Big guy needs a little help

scb2121

Awards
I have been trying to lose weight for a while and just can't seem to. A year and a half ago I weighed 170 now I am up to almost 210, The weight gain occurred during a period of time where I was stressed and my diet probably reflected so. Around the time I gained weight, I had my appendix removed, my job went to hell, and my mom who had been struggling with brain cancer for 5+ years got extremely sick. She recently passed and I think it is time to get my life in order and get back in shape. I have tried ckd, low carb ...etc and just cant seem to stick to them like I need to. So now I am just trying to cut calories hoping that will help

I have a few weaknesses, I love chipotle, i have a genetically blessed (which i am not so) girlfriend who is very persuasive, I have a tenancy to overdo the supplements, and I work a desk job/go to school.

I am 5'11, age 21, 210lbs with 28% body fat, genetically i am predisposed to being muscular, but also to carry extra weight (my dad is a firefighter and in his prime, max bench 435, was still a bit chubby)

I am currently taking DCP 3 caps 3x a day, CLA 8 caps a day, adreanalean 2 caps 2x, green tea 1 cap 2x, lean xtreme 3x a day, XTEND pre and during workout, whey 1 scoop 1x a day, and ZMK pre bed. ALCAR, Beta Alanine, and Creatine pre workout.

I do full body lifting 3x a week 10 reps 8 sets followed by 20min HIIT cardio, 3 other days I do either HIIT 2x a day or 45 min of cardio.

My recent food intake is typical of

Apple and Almonds or bowl of oatmeal for breakfast
Cliff Builders bar as a mid morning snack
Tuna, Almonds and Salad with vinegarette for lunch
Whey for a snack pre workout
Chipotle burrito bowl for dinner (meat, cheese, salsa, veggies, lettuce, beans) ~450 cals
and a cup of light yogurt as dessert.
Typical daily totals
Cals = 1750-1800
Fat = 65 grams
Carbs = 175
Protein = 125 not including BCAAs

Can anybody provide me with recommendations to get this ball rolling? I could really use anything.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have been trying to lose weight for a while and just can't seem to. A year and a half ago I weighed 170 now I am up to almost 210, The weight gain occurred during a period of time where I was stressed and my diet probably reflected so. Around the time I gained weight, I had my appendix removed, my job went to hell, and my mom who had been struggling with brain cancer for 5+ years got extremely sick. She recently passed and I think it is time to get my life in order and get back in shape. I have tried ckd, low carb ...etc and just cant seem to stick to them like I need to. So now I am just trying to cut calories hoping that will help

I have a few weaknesses, I love chipotle, i have a genetically blessed (which i am not so) girlfriend who is very persuasive, I have a tenancy to overdo the supplements, and I work a desk job/go to school.

I am 5'11, age 21, 210lbs with 28% body fat, genetically i am predisposed to being muscular, but also to carry extra weight (my dad is a firefighter and in his prime, max bench 435, was still a bit chubby)

I am currently taking DCP 3 caps 3x a day, CLA 8 caps a day, adreanalean 2 caps 2x, green tea 1 cap 2x, lean xtreme 3x a day, XTEND pre and during workout, whey 1 scoop 1x a day, and ZMK pre bed. ALCAR, Beta Alanine, and Creatine pre workout.

I do full body lifting 3x a week 10 reps 8 sets followed by 20min HIIT cardio, 3 other days I do either HIIT 2x a day or 45 min of cardio.

My recent food intake is typical of

Apple and Almonds or bowl of oatmeal for breakfast
Cliff Builders bar as a mid morning snack
Tuna, Almonds and Salad with vinegarette for lunch
Whey for a snack pre workout
Chipotle burrito bowl for dinner (meat, cheese, salsa, veggies, lettuce, beans) ~450 cals
and a cup of light yogurt as dessert.
Typical daily totals
Cals = 1750-1800
Fat = 65 grams
Carbs = 175
Protein = 125 not including BCAAs

Can anybody provide me with recommendations to get this ball rolling? I could really use anything.

lower your carb intake. I currently am consuming < 40 per day, trying to lose fat and retain muscle. Up your protein as well. I eat 250grams of protein per day and I weigh 188. Try varying your cardio as well, go for long distance 30 min+ and do some HIIT as well as incline walking.

also what are your specific goals? as far as weight loss? and what kind of creatine are you taking?

i see that you tried low carb already, but I think you should limit your carb intake much more. maybe try < 100?

scb2121

Awards
I think that is more than feasible, a lot of my carbs are fiber, i consume flax, beans... etc, some are sugar alcohols, obviously these don't effect insulin and etc like sugar and other carbs, should these be counted the same way. I will try varying my cardio and i am taking bulk dicreatine malate from np. Should the increased protein be from whole foods or whey, or a combo of both?

My main goal is to lose fat, i would like to get down to 175-185, and gain some muscle def, not necessarily get ripped but toned would be nice. I have a fair amount of muscle mass but it just doesn't show.

Jeremy Brown

Jeremy Brown

Awards
  • Established
definitely a combo of both... know your body and judge your hunger, if your appetite is significantly increased consume more whole food sources like an extra chicken breast (cook a significant amount and refrigerate them for a quick heat up). if you just want a small snack then a scoop of whey is a great way to curve your appetite and hold you over until your next meal.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
definitely a combo of both... know your body and judge your hunger, if your appetite is significantly increased consume more whole food sources like an extra chicken breast (cook a significant amount and refrigerate them for a quick heat up). if you just want a small snack then a scoop of whey is a great way to curve your appetite and hold you over until your next meal.
yea man, it seems like you got everything under control except your diet. And diet is the thing that will really get your results.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think that is more than feasible, a lot of my carbs are fiber, i consume flax, beans... etc, some are sugar alcohols, obviously these don't effect insulin and etc like sugar and other carbs, should these be counted the same way. I will try varying my cardio and i am taking bulk dicreatine malate from np. Should the increased protein be from whole foods or whey, or a combo of both?

My main goal is to lose fat, i would like to get down to 175-185, and gain some muscle def, not necessarily get ripped but toned would be nice. I have a fair amount of muscle mass but it just doesn't show.

both, but you really need to the whole foods.

fish, chicken, beef, pork all of it is good.

scb2121

Awards
So diet is ok just less carbs more protein? I'll try to cut the carbs down to 100 or less, if i don't get the results I want I'll go for 50, should that be a drop to 150, 125,100...etc thing or can i just drop straight to 100 or 50?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really reading that first post seems like what you mostly need is some patience. everything looks good there. if it took you 18+ months to gain the 40lbs, no reason to think it should take all that much less to loose it.

scb2121

Awards
really reading that first post seems like what you mostly need is some patience. everything looks good there. if it took you 18+ months to gain the 40lbs, no reason to think it should take all that much less to loose it.
That's the troubling thing, it only took 3 or so to gain it, I've just been trying on my own since then to lose it.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm i thought from the above that it was over the last 18. Well time to retrain yourself. Forget about any sort of "diet", figure out how you were eating and should eat if you weighed 170, and just eat that way. Its what you'll have to do to maintain 170 anyhow, and you'll slowly head in that direction that way.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
post workout shake should be protein + 1-2 scoops of natural peanut butter. i would lower the carbs, up the fat and protein. calorie wise though, you're probably on the right track, though 1800 calories daily for someone doing HIIT may be too little.

scb2121

Awards
post workout shake should be protein + 1-2 scoops of natural peanut butter. i would lower the carbs, up the fat and protein. calorie wise though, you're probably on the right track, though 1800 calories daily for someone doing HIIT may be too little.

For the post workout should I do Whey or Mixed protein, and recommend milk or water with that shake?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
For the post workout should I do Whey or Mixed protein, and recommend milk or water with that shake?
whey or mixed, i don't think it makes a big difference. whey is absorbed faster, but mixed protein lets your body absorb more. i would take it with water if the taste is OK - the carbs in milk aren't going to be your friend.

EDIT : also, taper down your carbs, so 3 hours before bed you're only taking in meat/fats and the occasional trace carb from veggies.