this is what i eat how good is this any advice

jordan19

Awards
hey everyone a week ago i was 254 and now im done to 244 so lost 10 pounds in a week not to bad i guess. i wanna lose maybe another 25 or so then start liftin and gain some muscle.

for breakfast 6 am
i eat 1 package of reg oatmeal
2 full eggs and 2 egg whites
and 6 ounces of unsweetened grapefruit juice
2 fish oil pills and orange triad by controlled labs

mid snack 9 am
i eat ground turkey 2 servings of it real low in fat and high in protein

lunch noon
a peice and a half of grilled chicken and veggies
6 ounces of grapefruit juice

snack kinda 330 pm
a peice of grilled chicken
a half cup of cottage cheese

then i run on a machine 4 miles or so at like 530pm

then i eat for dinner 630
peice and a half of chicken
veggies
and 6 ounces of grapefruit juice
2 fish oil pills and orange triad by controlled labs

then before bed i have a half cup of cottage cheese

any advice in changing anything??
and also i wanna take a fat burner anyadvice?

thapr3dat0r

Awards
Diet looks very good. Are you counting your calories? You seem to be making good progress, which is normal to lose lots of fat at first. When progress begins to slow, dont worry its normal as long as you're aware of how many calories you're taking in. If its on point, you will continue to lose fat. As you lose more and more weight you may find the need to continue to drop calories to continue to lose fat.

The only advice I have as far as your diet is to eat a grapefruit instead of juice. You get all the fiber and thermogenesis of digesting the whole fruit.

jordan19

Awards
thanks very much. how many calories is a good amount?

thapr3dat0r

Awards
thanks very much. how many calories is a good amount?
According to your weight, probably around 3000 calories. But this is just an estimate. You may need a bit more or less, everyone is different. But you don't want to drop your calories too low because that may slow your metabolism. Some calculate caloric needs based on lean body mass and some on total body weight. I'd say there is no need for you to try to calculate your lean body weight at this point. Just keep eating the way you are now, do tons of cardio and you will lose fat. Oh yeah, dont wait to start lifting weights. Strength training is important when trying to lose fat because simply, muscle burns fat. The more muscle you have compared to fat the higher your metabolism will be. You want to maintain your current muscle or gain if possible.

jordan19

Awards
should i do cardio before weight training or cardio after? to burn the most fat?

thapr3dat0r

Awards
should i do cardio before weight training or cardio after? to burn the most fat?
Besides fasted cardio shortly after you wake up, cardio after weights is the most effective IMO. But to completely honest, it is good to do cardio whenever you can, as long as you do it. Feel me?

I will try to dig up the studies to back this.

jordan19

Awards
ok thanks yeah i will let you know how it goes. i plan on starting to lift on monday so hopefully everything goes well. when i do that should i up my fat and carbs?

thapr3dat0r

Awards
ok thanks yeah i will let you know how it goes. i plan on starting to lift on monday so hopefully everything goes well. when i do that should i up my fat and carbs?
Usually I don't like low carb diets, even when shedding fat. Especially when your doing lots of cardio and your goal is long term sustained fat loss. Low carb diets have their place but I only think they are good for short term fat loss. But it may be beneficial for you, give it a shot and try it out for yourself. The most important thing is overall calories. As long as your eating less calories than you burn you will lose fat.

Fats are also essential. But only the healthy fats, of course. Fish, nuts, beef, flax seed oil, extra virgin olive oil etc.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
Usually I don't like low carb diets, even when shedding fat. Especially when your doing lots of cardio and your goal is long term sustained fat loss. Low carb diets have their place but I only think they are good for short term fat loss. But it may be beneficial for you, give it a shot and try it out for yourself. The most important thing is overall calories. As long as your eating less calories than you burn you will lose fat.

Fats are also essential. But only the healthy fats, of course. Fish, nuts, beef, flax seed oil, extra virgin olive oil etc.
So far, this guy has given similar advice to what I would have given. If you feel that you are overweight and trying to drop down before you really start to work on leaning down and cutting, then the whole low carb thing shouldn't be a big issue. You're diet is spot on as long as you can maintain that regimen. A lot of folks can't stand to eat that low carb for that long, and I'm assuming you are doing this long term to keep weight off permanently.

Eventually, your body will go into a starvation mode or ketosis which will cause your liver to produce glucose sources from a process called gluconeogenesis (when the liver creates glucose from stored protein and fat stores). In my personal case, this has caused a trigger in me to eat very high carb foods and it was difficult to control the urges. I've learned from my past and adjusted to keep this from happening.

You are doing wonderful right now, but don't be afraid of the carbs. Eat whole grains and complex carbs. And like pr3dator said go ahead and become acclimated to the weights. I try to stay lean but I still throw around heavy weights for a female, the more lean mass the faster the metabolism will be to burn fat.

jordan19

Awards
im changing my diet a little bit is this a good idea
breakfast is the same

mid snack
bannana protein shake and 2 hard boiled eggs

lunch im addin 1/2 cup of brown rice to it

snack same plus 2 hard boiled eggs

dinner

i need a quick carb for after my workout and suggestions?

jordan19

Awards
oh and im going to have protein shake before and after my workouts

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
I personally like to have a simple carb source pre-workout and then a protein source post-workout. I do this to get the energy to sustain the workout and then to have readily available protein after so that when your muscles are trying to repair from being torn down you have some amino acids to take up. There is a small window after your workout, I want to say less than an hour, that your dietary intake will be optimum for repair. My husband drinks amino acids during his workout, same school of thought.

Pre-workout I eat a cup of fat free yogurt with fruit and granola, or pb ezekiel bread with a bit of drizzled honey.

Post-workout I have milk with protein, or cottage cheese.

Of course this is my own opinion, not everyone may agree, but it has worked for me.

thapr3dat0r

Awards
I like all my meals to be balanced, consisting of protein, fibrous carbs (veggies), starchy carbs (brown rice, potatoes) and fat (usually included in your meat). This way you have sustained aminos and energy feeding your body throughout the day.

Generally, I like to limit my intake of simple carbs. However, before and after a workout is the exception. During this time feel free to add in simple carbs and definitely more protein. Simple carbs pre-workout (to fuel workouts, like littlejeni said), post-workout (to spike insulin and replenish glycogen stores), and in the morning if you must (first two meals or so).

I like fruit and waximaize starch. Dextrose & maltodextrin are also good.

Also, with regard to fats. I highly recommend flax seed oil. I always throw in a tablespoon with my protein shakes since they usually have limited fats to begin with. You can supplement with fish oil also but you have to take a bunch of capsules to equal one tablespoon of flax seed oil. That is, unless your willing to take in liquid fish oil :yuck:

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
absolutely right, in order for your body to take up the protein post-workout, get a carb source in there to increase your insulin. This is a signal for your body to take up the nutrients that you are giving it. Forgot to mention that.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Ideally I'd go with a Dextrose/Maltodextrin mix... those are going to effect your blood glucose levels the fastest as they are both readily absorbed into the bloodstream instead of being converted in the liver, which means they will also spike your insulin the fastest.

For the cardio aspect, I can't name or quote a study off hand but fasted cardio or post-lifting cardio is the better simply because the body is burning more fat for energy instead of muscle glycogen.

And if you wanna add some variety I'd say throw some canned tuna in there if you like the taste. I'd go with any kind of Chunk Lite Tuna, as its supposed to have the lowest mercury levels.

jordan19

Awards
ok thanks you all very much. i will let you know how things go

thapr3dat0r

Awards
Early morning fasted cardio: Increase fat burning by up to 300%

Early morning fasted cardio: A simple method to increase the fat burning effects of your cardio by up to 300%

Any time of day that suits your schedule is a good time for cardio. The important thing is that you just do it. However, many bodybuilders and fitness models believe that early morning fasted cardio burns more body fat. Although this is still controversial, the evidence is strong and there are many reasons to consider doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The argument in favor of fasted early morning cardio goes something like this:

1. After an overnight 8-12 hour fast, your body's stores of glycogen are depleted and you burn more fat when glycogen is low.

2. Eating causes a release of insulin. Insulin interferes with the mobilization of body fat. Less insulin is present in the morning; so more body fat is burned when cardio is done in the morning.

3. There is less carbohydrate (glucose) in the bloodstream when you wake up after an overnight fast. With less glucose available, you burn more fat.

4. If you eat immediately before a workout, you have to burn off what you just ate first before tapping into stored body fat (and insulin is elevated after a meal.)

5. When you do cardio in the morning, your metabolism stays elevated for a period of time after the workout is over. If you do cardio in the evening, you burn calories during the session, but you fail to take advantage of the "afterburn" effect because your metabolic rate drops dramatically as soon as you go to sleep.

6. Morning cardio gives you a feeling of accomplishment and makes you feel great all day by releasing mood-enhancing endorphins.

7. Morning cardio "energizes" you and "wakes you up."

8. Morning cardio may help regulate your appetite for the rest of the day.

9. Your body’s circadian rhythm adjusts to your morning routine, making it easier to wake up at the same time every day.

10. You’ll be less likely to "blow off" your workout when it’s out of the way early (like when you’re exhausted after work or when friends ask you to join them at the pub for happy hour).

- Tom Venuto, BURN THE FAT, FEED THE MUSCLE

thapr3dat0r

Awards
Cardio & Lifting

Should I do my cardio and lifting in the same session or in separate sessions?

When you do your training is not nearly as important as just doing it consistently. Timing is a secondary and highly overrated factor. Don’t lose sleep over this or get caught up in the arguments either way. However, if you’re doing cardio and weights on the same day and your schedule allows it, it’s probably ideal to split your cardio and weights into separate sessions (especially if you’re interested in gaining muscle as well as losing fat). For example, you could do 30-45 minutes of cardio early in the morning and 30-45 minutes of weight training in the late morning, afternoon, or evening. This twice a day schedule has several potential benefits:

1) It allows you to get a meal quickly after your weights, which maximizes recovery and muscle growth (very important if muscle growth is one of your goals).

2) It gives you a double boost in metabolism instead of a single post exercise
metabolic increase.

3) It allows you to get the benefits of fasted morning cardio.

4) It gives you more energy for each individual session, instead of one long, energy draining session. When you do weights and cardio together, whichever you do last tends to suffer because your energy levels start to decline.

5) It maximizes hormonal response to exercise for maximal fat loss and muscle
growth.

6) It minimizes the possibility of overtraining.

Unfortunately, twice a day training isn’t always practical. If two sessions a day doesn’t fit into your schedule, then doing your cardio immediately after your weight training is also effective. The only drawback to doing weights and cardio in the same session is that the workouts can become very long and tiring; sometimes 75-90 minutes (for example, 45 minutes of weight training, followed by 30-45 minutes of cardio).

Some people are terrified about the possibility of losing muscle when doing these long sessions. Ironically, the worrying probably causes more muscle loss than anything! Worry and stress are highly catabolic. Instead of worrying, simply measure your body fat, chart your progress and keep a close eye on lean body mass. As long as you’re not restricting calories too severely, you’ll probably discover that you maintain your LBM just fine.

- Tom Venuto, BURN THE FAT, FEED THE MUSCLE

jordan19

Awards
if i am doing cardio right after weights should i have protein and carbs right after the weights or after the protein?