Stumped on fat loss with keeeping muscle.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Ok so currently im 6'2 1/2 and 206.2 pounds im 16 with but im not fat nor lean. Im a little above average in weight but its also because i have a pretty good amount of muscle. I have pitchers and catchers week and tryouts coming up for 2 straight weeks where basically we run. My goal which isnt unrealstic is to lose 6.3 pounds to get under 200, to sum up my body i have a solid amount of muscle but fat in the stomach and some spread out around rest of body. Im looking to lose this weight but cutting out the 500-1000 calories a day i find unessecary, before i was in sort of a maintence with around 500 calories higher then maintence. so if i dip down to 500 under not including all the running i should be able to lose it.

My concern is keeping the muscle i have worked hard to get, i was thinking of upping my protein intake and hitting the weights hard when i get home? now with the amount of running im going to do is it safe to still lift when i get home and will i lose muscle mass if i say add 60g of protein a day to what i was ingesting before?

Really in these two weeks id like to lose around 6.3 pounds while maintaining my muslce mass, and strength so is it realistic to lose weight and maintain the same muscle mass? And what added things should i do.

Im currently on
Multivitamin
Whey Protein
Creatine
NO Drink (pre wo)

Thanks for help

stefang

Awards
BCAA will help, especially before and during cardio. However, 6 + lbs in two weeks of pure fat might be asking little too much. If that's your goal, then you will probably loose some muscle as well. Don't go more than 500 calories under maintenance per day, and this includes cardio. So for example if you are doing cardio on Day 1 for like 45-60 min then you should eat approximately your maintenance calories. The running will take care of the fat loss part. If you are not running on Day 2, then lower your maintenance by about 500. If you go to low you will slow down your metabolism, which you definitely don't want.

If you are really concerned about loosing any muscle, then try doing a keto diet.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
alrigh thanks ya i'll probally stay maintence since or even a little higher since i will be putting out far more calories then before.

thapr3dat0r

Awards
The lower you drop your calories below maintenance and the faster you try to lose fat, the more likely you are to lose muscle. But I think a lot of people are way more afraid of losing muscle than they should be. As long as your diet is on point you will be fine. Lifting will help you maintain muscle not lose it. Again, as long as your diet is good.

Staying around maintenance and burning fat through exercise is by far the best way to lose fat and maintain muscle BUT it is also the slowest. You're gonna have to compromise somewhere to meet your goal on time.

500 calories below maintenance is a good starting point. I doubt you will lose any noticeable muscle at that level. Just make sure your diet is very clean and you are taking in PLENTY of protein.

Six pounds in two weeks may be a bit unrealistic. But usually at first you lose a bit more weight than usual, so maybe. Depends on your body.

thapr3dat0r

Awards
And just like stefang said, cycling your calories based on your activity levels for that day is a great idea.

BignBad

Awards
Be careful about cutting calories too much: you will whack testosterone if you go much below 15% under your baseline. And if you hammer your hormones, it just makes it that much harder to lose weight.

rrm

Awards
Be careful about cutting calories too much: you will whack testosterone if you go much below 15% under your baseline. And if you hammer your hormones, it just makes it that much harder to lose weight.
very true

thapr3dat0r

Awards
I agree. I am not an advocate of dropping calories very low. You're just gonna go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolism and that is counter productive. 400-500 is pretty safe, IMO.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PARTICULARLY cutting healthy fats is bad, funny as it sounds. at this point so long as i'm getting at least in the .7g/lb range of protein i'd worry more about making sure i get enough healthy fat than the protein.

thapr3dat0r

Awards
PARTICULARLY cutting healthy fats is bad, funny as it sounds. at this point so long as i'm getting at least in the .7g/lb range of protein i'd worry more about making sure i get enough healthy fat than the protein.
Absolutely! That is very often a largely overlooked aspect of a good diet. I take in about 20-25% of my calories from fat (eggs, beef, FLAXSEED OIL)