Here is a good head scratcher

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about you other CKD/Anabolic, carb cycling dieters out there, but I find that by Tuesday or Wednesday following a weekend carb up I start shedding water (see pissing like crazy).

I have been dieting this way for 11-12 weeks now, give or take, and this has been the rule, and it is actually the rule right now as I type this post. I am "shedding water" once every 20-30 minutes.

However, last week and the week before I had made a mistake counting calories. For those 2 weeks I hadn't been in calorie deficit, and had actually been taking in more calories than I need for maintenance (made some decent strength gains too lol). Anyway during this two weeks of extra calories I found that I wasn't shedding water after my carb up. Why do you think this is?

Did my body utilize the extra glycogen/water in this lean bulk state that I accidentally found myself in, or was something else going on?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
You had enough calories in your system, so you were not liberating your glycogen stores as rapidily as you would in a low calories state. Just remember carbs holds a good amount of water, so if you are releasing them quickly you are going to get some extra waterworks.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
You had enough calories in your system, so you were not liberating your glycogen stores as rapidily as you would in a low calories state. Just remember carbs holds a good amount of water, so if you are releasing them quickly you are going to get some extra waterworks.

I didn't know that calorie deficit had an impact on glycogen stores, I thought this was just related to carbs. I suspected that this might be the case, but I wasn't sure. Thanks bro.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Think of it this way, when your body is in a caloric deficit it has to make up those missing calories by utilizing the nutrients stored in your body. With a fat based diet you are going to end up utilizing body fats more efficiently, but you are still going to liberate some of those stored carbs for energy. Also if you had a higher protein intake when you were in a hypercaloric state you may have been having some of it turn to glucose which would prevent you from freeing up your other stores faster.