Hunger and Time of Day

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.99%

Hunger and Time of Day

Does anyone know the reason why people normally get very hungry at night yet have no appetite in the morning? The percentage of people who don't eat breakfast support this theory.

It should be the opposite, but as it is, one should take advantage of this. Simple math tells us that if we can fight off that nightly hunger pang, we just saved our bodies of possibly 300+ calories, and because the night-day phenomenon is not cumulative, we won't overeat the next morning, and so the effect is automatic.

300+ automatic calories not consumed every day would equal about 2 lbs every 3 weeks. This means if you usually eat 1-2 hours before going to sleep and suddenly stop, you would basically lose 2.5 lbs a month changing nothing else (or if you're over maintenance anyway, you would prevent that extra gain).

I know there's metabolism to think about, but as long as you are consuming enough calories during the day, a few hours of fasting won't switch your brain to "starvation" mode; that's not how it works.

I wanna read some thoughts of others about this, but I believe people generally do consume too many calories just before going to sleep, which basically means unneeded calories, and stopping this practice, in my opinion, is a great way to kick-start weight-loss, which is the hardest part. Once a few lbs melt away, people usually get confident and start working out, eating healthier, etc.

That's how I kick-started my weight-loss and I have gone from 215 lbs of sebaceous folds of joy to 178 lbs of lean, mean, slightly plump mid-section (haha) weight-lifting machine.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.4%

Intersting theories. My only comment is that I think most people wake up hungry. They will often pour in the caffeine to overcome the effects.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.99%

Quote Originally Posted by BignBad View Post
    Intersting theories. My only comment is that I think most people wake up hungry. They will often pour in the caffeine to overcome the effects.
    I wouldn't say that. Some people do wake up hungry, but overweight people, in general, are much hungrier before bed than right after waking up, which exacerbates the problem. My theory is really only useful for overweight people, as people in shape don't really need that extra tip to stay in shape.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.32%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

cortisol levels
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.99%

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    cortisol levels
    Would you elaborate?
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.49%

like i just said in another thread it may depend on what is consumed and when. of course what you say would jump start weight loss...but thats for someone that needs to weight and where any diet change will provide results. some people are more finely tuned and that latenight meal won't phase them at all.

my answer to your question is 'programming'. peoples bodies have simple gotten used to the times they eat and are expected to by the brain over a period of time!
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.47%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    my answer to your question is 'programming'. peoples bodies have simple gotten used to the times they eat and are expected to by the brain over a period of time!
    So true. I have unintentionally trained my body to be hungry at certain times due to my scheduling. If I'm 5 minutes late off my eating schedule, its like a complete 180. One minute I'm fine and the very next, I'm starving like I haven't ate in days.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Neverending hunger
    By drummaboyzl in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
  2. How to increase hunger
    By just93 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 11:54 PM
  3. Hunger/Workout
    By speedpastu in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2