle for energy. Fat breakdown creates ketones, ketones lessen the requirements for glucose and the need to break down protein for glucose.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established

No, that is NOT correct. 1 lb. of lean tissue takes 69 kcal of energy for your body to maintain daily, while 1 lb of fat takes only 9 kcal of energy to maintain. If you are in a caloric deficit to try to lose weight/fat, your body will realize it is in a calorie deficient state and hold onto whatever tissue it must expend the least amount of energy to maintain. The body will always prefer to cannabolize its own muscle tissue first if there are insufficient amounts of carbohydrates OR fats on a keto diet to burn for energy.

BEAST