I Gained 15lbs in about 3 Days.

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
Lol.

As of this past thursday I was a solid 165lbs (home scale & bodpod evaluation) and 12%bf. Headed out afterwards thursday on a vacation with the family for the weekend. After several months of strict dieting, last week I found myself totally burned out...so I told myself I would take this long weekend "off" and not count calories, stress too much over macros, etc. There wasnt a gym accessible anyway so this was 4 full days OFF. Vacation is my wife and both our families, and is one of those where everyone cooks like its Thanksgiving ;)

Well, I didnt necessarily eat like a madman, but I certainly exceeded Mx calories every day in eating 3 monster cooked meals a day, with a snack or two in between (the occasional cookie or brownie my wife made.) Lots of fantastic meats, veggies, potatoes, etc. I also drank maybe 8-10 beers throughout the course of the 4 days.

Now I knew I would probably gain a lb or 3, and had accepted that mentally. I also knew that coming off the cut that my water retention was low as well as glycogen stores...so I figured I would gain a few lbs there (that could be dropped in a day or two.) I told myself that I couldnt step on the scale until next sunday after a full week in the gym, as that would give me a more accurate idea of where Im at. I broke down. Just for grins I stepped on the scale this afternoon before catching a shower.

180lbs.

I damn near threw up all over myself. I know I gained a ton of water weight...but how much water weight and weight gain can one person achieve in a long weekend? Even with 10lbs of water weight, that leaves around 5lbs of weight gain. Theres about 3500 cals in 1lb of bodyfat right? That would mean that I had to have eaten my maintenance calories PLUS about 17,500 cals in the past 4 days. There is no way. Either way...lesson learned.

Still...Ill be curious to see where I weigh in at the end of the week. Im going to get back in rhythm first thing tomorrow morning. I still have a goal of hitting single digit bodyfat by summertime. Hopefully I didnt just put that out of range. :( Way to go fatty.

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
You'd be suprised...I bet you end up right down at 165 again within 7 - 10 days...

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Lol.

As of this past thursday I was a solid 165lbs (home scale & bodpod evaluation) and 12%bf. Headed out afterwards thursday on a vacation with the family for the weekend. After several months of strict dieting, last week I found myself totally burned out...so I told myself I would take this long weekend "off" and not count calories, stress too much over macros, etc. There wasnt a gym accessible anyway so this was 4 full days OFF. Vacation is my wife and both our families, and is one of those where everyone cooks like its Thanksgiving ;)

Well, I didnt necessarily eat like a madman, but I certainly exceeded Mx calories every day in eating 3 monster cooked meals a day, with a snack or two in between (the occasional cookie or brownie my wife made.) Lots of fantastic meats, veggies, potatoes, etc. I also drank maybe 8-10 beers throughout the course of the 4 days.

Now I knew I would probably gain a lb or 3, and had accepted that mentally. I also knew that coming off the cut that my water retention was low as well as glycogen stores...so I figured I would gain a few lbs there (that could be dropped in a day or two.) I told myself that I couldnt step on the scale until next sunday after a full week in the gym, as that would give me a more accurate idea of where Im at. I broke down. Just for grins I stepped on the scale this afternoon before catching a shower.

180lbs.

I damn near threw up all over myself. I know I gained a ton of water weight...but how much water weight and weight gain can one person achieve in a long weekend? Even with 10lbs of water weight, that leaves around 5lbs of weight gain. Theres about 3500 cals in 1lb of bodyfat right? That would mean that I had to have eaten my maintenance calories PLUS about 17,500 cals in the past 4 days. There is no way. Either way...lesson learned.

Still...Ill be curious to see where I weigh in at the end of the week. Im going to get back in rhythm first thing tomorrow morning. I still have a goal of hitting single digit bodyfat by summertime. Hopefully I didnt just put that out of range. :( Way to go fatty.

I wouldn't sweat it. I have gained as much as 10 lbs after a 48 hr carb refeed. Like you said, you didn't eat enough calories to gain that much fat.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
You probably gained only a few pounds with the rest being water.

Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot

Awards
I would assume you are all correct...and if you are, beers on me in a few weeks when I come off the cut!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, dont forget just digestive tract difference, you can just about count on pooping out 2-3 of those pounds as you go back to lower food intake. between that, glycogen, water, etc you might be up 1-2 real pounds

Chet231

Awards
hit the gym hard for a good week to ten days with alot of cardio and it will come off same thing happened to me about a month ago.