Does this make sense?

glennwethere

glennwethere

Awards
I am trying to put on muscle and lose fat. So I guess I'm looking at maintaining my weight pretty much. Does it make sense to cut carbs really low on days that I just do cardio? On weight lifting days I probably take in around 200 grams of carbs in about 2000-2200 cal for the day. On the cardio days I would kick up the protein a bit and cut the carbs to about 50 grams. This would be done about 2 or 3 days a week. Anyone see any benefit to this? Seems logical to me but I may be way off.
Thanks.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
I am trying to put on muscle and lose fat. So I guess I'm looking at maintaining my weight pretty much. Does it make sense to cut carbs really low on days that I just do cardio? On weight lifting days I probably take in around 200 grams of carbs in about 2000-2200 cal for the day. On the cardio days I would kick up the protein a bit and cut the carbs to about 50 grams. This would be done about 2 or 3 days a week. Anyone see any benefit to this? Seems logical to me but I may be way off.
Thanks.
Personally, I would stay around 100g carbs every day before going 50 one day and 200 another. What's your theory here?

On a side note, staying the same weight will be a slow, grueling process. You should expect to be able to lose weight faster than add lbm. I'm not sure how much fat you need to lose, but if you want to get cut in a descent amount of time, you should plan on dropping a few pounds IMO.

glennwethere

glennwethere

Awards
My thoery on cutting the carbs on cardio days was because I don't need the carb energy on those days. When I cut carbs too low on lifting days, my lifting seems to suffer severly. I had a bf% test taken at work yesterday, one of those handheld things that you enter all the info and it shoots a current through you and tells you bmi and bf%, it said 20% but I think I'm lower than that because my abs are starting to show. The weight that was entered into it was about 7-10 lbs heavier than what I am too, I don't know how that might affect the numbers. I was fully clothed with a long sleeved fleece and steel-toe shoes.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
My thoery on cutting the carbs on cardio days was because I don't need the carb energy on those days. When I cut carbs too low on lifting days, my lifting seems to suffer severly. I had a bf% test taken at work yesterday, one of those handheld things that you enter all the info and it shoots a current through you and tells you bmi and bf%, it said 20% but I think I'm lower than that because my abs are starting to show. The weight that was entered into it was about 7-10 lbs heavier than what I am too, I don't know how that might affect the numbers. I was fully clothed with a long sleeved fleece and steel-toe shoes.
Sounds like the whackest-ass BF% test I've ever heard of.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i think that sounds perfectly logical. you want to be burning fat during your cardio, so you want to keep insulin levels low anyway.

a good cardio session right when you wake up on empty stomach, then 30-50% of your carbs in the morning and the rest spread out through the earlier meals would seem perfect for a "cardio-day"

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
i think that sounds perfectly logical. you want to be burning fat during your cardio, so you want to keep insulin levels low anyway.

a good cardio session right when you wake up on empty stomach, then 30-50% of your carbs in the morning and the rest spread out through the earlier meals would seem perfect for a "cardio-day"
I believe he hit the nail on the head i usually go for a run first thing in the morning usually around 7:00 or so then get my carbs in after and it works very well im currently bulking atm so am not losing weight doing it but in the past ive used it to cut and i did something like 200 carbs lift days 100 cardio days give or take if i remember correctley.