Metabolic Rate?

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
What's the BEST way to figure your metabolic rate? There's those calculators on some websites but the answers vary a little. Is there a 'best website' or should you go the old fashioned way and do it with a formula? If so, what's your formula?

I used one of the calculators and it said my metabolic rate (including activity) was 2,533. That sound right for my stats (Male, 5' 10", 172 lbs.)?

jtp217

jtp217

Awards
Your best indicator is a food log. Start w/ something generic and slowly mold it to you.

For weight loss start w/ the old BW x 12-13 and monitor your weight and strength while using those calories for a week or two. If you weight slowly comes down then stick w/ it. If you drop a bunch real quick and your strength goes down, up you cals. Same goes for the other way. If you weight doesn't move at all adjust accordingly.

It's really to individual for any equation to predict accurately.

petey7408

petey7408

Banned
Awards
Your best indicator is a food log. Start w/ something generic and slowly mold it to you.

For weight loss start w/ the old BW x 12-13 and monitor your weight and strength while using those calories for a week or two. If you weight slowly comes down then stick w/ it. If you drop a bunch real quick and your strength goes down, up you cals. Same goes for the other way. If you weight doesn't move at all adjust accordingly.

It's really to individual for any equation to predict accurately.
Oh yeah, bro. I know it matters individually, just wanted to know the best starting point. Thanks man.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
theres an actual metabolic test you can take, where they monitor oxygen utilization, etc. some colleges have the equipment to do it

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
theres an actual metabolic test you can take, where they monitor oxygen utilization, etc. some colleges have the equipment to do it
bingo

blakkbwoy

blakkbwoy

Awards
The one I took was the oxygen one and that is actually suppose to be the most accurate